Open Forum

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Vinyl Wall Text

• 1.  Vinyl Wall Text

Posted 10-05-2021 11:27 AM
    I've been using Oracal 631 vinyl on painted walls for exhibit titles with varying results. Sometimes it comes off just fine after the exhibition and sometimes it takes the paint off. Does anyone have suggestions for other types of vinyl? We give the paint at least a week to cure if we have repainted the walls. But that doesn't seem to be the issue. Sometimes the walls have not been repainted and it still takes off the paint. Any advice is welcomed!

------------------------------
    Mary Delaney
    Marketing Director
    Museum of Russian Icons
    Clinton MA
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Vinyl Wall Text

Posted 10-06-2021 10:04 AM
    Hi Mary,

I sadly don't come with advice, but understanding. We use the same type of vinyl and have the same issues. From research done the tackiness of the vinyl or lack there of can be caused by temperature and humidity changes. The weather outside on the day you put it up or take it down can have an affect on its tackiness. We also use flat paint on our walls which isn't the greatest friend to vinyl installations. I have also found that the shelf life of vinyl is fairly short, 3-4 months; I have some of my rolls for YEARS! We just don't go through the rolls aw quickly as other industries. 

- I feel your pain!

Amelia Whitehead
    Collections Manager
    International Museum of Art & Science
    McAllen TX

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Vinyl Wall Text

Posted 10-06-2021 10:23 AM
    Good to hear we're not alone! The humidity and temperature might be reasons why it comes off sometimes and not others. I'll suggest that to the exhibition installer. Not that we can control the weather!

Thanks!

Mary Delaney
    Marketing Director
    Museum of Russian Icons
    Clinton MA

• 4.  RE: Vinyl Wall Text

Posted 10-06-2021 10:41 AM
    Hi, again. 
    If you have a Montroy Supply in your area, they sale some colors by the yard, which cuts down on the lingering rolls.
    -Dawn

• 5.  RE: Vinyl Wall Text

Posted 10-06-2021 10:15 AM

Hi
    How are you removing the text? We generally use a paint scrapper to get the chunks of small text off and pull the large stuff off at an extreme angle. Clean up the area and then touch up the paint. Angling the vinyl as you remove the big stuff makes a difference on large pieces.
    Oracal is a good quality vinyl. You can try 3m and see if that makes a difference but my guess is it has more to do with the paint and drywall than the vinyl. 

here is the info sheet from oracal
    https://sw-swblog.s3.amazonaws.com/www.signwarehouse.com/blog/User+Guides/Removable-wall-graphics.pdf
    -Dawn

Dawn Farkas Prasad
    Exhibit Designer, graphics
    Natural History Museum of Utah - University of Utah
    Salt Lake City UT

• 6.  RE: Vinyl Wall Text

Posted 10-06-2021 10:20 AM
    Thanks, Dawn.  We usually just peel it off by hand. I'll talk to our installer and suggest he try a paint scraper. Thanks for the advice and link!

Mary Delaney
    Marketing Director
    Museum of Russian Icons
    Clinton MA

• 7.  RE: Vinyl Wall Text

Posted 10-06-2021 12:14 PM
    Hi Mary,

I have so much to say it'll be hard to contain it all here. I'm happy to get on a live call with you (or anyone here) to clarify any of this. I too love the Orocal 631 matte vinyl, but sadly my issue is that it doesn't stick well enough to the wall during the transfer tape process (I put a whole video together about this issue and some general tips and tricks here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcT2eVlVMpU - no ads just pure helpful content from me.

That said, I will agree with folks that it is likely your paint. We switched to a new paint that touches up and cleans up better, but it meant that the vinyl doesn't stick as well anymore. The trade off is fine and worth it, but I recently moved over to Avery which is slightly more expensive and they have fewer matte colors, but the vinyl is like a dream - going on and coming off. It saves time and anguish. So you may play around with new paint companies if you have another to choose from, or perpahs use the next sheen up? We use Benjamin Moore - Regal, Matte finsih for the changing galleries. Ror the permanent galleries we use the Aura line because those galleires get touched up over many many years and the color matching is better even over time.

For removal, we recenlty moved to a soft flexible "razor blade" on a handle by Scraperite. Before that it was all picked by fingers because we didn't want to leave all the residue behind, the paint scrapers tend to be a little heavy handed in tht regard - they make for quick work that's for sure. I saw a video where someone used duct tape and it pulled all the letters well, but we haven't tried that yet.

I agree with Dawn below, there are many companies that will sell by the foot. I use fellers, they are excellent. Some colors they can't sell by the foot but many can.

SOOooooo many tips and tricks out there. If I might promote my passion project for a moment, this is the kind of stuff I'm looking to archive into a seachable database of guides, tips and tricks. I'm adding articles slowly and surely and I could use everyone's help in adding more. Please head over to MuseumTrade.org and find a few fun things for yourself and please seriously consider adding some content for future generations! What is ordinary to you will be someone's epiphany, I promise.

We're in it toegther,
    Matt

Matthew Isble
    Exhibit Designer & Founder of MuseumTrade.org
    misble@crockerartmuseum.org
    Crocker Art Museum
    Sacramento CA

• 8.  RE: Vinyl Wall Text

Posted 10-06-2021 01:16 PM
    Wow! Thank you so much for all of that info. I will watch the video and check out museumtrade.org. I’ll talk to the exhibition installer about paint types and see if I can find a company that uses Avery vinyl to try out for the next exhibit. We don’t create our own in house.

I’ll keep you posted on our vinyl journey. Thanks again!
    Mary

Sent from my iPhone

• 9.  RE: Vinyl Wall Text

Posted 10-06-2021 05:26 PM
    It's a journey, good luck!

Matthew Isble
    Exhibit Designer & Founder of MuseumTrade.org
    Crocker Art Museum
    Sacramento CA

• 10.  RE: Vinyl Wall Text

Posted 10-07-2021 02:11 PM
    Hi Mary,

We have installed vinyl in a lot of exhibits, both temporary and permanent. Have you tried heating the vinyl before removing it? This can sometimes soften up to adhesive enough to make a big difference in how it lifts off of the paint.

Also, about paint selection: Some paints have stain blockers in them that make them near impossible to put vinyl on. I have seen entire murals slide right off of a wall due to this issue. (Benjamin Moore, I'm looking at you!) If you are changing to a new paint formula, I would discuss the ingredients with your supplier to make sure this won't be an issue.

If you are trying a new paint formula, I recommend doing a test in a back-of-house area. Replicate your current practice of letting the paint dry for a week first, apply your test vinyl, and monitor it over the coming weeks to see how it performs.

Hope this helps! I will be following your vinyl journey, too!

Melanie Greenaway
    Exhibit Designer
    Double Dare Design
    North Vancouver BC

• 11.  RE: Vinyl Wall Text

Posted 10-08-2021 06:14 AM
    I haven't tried using Oracle 631 on the walls of our Museum yet but I do work with it a lot and wonder if using a lighter touch when you burnish it. Meaning when you smooth it onto the wall and maybe even not burnishing the letters all the way to the bottom of the text might be helpful. I have found that the longer Oracle 631 is adhered to something the harder it is to peel so definitely remove it as soon as the exhibit ends.  One more tip. A earlier responder mentioned the tackiness of Oracle 361 which is a good point.  You could try making it less tacky before applying it by patting it with your hand or a t-shirt.  That's what those of us who work with paper do to make new cutting mats less tacky.

Anne Raymond

• 12.  RE: Vinyl Wall Text

Posted 10-08-2021 09:34 AM
    Hello,
    A hair dryer helps loosen the glue and it pulls off easier.   I usually just pick with my finger or putty knife to start an edge, then it pulls off with no problem.  Good luck.

Linda Cagney Hirtz
    Administrative Assistant
    Barry Art Museum
    Norfolk VA

• 13.  RE: Vinyl Wall Text

Posted 10-08-2021 10:12 AM
    We tried a heat gun to loosen it this last time, to no avail. Wall had to be patched and painted. But sometimes it peels off with my fingers, no problem. I guess it depends if the vinyl gods are happy that day.

Mary Delaney
    Marketing Director
    Museum of Russian Icons
    Clinton MA

• 14.  RE: Vinyl Wall Text

Posted 10-08-2021 09:58 AM
    Hey there,

I had a sign/vinyl colleague turn me on to Lil' Chizlers and they've been a game changer for me. They do wear out, but the amount of time I've saved peeling vinyl off of a wall has significantly reduced. Here's a link:

https://lilchizler.com/

Mike

Michael Loop
    Art Museum of WVU

Michael Loop
    Museum Preparator
    Art Museum of West Virginia University
    Morgantown WV

• 15.  RE: Vinyl Wall Text

Posted 10-08-2021 10:10 AM
    Thanks, Michael. I just ordered some!

Mary Delaney
    Marketing Director
    Museum of Russian Icons
    Clinton MA