Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Forklifts on wood floors

Posted 03-22-2019 10:56 AM
    I'm wondering about the use of forklifts in galleries with wood floors. I know our concrete slabs are rated for the weight of the forklift plus the load, but I don't know about the wood flooring which is on top of the slab. It's 3/4" engineered wood over 2 sheets of plywood. Has anyone driven forklifts over a similar flooring section? Of course we'll protect the floors with Masonite, but I wonder if the wood will be compressed or crushed by the weight of the wheels. 
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Forklifts on wood floors

Posted 03-25-2019 03:50 PM
    I checked with our exhibits expert on that subject and he cautioned about driving a forklift on the engineered wood surface, as you anticipated.  The forklift that we use for exhibit installation (on carpet tiles (protected by plywood) over concrete) is 8000 lbs. plus the load.  That weight and the motion of the wheels will run the risk of depressing the wood floor at the joins, breaking the tongue and grooves, even through the protective plywood.  Using a pallet jack, if possible, would be the best solution.

------------------------------
    Paul Storch
    Sites Collections and Exhibits Liaison (Manager)
    [Facilities-Historic Properties
    Minnesota Historical Society]
    St. Paul MN
    paul.storch@mnhs.org

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Forklifts on wood floors

Posted 03-26-2019 04:17 AM
    The term "engineered" wood deals with modifying the wood cell structure to provide an inexpensive substitute for lumber used to keep the structure from racking due to typical earthquake movement.  "Engineered" is also the term used for what I will call fake hardwood floors where the fibers from waste wood are bound together with glue and then pressed together to appear as a plywood hardwood surface over  normal plywood lamination sheets which are, themselves, glued together under heavy pressure.  You have all seen plywood delaminate in front of you.  This can be caused my moisture or physical loading beyond the limits of the wood fibers.  Visit a construction site during framing and see what forklifts to to plywood,, even plywood on a slab floor.  The only real way to know for sure about you situation is to talk to the contractor who installed your floor and get his take on the situation.  3/4"+ plywood will be a lot stronger than 1/8" veneer plywood.  You can't tell by just looking at the finished floor.  You need to look at a cross section.  And be sure to get a release from your customer.  TCD..

Timothy Duran
    Director
    Exhibits that Challenge the Mind
    San Jose CA

• 4.  RE: Forklifts on wood floors

Posted 03-26-2019 04:41 AM
    I forgot one thing.   The most dangerous thing about forklifts, other than their weight, is the damage their wheels cause cutting into asphalt or wood.  I have a client who has an electric forklift, smallish in stature, which can easily lift stage sets around, get high enough to change the direction of stage lights and, according to him, cause no floor damage.  This is done by installing what looks like eggbeater hubs where eight or so cone looking tires are mounted.  There are two to three rubber tires on each wheel section so that the weight of the forklift is spread over a much wider area.  That, times four axles, gives you great weight disbursement which means less change for damage.  To put icing on the cake, this little bunny doesn't just go forward and back, it moves on the diagonal as well as sideways.  It can get into small spaces and it's quiet...

TCD

Timothy Duran
    Director
    Exhibits that Challenge the Mind
    San Jose CA