Open Forum

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Photography Policy and Releases for Photographing Visitors

• 1.  Photography Policy and Releases for Photographing Visitors

Posted 07-19-2019 09:37 AM

The Stark Museum of Art and Nelda C. and H.J. Lutcher Stark Foundation is in the process of reviewing our policies on photographing visitors for publicity purposes. At the Museum, we have always asked verbal permission anytime a visitor may be photographed, but there is an interest for liability purposes to have a more formal policy and potentially a written release.

We have included a photography statement in the past within our general liability clause (published on our maps, tickets, etc)., but I have been tasked with collecting samples from other institutions. How does your organization handle photography releases with the general public? With public groups? With school groups?

Your examples would be greatly appreciated!

Artfully yours,

------------------------------

Jennifer Restauri Dickinson
    Curator of Education
    Stark Museum of Art
    jrestauri@starkmuseum.org
    Phone: 409.221. 6685
    712 Green Avenue
    Orange, TX 77630

------------------------------
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Photography Policy and Releases for Photographing Visitors

Posted 07-22-2019 07:33 AM

Hi, Jennifer.

I work at a university museum, and the general counsel's recommendation is to get a signed release for everyone. When we asked if it would be okay to post a blanket statement about photography as another university museum with which we're familiar has done, we were told that's insufficient. I never photograph children without a signed release, which we get from our summer campers as part of their registration materials. I'd like to photograph a school group this fall, so I've asked my colleague who schedules groups to suggest a group she has a long-standing relationship with, which I hope will make the release situation less of a hassle. If I hire a photographer to come to a family event, I make sure to put someone in charge of getting the releases. I prefer to have releases for everyone, but that's not always possible, so if I can't get one for adults, I leave it up to them to let me or the photographer know they don't want their image used.

Good luck!

-- 

Allison Hutton

Director of Communications and Marketing

Michael C. Carlos Museum

Emory University

571 South Kilgo Circle

Atlanta, GA 30322

carlos.emory.edu 

This e-mail message (including any attachments) is for the sole use of
    the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged
    information. If the reader of this message is not the intended
    recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution
    or copying of this message (including any attachments) is strictly
    prohibited.

If you have received this message in error, please contact
    the sender by reply e-mail message and destroy all copies of the
    original message (including attachments).

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more