Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Point of Sales Software for Small Museums

Posted 07-31-2018 12:39 PM
    Hi Everyone!

My museum is looking to upgrade our point of sales system - ie: we don't really have one outside of basic data entry from a regular register. We were hoping to find an affordable option that would track visitor data by zip code and connect with Quickbooks. We are a small museum with an annual attendance of 20,000 - 25,000. 

What are a few good programs that we can look into?

Thanks!

------------------------------
    Brittany Wedd
    Director of Operations
    Discovery Station at Hagerstown, Inc.
    Hagerstown MD
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Point of Sales Software for Small Museums

Posted 07-31-2018 03:27 PM
    Hi Brittany,
    I think Square meets all of your criteria (quickbooks integration, customer tracking). I would definitely read a lot of online reviews to evaluate. Good luck!

Allen

https://squareup.com/
    https://www.merchantmaverick.com/reviews/square-review/

Allen Yee
    Digital Designer
    Brooklyn NY

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Point of Sales Software for Small Museums

Posted 08-01-2018 07:52 AM
    About 112 years ago I put this software into a museum.

A Proven Provider of Point of Sale Solutions since 1980
    Tamretail remove preview
    A Proven Provider of Point of Sale Solutions since 1980
    TAM Retail has been providing <g class="gr_ gr_48 gr-alert gr_gramm gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim Grammar only-ins doubleReplace replaceWithoutSep" id="48" data-gr-id="48">premier</g> point of sale solutions to non-profits since 1980 throughout the U.S. and internationally. We serve many retail markets including Museums, Zoos, Aquariums, Hospitals, Specialty (both hard and softgoods), Tobacconists, Liquor Stores and more!
    View this on Tamretail >

Benjamen Salata
    Project Manager
    Luxam Inc.
    Coral Springs FL

• 4.  RE: Point of Sales Software for Small Museums

Posted 08-01-2018 10:15 AM
    We just had to find a new POS for our museum as well. We ended up with Clover, and it has worked pretty well for admission to the museum, out gift shop and other event fees with a little tweaking. If you are looking for just museum admission Ticketleap is wonderful, easy to use and inexpensive. 

Good Luck!

Hillary Hughes
    Rental Events Coordinator
    Dumbarton House NSCDA
    Washington DC

• 5.  RE: Point of Sales Software for Small Museums

Posted 08-01-2018 12:23 PM
    Great question, I'm interested to hear more recommendations for POS systems, and creative work arounds. One system I can recommend you NEVER consider is Active Network/ActiveNet. Probably not an option most museums would even look at, but as a part of our Parks & Rec. department we often find ourselves working with tools that aren't specific to museums and don't necessarily do what we need them to. Active has horrid customer service and the software itself feels like it has never been fully developed. The previous version "Class" had a POS module that was light years ahead of the current one. The only function Active excels at is class registration. We've only been using it for a year and have already moved ticketing to Brown Paper Tickets and are seeking new options for capturing online membership. I think I lost a $250 membership renewal this week because of Active's poor customer interface. The members were good enough to share their frustration with the process, but I doubt I'll see them return.

Freya Liggett
    Museum Manager
    Moses Lake Museum & Art Center
    Moses Lake WA

• 6.  RE: Point of Sales Software for Small Museums

Posted 08-02-2018 02:13 PM
    Hello!

We are currently in the process of setting up square for our museum and while I do believe it will eventually be extremely useful, there are some challenges in setting up and programming it to accommodate the uniqueness of admission charges, people paying with free admission passes, processing pre or post tour payments but also tracking the number of people on the actual day that they arrived, etc.

Once we get it figured out, I would be happy to share with you what we learn!

Abigail Russell
    abby@sparkmuseum.org
    SPARK Museum of Electrical Invention
    Bellingham WA