Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  When to do a background check?

Posted 10-03-2017 04:18 PM
    We have recently starting requiring volunteers to complete a background check prior to volunteering.  The vast majority of our volunteers either handle money, lead tours (adult groups and youth groups), or handle collection materials.  I'm curious about other museum's policies regarding background checks. 

• Do you require them?
    • Do all volunteers complete them regardless of responsibilities?  If not, who doesn't have to complete a check?
    • How often do you conduct background checks?
    • If you implemented this policy after already having a volunteer program, how did you handle responses from long-term volunteers (e.g. someone who'd been with you for years and doesn't understand why now)?

I know this has come up before, but I'm mostly curious about if you do require background checks, are there any volunteers who DO NOT have to complete one?

Thanks!

------------------------------
    Lindsay Huban
    Museum Relations Manager
    Henry B. Plant Museum
    Tampa FL
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: When to do a background check?

Posted 10-04-2017 06:04 AM
    Backgrounds should be required of all staff, volunteers, and even vendors.  A criminal history and verification of employment is minimum.  The explanation is that the museum wishes for all of it's staff, visitors, and others to be safe and screening those with access to collections, visitors, and assets is prudent.  Some museums require criminal histories annually.  Vendors need to sign off on a confirmation that backgrounds have been performed on each employee they dispatch to your site.  

The background begins with requiring a written application to be completed, and reviewed by a professional HR person.  A personal interview should be conducted to answer questions left unanswered on the application.  Any falsification of information should cause a termination of the process.  Much of the background involves verification of the information presented.  Some jurisdictions regulate conduct of criminal history searches.  Most jurisdictions remove liability from employers releasing legitimate information documented in personnel files.

Stevan Layne
    CEO & Founding Director
    Layne Consultants International
    Nokomis FL

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: When to do a background check?

Posted 10-05-2017 10:22 AM
    ​We conduct a criminal background check on all "core" volunteers every 10 years. We do not do a background check on our one-time volunteers, however we do check the State and National sexual registry lists.
    When we first implemented background checks we decided to grandfather in our 100's of current volunteers. Our reasons were:
    1) These were known people to us with no issues
    2) The cost

A few years later we decided it would be appropriate to go back and obtain checks on the grandfathered in volunteers that had positions of higher risk. Then the 2nd year we conducted on all of our core volunteers.  As you can imagine this was a sensitive issue for 2 reasons:
    1) Long-time senior volunteers were offended
    2) Volunteers were hesitant to provide their social security number

The way we presented it to them that 2nd year was to write a letter at the beginning of the year. We wrote,
    "A few years ago we began incorporating museum industry best practices at our museum by starting to conduct criminal background checks on all new core volunteers. This effort expanded last year with the addition of conducting checks on a portion of our long-time volunteers. This year we are completing the process on our long-time volunteers. The information given on the form will be kept in a confidential manner. We appreciate your cooperation. Please contact me with any questions."

It was signed by our President and me.

We did have a handful of volunteers who left the program because they did not want to provide their social security number. It was a difficult transition however it was the right thing to do. We even conduct them on our Board.

I wish you good luck in implementing these new policies. Feel free to contact me directly.
    Jan Milroy

Jan Milroy
    Coordinator of Volunteer Servi
    Living History Farms
    Urbandale IA

• 4.  RE: When to do a background check?

Posted 10-04-2017 10:08 AM
    We don't have anyone exempt from having background checks. All staff, interns, and volunteers have one. When we initiated background checks as part of the new procedures,  I remember HR and admin presenting it as just part of the process of shoring up HR records. Then, once you have had a background check and have continuous employment or volunteering with our museum, then you don't need to have new ones done. If you have a break in employment or volunteering, or possibly a change in your status (going from a volunteer to a paid employee), then our institution generally requires a new one, from my experience.

Dawn Roberts
    Director of Collections
    Chicago Academy of Sciences / Peggy Notebaert Nature Museum
    Chicago IL

• 5.  RE: When to do a background check?

Posted 10-05-2017 10:39 AM
    Thank you all for sharing your policies!  They are definitely in line with what we are doing - requiring background checks for anyone who is not a one-time event volunteer.  We are getting some push back from a few long term volunteers, but so far not much.

Thanks,

Lindsay

Lindsay Huban
    Museum Relations Coordinator
    Henry B. Plant Museum
    Tampa FL

• 6.  RE: When to do a background check?

Posted 10-09-2017 02:33 PM
    Hi Lindsay,

We're on board with the same annual background checks for all volunteers that others have mentioned here. It did take a little discussion with long-time volunteers, but all eventually agreed that it was the best practice.

I will add that our HR was able to provide us with a one-time service agreement for volunteers from other organizations. An authorized signer for an organization agrees that the volunteers they provide are in compliance with our policies, including background checks. The signing agent is given a scope of work in advance and is responsible for providing the final list of volunteers the day of the event. The agreement gives us some flexibility to work with local service groups without having to run dozens of additional volunteer registrations for people we'll likely never see again.

Freya Liggett
    Museum Manager
    Moses Lake Museum & Art Center
    Moses Lake WA