Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Regional Holocaust Museums and Education Centers

Posted 05-05-2017 07:04 AM

I am working as a consultant to reinstall a regional Holocaust awareness museum. I assume there are others out there and would like to know how you are presenting your collections. Also, as this last generation of survivors (many were children at the time) what are your plans for continuation of this important education? How do you plan to utilize the collection of objects with video testimony? Of course, we have the examples of the large institution in Washington but I am seeking examples of other smaller, regional Holocaust collections. This project  has one large room within a larger institution and an active speaker program in the region. 

Best,

Cheryl Harper

Independent Curator

M.A., M.F.A.

• 2.  RE: Regional Holocaust Museums and Education Centers

Posted 05-08-2017 08:43 AM
    Great question, and one all with a time-limited storyline have to face at some point. I suggest reaching out to the Virginia Holocaust Museum in Richmond at the link below. Charlie Sydnor or Megan Ferenczy ought to be able to answer your questions from their experience.

Good luck.

Home
    Virginia Holocaust Museum remove preview
    Home
    Our Collection Learn more about the Holocaust by viewing our collection. View our collection Hours Monday-Friday: 9am-5pm Saturday & Sunday: 11am-5pm Closed New Years Day, Easter, First Day of Rosh Hashanah, Yom Kippur, Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve, Christmas Day and New Years Eve. T
    View this on Virginia Holocaust Museum >

------------------------------
    Christopher Kolakowski
    Director
    MacArthur Memorial
    Norfolk VA

• 3.  RE: Regional Holocaust Museums and Education Centers

Posted 05-10-2017 06:41 AM
    Dear Christopher, Lindsay, Emily, Daniel and colleagues,

Thank you for these suggestions and please continue to send others. I read on one of the sites that there are only 13 free standing Holocaust Museums in the U.S.. They are unique in their approach. If I can attain support to do so, I hope to visit some of them.

Best,

Cheryl Harper

Cheryl Harper
    Independent Curator
    Paoli PA

• 4.  RE: Regional Holocaust Museums and Education Centers

Posted 05-08-2017 12:40 PM
    The Rodgers Center for Holocaust Education at Chapman University has very active partnerships with survivors' groups in Los Angeles. You could reach out to Jessica MyLymuk the Assistant Director there: Holocaust Education.  
    Best wishes,
    Lindsay

Lindsay Shen PhD
    Director of Art Collections
    Chapman University Art Collections
    Orange CA

• 5.  RE: Regional Holocaust Museums and Education Centers

Posted 05-08-2017 01:06 PM
    I would also reach out to the Holocaust Center for Humanity in Seattle. In addition to their exhibits, programs, and speakers bureau they have video testimonies that they make available online (Holocaust Center for Humanity - Survivor Voices). They also have a project called Continuing Voices of the Shoah which actively collects memories and stories of the children and grandchildren of survivors (Holocaust Center for Humanity - For Survivors & Continuing Generations). 

Best, 

Emily

Emily Turner
    K-12 & Youth Programs Educator
    Museum of History & Industry
    Seattle WA

• 6.  RE: Regional Holocaust Museums and Education Centers

Posted 05-09-2017 10:37 AM
    I would check out the bilingual El Paso Holocaust Museum and Study Center.

Daniel Carey-Whalen
    University of Texas at El Paso
    El Paso TX

• 7.  RE: Regional Holocaust Museums and Education Centers

Posted 05-11-2017 09:14 AM
    Hello-

I am a bit late to the party- and I hope that I am not repeating others' suggestions. Do reach out to the Holocaust Memorial Museum and Tolerance Center of Nassau County. I am sure Beth Lilac, Senior Director of Education and Community Affairs, would be very glad to connect with you. See:  http://www.hmtcli.org/

Regards,
    Shari

Shari Berman
    Partner
    Evidence Design
    Brooklyn, NY

• 8.  RE: Regional Holocaust Museums and Education Centers

Posted 05-11-2017 11:27 AM
    Edited by Emily Kirk 05-11-2017 11:28 AM
    Michigan has a wonderful Holocaust Memorial Center in Farmington Hills (near Detroit), which features some very nice displays and events. I haven't been in several years, but have participated in programs and conducted research in their archives in the past. I would definitely recommend checking them out if you get the chance. Good luck with your project!

Holocaust Memorial Center
    Holocaustcenter remove preview
    Holocaust Memorial Center
    See Anne Frank's tree, experience a German boxcar & explore Jewish heritage. Learn from history's darkest hours and resolve to build a better future...today.
    View this on Holocaustcenter >

Emily Kirk
    Concept Designer
    The Henry Ford
    Dearborn MI