Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Timed ticketing for interactive spaces

Posted 08-02-2019 11:46 AM
    Hello! Does anyone have a low-tech system in place for timed ticketing in their interactive or family space? Up until now, we have simply taken names and given families paper and pencils to draw with and the wait hasn't been too long, but we are anticipating a period of high traffic this fall and into the new year, so would love to find out how other spaces function.

Thank you!

Elizabeth Margulies
    Director, Family Programs and Initiatives
    Department of Education
    The Museum of Modern Art
    11 West 53 Street
    New York, NY 10019
    T (212) 708 9807 
    moma.org

Subscribe to our Family Programs E-newsletter, moma.org/enews

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Timed ticketing for interactive spaces

Posted 08-05-2019 09:31 AM
    I visited a museum in Augsburg, Germany this summer with my 8-year-old son to see a major exhibition of medieval/Renaissance art. They offered a VR experience as part of the exhibition that was aimed at least partly at children. Because there was only one VR setup, you were given a laminated card with a precise time slot indicated (in 15-minute intervals) if you wanted to try that experience. You could select the next available time, as we did, or any time during open hours--there was a little box filled with such cards. Our slot was over an hour away, but it didn't matter, because we knew exactly when we could go there. My son had little patience for the exhibition, so we went to the cafe to have a snack and returned later to present our card. It's a pretty simple system for both visitors and administrators and perhaps it would work for you.

Cheers,

Derick Dreher
    Director, The Rosenbach
    VP, Special Collections, Free Library of Philadelphia

------------------------------
    Derick Dreher
    Director
    Rosenbach Museum & Library
    Philadelphia PA

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Timed ticketing for interactive spaces

Posted 08-05-2019 09:35 AM
    Edited by Chad Weinard 08-05-2019 09:37 AM
    Hi Elizabeth--MASS MoCA uses Waitwhile, a lightweight app that works well from the visitor side. (I haven't tried it from the admin side.)

https://waitwhile.com
    https://massmoca.org/event/james-turrell/

Best wishes--Chad

Chad Weinard
    Museum technologist + experiences + strategy
    Director, WCMA Digital, Williams College Museum of Art
    @caw_

• 4.  RE: Timed ticketing for interactive spaces

Posted 08-12-2019 01:01 PM
    You may want to check out Qudini.  I looked at it for a timed-ticketed exhibition at DMA (we ultimately went with another platform since we needed some additional functionality).  But if all you need to do is queue management it might be a good fit.  

I think that the Broad uses (used?) this for their Kusama room, and according to their website LACMA is also a client

https://www.qudini.com/

Shyam Oberoi
    Chief Digital Officer
    Royal Ontario Museum
    Toronto ON

• 5.  RE: Timed ticketing for interactive spaces

Posted 08-13-2019 08:52 AM
    Thank you Shyam. I'll take a look!

Elizabeth Margulies
    Director, Family Programs and Initiatives
    Department of Education
    The Museum of Modern Art
    11 West 53 Street
    New York, NY 10019
    T (212) 708 9807 
    moma.org

Subscribe to our Family Programs E-newsletter, moma.org/enews