Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Reversible Hanging Hardware Recommendations for Unframed Work on Paper?

Posted 08-19-2021 05:44 AM
    Hello and Good Morning All,

I am looking for some sort of reversible cleating system that can be attached to the back of works on paper and illustration board. 

I have seen custom cleats made with foam core board for unframed works on paper that looked quite beautiful, but this is outside my area of expertise, unfortunately.

Many thanks in advance for any and all suggestions!

Very best,
    N

------------------------------
    Nathaniel Hitchcock
    Roxbury NY
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Reversible Hanging Hardware Recommendations for Unframed Work on Paper?

Posted 08-20-2021 09:31 AM
    Hi Nathaniel,

I would recommend posting this question to PACCIN listserv. Good luck!

Best,
    Ana J

Ana Juarez
    Fine Arts Registrar
    Tampa DC

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Reversible Hanging Hardware Recommendations for Unframed Work on Paper?

Posted 08-23-2021 08:50 AM
    https://www.smallcorp.com/

Michelle Facini
    Conservator
    National Gallery of Art
    Washington DC

• 4.  RE: Reversible Hanging Hardware Recommendations for Unframed Work on Paper?

Posted 08-24-2021 01:01 PM
    You'll want to use an acid-free adhesive and simply cut foam board at a 45-degree angle. Keep in mind that the paper may pucker where glued and that this isn't really an archival quality move, but hey if it's your work, knock yourself out! Alternately I've seen some artists deliberately not attach anything to their paper and they stipulate a magnet system. That goes like this: A screw in the wall (not stainless steel of course) in 4 to as many spots as you need to safely hold it down. We did one with 8 a couple of years ago and 14 just a couple of months ago. Size matters. Then over the paper you put a small button magnet. We use neodymium magnets. The button size makes them subtle and harder for visitors to pick off. As touchy as visitors are, we never lost a magnet. You can even do a piece of tissue over the screw head so as to not scuff the back of the paper. I hope that helps.
    Come to think of it, I'm doing a summer article series on different types of hangers and ways of attaching things. I'll do a full article on MuseumTrade.org to cover this. It's a fun trick. Good luck with yours. Shoot me any further questions you have.
    Cheers,
    Matt

Matthew Isble
    Exhibit Designer & Founder of MuseumTrade.org
    misble@crockerartmuseum.org
    Crocker Art Museum
    Sacramento CA
    misble@crockerartmuseum.org