Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Donated Art

Posted 01-19-2018 02:39 PM
    When your institution is gifted a work of art by either an individual or corporation, do you refer the donor to an expert appraiser? If so, where do you refer them?

------------------------------
    Kaitlyn McElwee
    Fine Art Appraiser
    Charlotte NC
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Donated Art

Posted 01-22-2018 09:37 AM
    We direct people to the Appraisers' Association of America webpage, where there is an option to search for an appraiser by zip code or city and also by specialty (antiquities, photos, etc.). They're at https://www.appraisersassociation.org/

Kerry Schauber
    Research Assistant
    Memorial Art Gallery of the University of Rochester
    Rochester NY

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Donated Art

Posted 01-22-2018 09:49 AM
    Thanks for the information. If you don't mind my asking, why do you refer to AAA instead of the ISA or ASA?

Kaitlyn McElwee
    Charlotte NC

• 4.  RE: Donated Art

Posted 01-23-2018 08:42 AM
    I think we felt like the AAA covered art appraisers better than the others, which seemed more general (real estate, jewelry, etc.). But I'll look at the other two again!

Kerry Schauber
    Research Assistant
    Memorial Art Gallery of Rochester
    Rochester NY

• 5.  RE: Donated Art

Posted 01-22-2018 09:53 AM
    I have donated my work to institutions that they have use my work as a fund raising to help various causes. When they gladly accepted my donations they did not ask me for an appraisal. Does all donated art must be appraised?  Unless of course is a well known artist that is collected by museums.

Leon Kalas
    Visual Artist

• 6.  RE: Donated Art

Posted 01-22-2018 10:10 AM
    Hi Leon,

If you plan on deducting the value of your non-cash charitable contribution from your taxes, and if the value of your donation exceeds $5,000, then you need to have an appraisal done by a USPAP-compliant appraiser. 

If you're interested in an expanded explanation, you can check out this <g class="gr_ gr_344 gr-alert gr_gramm gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim Style multiReplace" id="344" data-gr-id="344">article </g><g class="gr_ gr_344 gr-alert gr_gramm gr_inline_cards gr_disable_anim_appear Style multiReplace" id="344" data-gr-id="344">.</g>

Kaitlyn McElwee
    Fine Art Appraiser
    Charlotte NC

• 7.  RE: Donated Art

Posted 01-22-2018 06:14 PM
    Yes.  The Denver Art Museum requires the donor to hire their own, independent appraiser and include the appraisal in the donation papers.  DAM considers hiring our own appraiser to be bordering on un-ethical behavior.  We cannot even recommend an appraiser.  We advise the donor to contact an appraiser's group, preferably one that requires its members to take and oath of fair dealings, interview several appraisers, be clear about what they are paying and what information they are paying for  (insurance, retail value, significance, auction, etc....), and the exact costs for each item.  Then, if the curator thinks it fits the collection mission, the paperwork is turned over to various committees for review.  We don't accept items "left on the doorstep".  Too many opportunities for things to go very wrong.

Beverly Little
    Executive Assistant, Asian Art Association
    Denver Art Museum
    Denver CO