Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Re[2]: Museum Junction Open Forum : Return On Investment for Marketing Dollars

Posted 12-21-2018 09:36 PM
    Some great input and only two snarky replies from same source. My problem is not just the often odd expectations, but the constant pushing to interpret the results of marketing/advertising in monetary terms. The quote from Macy is classic. The reality is that most of the print media we buy is money poorly spent. Also, we are a history museum, rather than a flashy attraction. And we compete with an established arts and science museum (next door, literally) and a new childrens museum (read playhouse). Back to the ROI, a lawyer or a retail merchant only needs one good case or one big sale to pay for a certain block of marketing. Rare for a museum, unless we are talking TITANIC or Tut!

Sincerely, 

David Beard

Executive Director 

USS KIDD Veterans Museum 

Baton Rouge, LA 

225-342-1942, x. 12

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Re[2]: Museum Junction Open Forum : Return On Investment for Marketing Dollars

Posted 12-26-2018 04:13 PM
    The quote is actually from John Wanamaker....but the point is still valid no matter the source and decades after he first said it!

Debbie Smith
    (formerly a curator of advertising ephemera)

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Re[2]: Museum Junction Open Forum : Return On Investment for Marketing Dollars

Posted 12-27-2018 07:42 AM
    I'm an Art Handler with a private company, so I don't work directly for a specific museum, and I realize I am late to the party here, ALSO, not a budgeting person, but do you get time on the local news shows on Saturday or Sunday? They are great for promoting and it's free. Just a thought for some free advertising. 

Judy Hannon

------------------------------
    Judy Hannon
    Historic Preservation Researcher
    Anne Arundel County
    Annapolis, MD

• 4.  RE: Re[2]: Museum Junction Open Forum : Return On Investment for Marketing Dollars

Posted 12-27-2018 10:33 AM
    Judy:
    We take advantage of every opportunity to get free exposure through "fluff" pieces in both print and broadcast media.  Local TV, newspaper and radio folks are generally positively inclined to highlight when we have something new and exciting.  This, I believe, is the most effective "Top of mind" marketing we can do.  Other responders have mentioned digital media in terms of impressions, clicks, etc., but how do these numbers translate into actual warm bodies through the door?  And how to translate all of this into any kind of objective Return on Investment for marketing/advertising dollars spent?

David Beard
    Executive Director
    USS KIDD Veterans Memorial Museum
    Baton Rouge LA

• 5.  RE: Re[2]: Museum Junction Open Forum : Return On Investment for Marketing Dollars

Posted 12-27-2018 10:49 AM
    David,
    I agree with you, regarding media relations. A news story is 10 times more effective than an ad. However, media relations cannot be relied on as the only component of a campaign in some markets. We are often successful in getting media coverage, but with the diverse media in our market, coverage is spotty and we cannot depend on it.  There are at least five "well read" digital news sources in Pittsburgh, three television networks, two public radio, and one print news source in Pittsburgh. We normally get covered in two or three of these, but not all. If breaking news happens, it undermines us.

Constance George
    Senior Director of Marketing and Community Relations
    Carnegie Science Center
    Pittsburgh PA

• 6.  RE: Re[2]: Museum Junction Open Forum : Return On Investment for Marketing Dollars

Posted 12-28-2018 12:20 PM

It has been interesting reading this thread for the last few days. It is important to realize that sales and marketing are two distinctly different activities. Marketing creates awareness, sales brings people through the doors.

If attendance and revenue are important to your museum, you need to think about sales, who is responsible for driving sales and what tactics will bring the most visitors.

As Myron Baer mentioned, having a dedicated sales person is best. If that isn't possible, reach out to your local tourism office to see how you can partner. Most tourism offices target group tours of some type and you might be able to start getting some group tours. Student groups, senior groups and niche groups are all possibilities. Can you partner with another museum or attraction and sell a combination ticket?

Have you heard of Viator? That is a ticket selling platform that is tied to TripAdvisor. They will ask for a discount off your regular ticket price, but you have free exposure on their platform and can have a button to purchase tickets installed on your Trip Advisor page. ( You have claimed your TripAdvisor listing, right?!) Viator is a great tool for small museums.

Sally Berry

Global Sales Manager

Corning Museum of Glass

Personal blog: www.sallydavisberry.com

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

• 7.  RE: Re[2]: Museum Junction Open Forum : Return On Investment for Marketing Dollars

Posted 01-02-2019 11:08 AM
    Hi Sally,
    Would love to hear more about your experience with Viator; how long have you used it? Is it effective? What kind of results are you seeing? 
    Thanks for sharing,

Margit Hotchkiss
    [Chief Marketing Officer]
    Norman Rockwell Museum
    Stockbridge MA

• 8.  RE: Re[2]: Museum Junction Open Forum : Return On Investment for Marketing Dollars

Posted 12-27-2018 09:16 AM
    We are working to analyze data and conduct surveys to determine our advertising effectiveness. Often however, the data is inconclusive. Without high-priced data analytic tools we can only glean certain information from it. Here is what we do, we look at Google analytics to determine if our website or specific links (in which the URLs are linked to campaigns in google analytics) spike click throughs after ads are placed. Of course, if we are placing digital (including display, social, native, and google ads and emails), broadcast, outdoor, and print ads at the same time, we can't tell how much of an effect the print, outdoor, or broadcast ads had. In addition, we look at the click through rates and open rates from our digital vendors. They often are dismal though. .10% ugh - it just doesn't feel right, but we are told that it is effective - so my conclusion is the digital ads function like print ads - the number of impressions do matter as well. We also use retargeting and geofencing when placing digital ads and - when possible- we ask our digital companies if they can track if a person who was served an ad/ads walked through the door within one month from the time the ad was served.

Our VISITOR intercept surveys tell us that our visitors do see our advertising in print. And, the visitor surveys are basically all over the board when asking where the advertising is seen. 

I read an article in Bloomberg that said that you cannot track the true effectiveness of one ad unless you are only placing one ad. The fact is that a consumer will see or hear about your product/service/exhibition in several places before they act. So, a print ad may make them conscious of your message, a billboard will remind them of it and perhaps make it more attractive to them, and then, they hear a news anchor or their friend talking about it and, finally, they decide to act. In other words, it is all about the effectiveness of the overall campaign. A healthy media mix, weighted more heavily on digital, broadcast, and outdoor, and one that includes media relations and promotions, is my takeaway.

The other dilemma is that audience behavior is diverse. You can't lump every millennials' behavior into one basket. Same goes with baby boomers - some are stuck to their phones, some love television, some love television yet use a DVR, some use paid Spotify, etc. AND, often we are trying to reach Baby Boomers, Millennials, AND GenX's. And, we don't have the budget to personalize to each group (other than in social, which we create "look alikes" and target aggressively).

I agree that Colleen Dilenschneider's Know Your Own Bone is very helpful in informing us on how to analyze and use data - it has been very helpful to us. Her recent highlight of the 10 best articles in 2018 is great! Often, you have to use several of her articles in tandum to consider when making strategic decisions.

Constance George
    Senior Director of Marketing and Community Relations
    Carnegie Science Center
    Pittsburgh PA

• 9.  RE: Re[2]: Museum Junction Open Forum : Return On Investment for Marketing Dollars

Posted 01-03-2019 10:04 AM
    I apologize - I don't know if I am responding to the proper part of this digest - but it is worth mentioning a free analytics tool created by SMU/DataArts to help track marketing ROI as well earned/contributed revenues and compares the returns versus other organizations in your sector. 
    I am sure it won't answer all questions - but it is a really interesting tool... and its free (they use your data - you get their analytics). 

While I work for the museum associated with SMU, my opinions are my own and we have no relationship with SMU/DataArts. 
    http://mcs.smu.edu/dashboard/

Anne Lenhart
    alenhart@smu.edu
    Collections Manager
    Meadows Museum, SMU

Anne Lenhart
    Associate Registrar
    Meadows Museum - Southern Methodist University
    Dallas TX