Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Universal Design exhibit

Posted 04-07-2021 10:10 AM
    HI all,
    I am working on some ideas for a Universal Design art exhibit - This would be accessible to blind, deaf, and wheelchair visitors. I also would have the exhibit be bilingual. 

I am curious if there is an exhibit out there, or if anyone has done this before.

One thought I had is to have touchable art.
    Thank you

------------------------------
    David Lynx MLS
    Director
    Larson Gallery
    Yakima WA
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Universal Design exhibit

Posted 04-08-2021 08:41 AM

At the NMAH I worked on an exhibit called Whatever Happened to Polio? to celebrate the 50th Anniversary of the announcement that the Salk vaccine was safe and effective. Since so many of the early pioneers in disability activism were polio survivors, and because we anticipated an older and more differently abled audience we explicitly worked with a number of accessibility consultants and Universal Design Experts to apply as many of their principles as we could into the design, so that the design of the exhibition became almost an artifact in itself. Some things worked, some things didn't. 

I don't work there anymore, but the director of the Smithsonian's Accessibility Office was a member of the exhibition team and she is still in her position. Her name is Beth Ziebarth and she is very helpful and would love to chat. I don't know if the curator, Katherine Ott, is still there, but both should be reachable through the NMAH website.

Matthew A. White
    Museum Liaison
    Capitol Museum Services
    12299 Livingston Road
    Manassas, VA  20109
    Phone: (703) 330-7843
    E-mail: mattheww@capitolmuseumservices.com
    URL: www.capitolmuseumservices.com

Matthew White PhD
    Museum Liaison
    Capitol Museum Services
    Manassas VA

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Universal Design exhibit

Posted 04-08-2021 02:55 PM
    Thank you, I will talk to her.

David Lynx MLS
    Director
    Larson Gallery
    Yakima WA

• 4.  RE: Universal Design exhibit

Posted 04-08-2021 09:46 AM
    David, first off, you should start using the proper vocabulary. When working with people with disabilities, the PERSON comes first, i.e., NOT wheelchair people but people using wheelchairs, etc.

The intrepid, along with NYU, is working on accessible history museum exhibits. You might try to get in touch with them.

Ellen Giusti
    New York NY

• 5.  RE: Universal Design exhibit

Posted 04-08-2021 10:58 AM
    Hi David, this is what my practice (w/ my business partner Sina Bahram) focuses on (multi sensory experience design through an inclusive design methodology). There are many examples. I was the VP and project director for the design-build of the Canadian Museum for Human Rights (CMHR), and created and led their inclusive design practices. All the exhibitions at CMHR – core and temp – are designed and developed through an inclusive design methodology and address all vectors of human difference, and so at conceptual and tactical levels across the experience design ecosystem.

The ecosystem includes:
    • content design & development
    • built environment/environmental design and fabrication
    • graphic design and presentation
    • interface design (tangible, human, digital)
    • media production (linear and navigable)
    • collections and commissioning (2D, 3D, intangible)
    • guest/visitor services and in-gallery affordances
    • educational and public programming and events
    • museum administration and project management (incl. procurement and contracting w/ suppliers)
    Applying a rigorous and deliberate methodology and multiple tactics across each of these facets of the ecosystem will help ensure that visitors across a full range of varying abilities can not only have access to the exhibition, but do so inclusively, together, without othering.

Pointing you to 1 example is a little tough but if you look up any of the literature re: Canadian Museum for Human Rights and Inclusive Design and/or Accessibility you'll come across a lot. Only if and when each facet of the ecosystem is addressed can we ensure an equitable experience for everyone. Additionally our reading list has resources, including case studies, which may be of use: https://www.m4c.space/?page_id=139

It's a big topic. Hope this message helps.

Best,
    Corey

Corey Timpson
    Principal
    Corey Timpson Design Inc.
    Ottawa ON

• 6.  RE: Universal Design exhibit

Posted 04-08-2021 02:56 PM
    That is a great resource. Thank you.

David Lynx MLS
    Director
    Larson Gallery
    Yakima WA

• 7.  RE: Universal Design exhibit

Posted 04-08-2021 02:27 PM
    David, A while ago I visited the Newseum in Washington DC and they had something similar to what you are describing. It was an exhibition regarding photos from Vietnam and included tactile and audio components. The company is https://www.3dphotoworks.com/

It was a really neat exhibit all the way around and would love to have something along this line in our Museum in the future.

William Maas
    Guest Relations Rep. I
    Field Museum of Natural History
    Chicago IL

• 8.  RE: Universal Design exhibit

Posted 04-08-2021 02:55 PM
    This is great William. Thank you for sharing.

David Lynx MLS
    Director
    Larson Gallery
    Yakima WA

• 9.  RE: Universal Design exhibit

Posted 04-09-2021 11:04 AM
    Hi David,

I would encourage you to connect with Christine Reich at the Science Museum, Boston. For many years, she's been a strong advocate for the inclusion of people with disabilities in museums. Her team has done a lot of evaluation of exhibits specifically aimed at applying Universal Design principles.

Jessica Brainard
    Interpretive Planner
    Sausalito CA