Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  looking for guidance to photography hardware for art

Posted 05-28-2020 04:30 PM
    We are preparing a grant request to IMLS and I've been tasked with determining what photography hardware we need for the project. We had received a list of recommended hardware from a local photographer for past applications that were turned down. So, I'm trying to update that list and I don't have any photography experience. The original list was as follows:

Apple MacBook Pro
    Nikon D5500
    Nikon AF-S DX Micro-NIKKOR
    Rosco Polarizing Filter Sheet
    Manfrotto Tripod
    Dynalite M1000 light kit
    Manfrotto Basic Light Stand
    Westcott 4835 Softbox 24x32" (61x81cm)
    Westcott 4834 Softbox 16x22" (40x56cm)
    PhaseOne Capture One Pro
    i1 Display Pro by X-Rite

Getting a current Macbook is not too challenging, but piecing together the camera, lens, lighting and software is where I'm uncomfortable. A critique on previous applications was that we hadn't selected a good enough camera. So, I'm putting the Nikon D500 in this grant with a compatible AF-S DX Micro-NIKKOR lens. I assume that will work. B&H Photo recommended the Profoto D1 Air 500w 2 Moolight along with a transceiver. I am able to get current information on the PhaseOne software and the i1 Display Pro. So, those products are still available.  

Is this a good setup?  Do you have other recommendations?  Thanks for any advice. 

------------------------------
    Matt Herring
    Director of Information Technology
    Harn Museum of Art - University of Florida
    Gainesville FL
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: looking for guidance to photography hardware for art

Posted 05-28-2020 04:49 PM
    Matt - you might want to add a good printer and print paper to that.

Gordon Lewis The Fine Arts Conservancy
    West Palm Beach, Fl.

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: looking for guidance to photography hardware for art

Posted 05-28-2020 05:47 PM
    Hi,
    I highly recommend the book Lighting Methods for Photographing Museum Objects:  https://app.pch.gc.ca/application/pub/category-categorie.app?id=530  If you can get that first, it might help you to make your selection and find justification.
    If you make that printer an archival printer, it will produce very long lasting prints (ink and paper are important too).
    I suggest adding a white photography tent but don't go too small.  Many are of fabric, mine by OrangeMonkie is like coroplast collapsing into a flat briefcase when not needed and it has adjustable LED's,
    For the Macro lens, I suggest the AF-S DX Micro NIKKOR 85mm F3.5G ED VR as you won't have to get as close and I found it much better than the AF-S DX Micro NIKKOR 40mm f/2.8G: https://www.nikonusa.com/en/nikon-products/product/camera-lenses/af-s-dx-micro-nikkor-85mm-f3.5g-ed-vr.html
    Don't forget different backgrounds: white, black, and grey.  You also want acid-neutral little things to prop up, stabilize, and angle what you are photographing.
    A turntable is also a good idea to turn the object around without manipulating it too much;  you can also use it to do 360° object videos.
    'Bye...
    --

Jean-Luc Vincent

Administrateur du SIA
    Direction des collections, de la conservation et de la restauration
    Direction générale des affaires autochtones et du patrimoine culturel
    Parcs Canada, Gouvernement du Canada
    2630, chemin Sheffield, Ottawa, Ontario, K1B 3V7
    Messages: jeanluc.vincent.parcsparks@gmail.com / Cell. 613-720-4418 / Fax 613-990-6627

AIS Administrator
    Collections, Curatorial and Conservation Branch
    Indigenous Affairs and Cultural Heritage Directorate
    Parks Canada, Government of Canada
    2630 Sheffield Road, Ottawa, Ontario, K1B 3V7
    Messages: jeanluc.vincent.parcsparks@gmail.com / Cell. 613-720-4418 / Fax 613-990-6627

450 000 km2 de souvenirs
     / 450 000 km2 of memories

• 4.  RE: looking for guidance to photography hardware for art

Posted 05-28-2020 07:26 PM

Excellent suggestions. Thank you.

Matt Herring

Director of Museum Technology

Harn Museum of Art, University of Florida

mherring@harn.ufl.edu ǀ 352.294.7078

PO Box 112700, 3259 Hull Rd., Gainesville, FL 32611

Admission is free | Become a Member for Free!

• 5.  RE: looking for guidance to photography hardware for art

Posted 05-29-2020 08:44 AM
    Matt,

Reach out to John Scott @ Roberts Camera in Indianapolis, tell them Jeff from the Florida Museum of Natural History sent you.  They will take care of you with your set-up and possible EDU discount on the equipment.  We use them exclusively.

https://robertscamera.com/pro-gov-edu

Jeffrey Gage
    Photographer
    Florida Museum of Natural History - University of Florida
    Gainesville FL

• 6.  RE: looking for guidance to photography hardware for art

Posted 06-01-2020 06:01 AM

I am a Canon user so I'm not going to make any recommendations regarding your choice of Nikon/Nikkor camera/lens but I would probably steer clear of choosing DynaLite for your strobe lighting- though they are portable and of good quality the company recently filed for bankruptcy protection. 

Steve Briggs
    Staff Photographer/Freelance Photographer
    Worcester Art Museum

Steve Briggs
    Worcester Art Museum
    Worcester MA

• 7.  RE: looking for guidance to photography hardware for art

Posted 06-01-2020 11:18 AM
    Hi Matt - as a Nikon user, I can say that the Nikon D500, though a great camera, is not the best choice in their line for this sort of work. You've chosen quite a bit of professional equipment with the Profoto lights and Capure One. The D500 is a crop-sensor camera, and there are limitations to the smaller sensor. For about the same money, you could get the Nikon D780 with the full size sensor. For long-term quality and best overall reproduction quality, the D850 is the top of the line camera, and paired with either the 60mm or 105mm macro, will provide excellent quality archival standard images. I would spend money on the camera and lens before putting so much into the lighting. The Profotos are excellent, top of the line, lights, but are very expensive. A fine alternative are the Paul C Buff Einstein lights - about a third of the price, but they offer similar quality. You can only buy them direct. 

Without knowing more about the project, I can't comment on the other equipment, but the Rosco polarizing sheet is a specialized use purchase, typically used to cross-polarize your lights.

Jonathan Smith
    Collections Photographer
    Jordan Schnitzer Museum of Art - University of Oregon

Jonathan Smith
    Museum Photographer/Collection
    Jordan Schnitzer Museum of Art - University of Oregon
    Eugene OR

• 8.  RE: looking for guidance to photography hardware for art

Posted 06-02-2020 06:12 AM

I agree on both of Jonathan's points- avoid a crop sensor camera and opt for a more affordable choice for strobe lighting. Another such option for strobe lighting is Speedotron.

Steve Briggs 
    Staff Photographer
    Worcester Art Museum
    Worcester, MA

Steve Briggs
    Worcester Art Museum
    Worcester MA