Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Historic House wallpaper and linoleum

Posted 06-02-2018 11:48 AM

We have samples of wallpaper and linoleum that were in an Historic House that is being restored.  Is it usual to try and match exactly or by period?  Where does one find these items- either period looking paper and flooring or a place that will match exactly?  Thank you.

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Historic House wallpaper and linoleum

Posted 06-07-2018 01:53 PM
    If you are wanting reproductions, you might try checking at a home improvement store. Even if they can't match, someone can probably point you in the right direction of a company that could. 

another alternative, you could look up examples of colors/patterns from that period and try to match to modern colors. The museum I work at has done that. We needed blinds, so we tried to pick 1930s colors and textures from a blind company. Same with paint.

------------------------------
    Flannery Quinn
    Historian
    Clinton House Museum
    Fayetteville AR

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Historic House wallpaper and linoleum

Posted 06-07-2018 02:33 PM
    If you are serious about restoration than there are many groups that make historic reproduction wall and floor finishes. Adelphi Paper Hangings is one sells both period papers and can reproduce a pattern. Linoleum tends to be a bit more specialized, but i'm sure a flooring historian can point you in the right direction. JR Burrows and Co, English Wilton and Family Heir-loom are all wonderful. 

--

• 4.  RE: Historic House wallpaper and linoleum

Posted 06-08-2018 10:35 AM
    Burrows Studio, in Rockland, Massachusetts, specializes in historical wallpaper reproductions. I've used them before on historic building National Park Service projects. Here's their website:

Burrows Studio: Wallpaper Designs
    Burrows remove preview
    Burrows Studio: Wallpaper Designs
    Associated Artists® Collection: designs from the studio of Candace Wheeler A major addition to the Associated Artists® Collection from Burrows Studio is the Honeybee Wallpaper and Frieze by Candace Wheeler, designed in 1881. This collection includes art wallpaper, printed fabric and lace curtains.
    View this on Burrows >

David Whitemyer AIA
    Director of Business Development
    Luci Creative
    Lincolnwood IL

• 5.  RE: Historic House wallpaper and linoleum

Posted 06-11-2018 12:28 PM

Yes, I highly recommend John Burrows. He is very knowledgeable and experienced.

Beth Ann Guynn

Special Collections Archivist, Rare Photographs

• 6.  RE: Historic House wallpaper and linoleum

Posted 06-12-2018 10:04 AM
    We have had wonderful, incredible, experiences with Adelphi Paperhangings and would always recommend them for any wallpaper project.  On the other hand, we have had less than desirable experiences with J. R. Burrows & Co.  I guess maybe he was just not a good fit for our needs. I would be happy to talk to you about experiences and research we did on finding companies for reproduction of materials.  Email me at scottscholz@dumbartonhouse.org if you would like to chat.

Regards,
    Scott

Scott Scholz
    Deputy Director & Curator
    Dumbarton House / NSCDA
    Washington DC

• 7.  RE: Historic House wallpaper and linoleum

Posted 06-12-2018 10:43 AM
    Edited by Laura Carpenter Myers 06-12-2018 10:47 AM
    I echo Scott's recommendation of Adelphi.  We were extremely pleased with their work to reproduce c. 1820 wall and border papers for Van Cortlandt House Museum in The Bronx.  Scott also recommended a wonderful paper hanger for our installation.

Reproduction linoleum may be difficult to source.  You might try having a painted floor cloth made to replicate the linoleum.  I highly recommend Jennifer Frantz of Americana Floorcloths.  She is in Toledo Ohio but travels for commissions.  She came to The Bronx and made a full-size paper template for our floorcloth and then returned with the finished product for installation.  Please feel free to email me at: laura.carpenter@vchm.org for more information.

Best,  Laura

Laura Carpenter Myers
    Director
    Van Cortlandt House Museum
    Bronx NY