Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Studies of financial contributes of museums to local economies

Posted 01-05-2017 09:22 AM
    Good morning AAM colleagues,

I would like to inquire about studies and/or surveys demonstrating the financial contribution of small to medium-sized museums on the economy of local municipalities.  Alternatively, data for large institutions would also be appreciated as a baseline/proxy.

Thank you very much and have a wonderful day.

Respectfully,

Cheryl 

Cheryl M. McCormick, Ph.D.
    Executive Director
    Lindsay Wildlife Experience
    1931 First Avenue
    Walnut Creek, CA  94597
    Phone: 925-627-2919

Please remember Lindsay Wildlife Experience in your will or estate planning.
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Studies of financial contributes of museums to local economies

Posted 01-06-2017 09:00 AM

A 2014 study completed by the Economics Center at the University of Cincinnati found that Cincinnati Museum Center's economic impact on the region was about  $114 million per year. This included:

• Generating more than $1.9 million in tax revenue for Cincinnati, Hamilton County and other jurisdictions within the county
    • Producing 1,278 jobs (including the 389 people directly employed by the museums or their contractors and jobs in other businesses, especially hotels, restaurants, retail stores and other recreation businesses)
    • Attracting nearly $40 million from outside the metro region
    • Total museums spending of almost $29 million and off-site visitor spending of more than $25 million

Here is a link to the press release: Economics Center releases economic impact study of Cincinnati Museum Center

If you would like more information, you can contact me directly at rgibboney@cincymsueum.org

Cincymuseum remove preview
    Economics Center releases economic impact study of Cincinnati Museum Center
    June 23, 2014 Media Contacts: Cody Hefner, Cincinnati Museum Center (513) 287-7054, chefner@cincymuseum.org Jaclyn Smith, Economics Center (513) 556-2986, smjc@ucmail.uc.edu CINCINNATI - The Economics Center at the University of Cincinnati released today an economic impact study of Cincinnati Museum Center.
    View this on Cincymuseum >
    ------------------------------
    Robyn Gibboney PhD GPC
    Director of Grants
    Cincinnati Museum Center at Union Terminal
    Cincinnati OH

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Studies of financial contributes of museums to local economies

Posted 01-06-2017 09:04 AM
    1. This will only work if you collect zip codes of your general public attendees... Contact your local Convention & Visitors Bureau. They probably have a per-person dollar value for  - 1) out-of-town visitors coming in for the day, 2) staying overnight but at a relative or friend rather a hotel, 3) staying overnight at a hotel, 4) convention attendees. Multiply the number of your out-of-town visitors (I usually remove school field trips when I run these numbers) by one of those CVB levels and you have your tourism impact on the local economy. My guess is that you'll have to use the lowest number since you probably don't get visitor data on where they stay overnight. however, it also allows you to state your impact is a minimum of $XYZ.

2. Elected officials and community leaders also like to hear how many employees you have. Providing jobs is an invaluable measure of your economic impact. 

Make sure to post these 2 numbers on your museum's web site, fact sheet and/or annual report!

Martin

--

Martin S. Fisher
    Executive Director
    Science Central
    1950 North Clinton Street
    Fort Wayne, IN  46805
    Phone: (260) 424-2400 ext. 441
    Cell: (260) 452-4047

Spark Your Imagination!

• 4.  RE: Studies of financial contributes of museums to local economies

Posted 01-06-2017 11:21 AM

You may also find the Economic Impact Statement template and samples on our website useful. The samples page includes the wonderful Cincinnati Museum Center study, and examples from a variety of types and sizes of museums and organizations.

Economic Impact Statement

Sample Economic Impact Statements

You can also use our online advocacy tools to share this information (including how many people your museum employs) with your members of Congress: Tell Congress About Your Museum's Economic Impact

Thanks, Ember

Ember Farber
    Director, Advocacy
    American Alliance of Museums
    efarber@aam-us.org

• 5.  RE: Studies of financial contributes of museums to local economies

Posted 01-06-2017 11:38 AM

Deloitte did an economic impact study for us a few years back. I could connect you with our Dir Finance to see if there are any ratios that could be applied to Lindsay. Contact me directly  at mfelder@calacademy.org

Melissa Felder
    Chief Revenue and Marketing Officer
    California Academy of Sciences
    San Francisco CA
    Chief Marketing OfficerChief Marketing Officer

• 6.  RE: Studies of financial contributes of museums to local economies

Posted 01-06-2017 01:55 PM

I would suggest you contact the California Association of Museums and see what they have available.    The website is calmuseums.org and their program manager is Jessica Monahan: programs@calmuseums.org.

Janice Klein
    Executive Director
    Museum Association of Arizona
    Tempe AZ

• 7.  RE: Studies of financial contributes of museums to local economies

Posted 01-09-2017 08:21 AM

Museums whose directors are members of AAMD have the opportunity to work with the AAMD staff in Washington DC to 'map' their communities in order to gauge their impact on the local, regional, state and national levels.  Not all members have availed themselves of this opportunity, but if you visit their website you can get a sense of what I mean.  If your museum director is a member of AAMD they can also request to work with AAMD to achieve the mapping and determine your impact.

Karol Wight
    President & Executive Director
    Corning Museum of Glass
    Corning NY