Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Outdoor Pest Management

Posted 09-11-2017 11:46 AM

Hello everyone,

As the weather grows colder in Michigan, we are starting to see less of our "summer bugs" and more of other critters finding their way into our historic home. Our glue traps and daily monitoring help but I've noticed a sharp influx in the number of stink bugs finding their way into our third floor storage areas. They tend to congregate near the window and die there without any chemical assistance but I've also noticed them sneaking in around windows on our second floor as well. Outside this wall are several very large pines along the edge of our gardens. 

Aside from caulking holes, I would like to know how others tackle problems like this in the cooler months. I've reached out to several organizations about pest management but they all encourage chemical spraying, which we are not interested in doing for the safety of the helpful insects in the gardens below. I'm curious how other museums and historic sites conduct pest management outside the walls of the house/structure. We have discussed pheromone traps in the trees but wonder if that might actually draw more pests toward the house instead of away.

If you have any experience with exterior pest management, good or bad, I would love to hear more as we try to make our decision. 

Many thanks for your help!

Heather

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Outdoor Pest Management

Posted 09-13-2017 12:00 PM
    Heather,
    Here is a response from Gretchen Anderson, Conservator at the Carnegie Museum of Natural History and our Integrated Pest Management instructor. She will be leading the course Integrated Pest Management: The Plan and Implementation beginning Nov 6 on MuseumStudy.com
    Brad

Hi!
    With Stink Bugs - exclusion is the best way - they are irritating, but incidental. Check screens, seal cracks. The ones that get in are trying to get back out. Let them die (DO NOT under any circumstance, kill them or squish them - they really do stink). Remove the carcasses - they will attract museum pests. They do not live indoors and do not really want to be there.

As for outdoor pest control. It will depend on what pest you are trying to reduce. Remember that this is their (the pest's) natural habitat.
    1) Exclude/block - block up any holes that the pest is getting in. Remove bird nests.
    2) Avoid - create a "sanitary perimeter" if you can. Keep plants away from the building, particularly plants that attract museum pest species. Reduce mouse habitat. Be aware of construction around your building - that will literally drive mice (and rats) to seek new homes! ( I am dealing with this situation right now). Remove trash containers from against the building.
    3) Develop an integrated pest management plan to address your concerns.

There are many situations where mouse/rat bait stations are used - particularly in urban environments. It can help reduce populations - but beware that the rodents might be finding their way into your walls.

I agree with your concern about using pheromone traps on the outside of the building - particularly on the building. Pheromone traps usually only attract the specific male of a single species. There are a few that are more general - but they still are targeted at the male only. They are primarily used for monitoring - not for killing an entire population. You do not want to draw the critters into the building.

Also, as mentioned above, most insect pests that we are most concerned about live naturally in the environment. They have their place there and they have a job to do. We do not want to kill them, simply exclude them from our building.

If you have termites (and they are moving north with climate change) you should work with a pest control company.
    Gretchen Anderson

------------------------------
    Bradford Bredehoft
    CEO
    Museum Study - Museum Study, LLC
    ------------------------------

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more