Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  photographer contract

Posted 05-07-2020 01:25 PM
    Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone has an example of a contract between an independent, contract photographer and your institution? 

I need to have photographers sign the form retroactively, and I will also tailor the form for photography projects in the future. We want to be able to use images of our collection for a variety of uses such as: social media posts, brochures, and commercial purposes (postcards, posters, etc.) but since we never signed any such agreements in the past, the copyright belongs to the photographers. In the past, my institution would reach out to the photographer every time they wanted to use an image, but I would like a more efficient, all-encompassing solution. 

Thanks again to everyone for your help two weeks ago with my copyright questions. 

Sincerely,

Caitlin Clay

Registrar

Art Museum of Southeast Texas

500 Main Street

Beaumont, Texas 77701

www.amset.org

Email: cclay@amset.org

Phone: (409) 832-3432

Fax: (409) 832-8508

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: photographer contract

Posted 05-08-2020 10:14 AM
    I think you are looking for trouble if you expect photographers to sign a "retroactive contract." You are hoping for a copyright buyout, and any informed photographer will not sign that unless you are paying what they otherwise would have expected to earn from their work. This could be a lot more messy than you think. I would suggest you get in touch with a group like the American Society of Media Photographers (asmp.org) to see if there is a solution that could make everyone feel appropriately valued. There are ways to license work that will take are of what you need without damaging your relationship with the photographers you work with.

------------------------------
    Bill Barrett
    Director
    May Gallery, Webster University
    Saint Louis MO

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: photographer contract

Posted 05-08-2020 02:23 PM
    Bill,

Thank you for the suggestion. I will reach out to ASMP and see if they can help.

Sincerely,

Caitlin

Caitlin Clay
    Art Museum of Southeast Texas
    Beaumont TX