Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Sexual Harrassment in the Museum Field

Posted 10-18-2017 07:26 AM
    In the wake of the Weinstein horror story, this week Leadership Matters asks about sexual harassment in the museum world. 

Please read and share.

Anne

--
    Anne W. Ackerson
    Creative Leadership & Management Solutions
    1914 Burdett Avenue
    Troy, New York  12180
    T:  518-271-2455
    E:  anne@awackerson.com

Read my Blog, Leading by Design
    Follow me on Twitter and on LinkedIn
    Visit my Website

Subscribe to Take 5, the newsletter with a fresh take on nonprofit life
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Sexual Harrassment in the Museum Field

Posted 10-19-2017 08:20 AM
    This was a great read, thank you very much for posting. Until we can talk about things that make us uncomfortable, we won't be able to make the changes necessary to stop things like sexual harassment in the workplace. Thanks for starting this conversation here and on your blog - I hope more and more publications follow suit.

------------------------------
    Josette Souza
    Marketing & Communications Manager
    American Alliance of Museums
    Arlington VA

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Sexual Harrassment in the Museum Field

Posted 10-19-2017 09:32 AM
    Just want to thank you for bringing this important issue in our field to light.

• 4.  RE: Sexual Harrassment in the Museum Field

Posted 10-19-2017 11:50 AM
    Great article, thanks for sharing Anne and Joan! The fact that it's 2017, and, we still have to talk about this, speaks volumes. Museums are not immune.

Blair Denniberg
    Executive Assistant- Finance
    Oregon Museum of Science and Industry
    Portland OR

• 5.  RE: Sexual Harrassment in the Museum Field

Posted 10-20-2017 07:54 AM

There was an excellent session at last spring's AAM annual meeting on women in the museum workplace.  While the focus was not sexual harassment, attitudes towards and about women (largely exhibited by males, and trustees in particular) were discussed.  I was very disappointed to see few males in the audience.  The subject could not be more important to our field.  If I recall correctly, a recent AAM survey noted that at least 60% of the museum workforce is female.  Certainly the majority of colleagues I have worked with over the years were women.  I have not been aware of harassment but as we see, it can be happening before our very eyes but a code of silence (fear) covers it.   This must change.  I would also like the subject to extend to affairs on the job.  These always complicate and compromise employee relationships, structures, productivity and reputations.  My advice to all is: NO.  Finally, though the focus on sexual harassment largely reflects that forced on women, men can be victims too.  The only time I was ever harassed was by a male co-worker at a holiday party.  Alcohol was involved.   (Yet another subject for discussion.) 

Steven Miller
    Executive Director Emeritus
    Boscobel House and Gardens
    Garrison NY

• 6.  RE: Sexual Harrassment in the Museum Field

Posted 10-23-2017 10:52 AM
    After 18 years recruiting for arts & culture organizations, I had numerous distraught and mostly young women in my office wanting to leave their organizations due to sexual harassment. None of them wanted to report it fearing they would never work in the field again.  It occurs everywhere. One solution might be to focus on hiring enlightened HR professionals that truly can advocate for employees, rather than seeing their role as only protecting the organization and compliance.  Geri Thomas, Arts & Culture Consultant

Geri Thomas
    gerithomas@gmail.com