Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  POS Survey

Posted 09-18-2019 11:35 AM
    I am curious as to what POS system everyone uses at their institution. There are some parties within my museum that insist upon using Quickbooks POS, which is not the most user friendly system, and I would like to get an idea of what other museums are using.

------------------------------
    David Knupp
    Curator
    Dunedin History Museum
    Dunedin FL
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: POS Survey

Posted 09-19-2019 08:32 AM
    Hi David

We use Blackbaud Altru as our POS for admissions and events, it also serves as our constituent database (https://www.blackbaud.com/products/blackbaud-altru). In the store we use Lightspeed (https://www.lightspeedhq.com/pos/retail/)

Sam

Samantha Christen
    Portland Museum of Art
    Portland ME

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: POS Survey

Posted 09-19-2019 09:41 AM
    David,

We have historically used Quickbooks POS, but are currently exploring other options.  I have a meeting next week to look at Swipe Simple, so I'd be curious to hear if anyone has any experience with it. 

I look forward to hearing other responses,
    Helena

Helena Cicero
    Director
    Oakes Museum of Natural History
    Mechanicsburg PA

• 4.  RE: POS Survey

Posted 09-19-2019 10:23 AM
    Hi Helena,

We are switching to currently in the process of switching to QB POS. Can you tell me why you are considering moving to another POS?

David Knupp
    Associate Curator
    Dunedin Historical Museum
    Dunedin FL

• 5.  RE: POS Survey

Posted 09-23-2019 02:54 PM
    David,

Cost is the main factor.  We are a small museum on a small college campus  with small gift shop.  We do not need all the extras QB POS provides (tracking clients, reordering inventory, etc...).  If we can find something that is a bit lower in cost, but still keeps inventory, and a record of sales, but costs less, that would be perfect. 

Helena

Helena Cicero
    Director
    Oakes Museum of Natural History
    Mechanicsburg PA

• 6.  RE: POS Survey

Posted 09-19-2019 11:22 AM
    Hi David,
    We currently use QB-POS and have been since 2011.  After using QB-POS for nine years, we use it because it is relatively inexpensive, easy to set up for both admissions and museum store (sales and inventory), it integrates with our QB accounting software, and a host of other lesser reasons.  However, bear in mind one has to be creative in setting up QB-POS to "fit" a museum's needs.  Set-up is key and so is knowing how to retrieve data / info from QB-POS.  QB-POS has a weak reporting capability and a weak (some would argue non-existing) data accessibility capability.  This is to say, QB-POS will definitely not satisfy every museum's needs.  it has been a mixed experience for us.  In short, I rate it 6 on a 0 to 10 scale.  Not the best but when we find something better for the same or better price (to purchase, to maintain, to upgrade, etc., etc.), we will definitely switch.
    Lastly, Intuit's customer service on a scale of 0 to 10 is a 4 at best!

Jerry Morales
    Business Administration Office
    Museum of South Texas History
    Edinburg TX