Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Humidity and Temperature standards for art gallery

Posted 09-07-2018 07:29 PM
    Hi all,
    I found the Document center's information on humidity for document preservation.  I was curious if there were resources for specific humidity and temperature standards for art galleries.
    Thank you
    David

------------------------------
    David Lynx MLS
    Director
    Larson Gallery
    Yakima WA
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Humidity and Temperature standards for art gallery

Posted 09-10-2018 07:36 AM
    50 percent and 70 degrees +- 5

Vivian F. Zoë, Director
    Slater Memorial Museum
    108 Crescent Street, Norwich CT 06360
    860-425-5560 vox
    860-885-0379 fax

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work," Chuck Close, 2003

Please note:  The information contained in this e-mail and any attachments hereto is intended only for the personal and confidential use of the designated recipients.  If the reader/recipient of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that you have received this e-mail and all attachments hereto in error and that any review, dissemination, distribution or copying of this e-mail or any of its attachments is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender immediately by e-mail and destroy the original message received.  Thank You.

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Humidity and Temperature standards for art gallery

Posted 09-10-2018 06:08 PM
    I encountered this question in a discussion with a professional acquaintance regarding a museum at which staff people were under the impression that the "AAM standard" for environmental control was a constant 50% relative humidity, and 70 degrees F. temperature. One of the sources for that set of figures was "The Museum Environment," by Garry Thompson, published first in 1978. His recommendations were focused on museums in Britain, not museums in every climate zone. I suppose Thompson's recommendations were attributed to the AAM, since the latter is sometimes considered the fount of all museum knowledge and standards. This is not to make light for what AAM actually does, and their programs are many, various, and invaluable to the profession.

I am certainly not speaking for AAM, but I would suggest that anyone searching for environmental standards look at resources such as the ICOM Declaration on Environmental Guidelines (
    http://www.icom-cc.org/332/-icom-cc-documents/declaration-on-environmental-guidelines/#.WpRCfRPwbVo). The statements there include these guidelines from the American Institute for Conservation (endorsed by the Association of Art Museum Directors): 
    For the majority of cultural materials, a set point in the range of 45-55% relative humidity with an allowable drift of +/-5%, yielding a total annual range of 40% minimum to 60% maximum and a temperature range of 59-77ºF (15-25ºC), is acceptable.
    • Fluctuations must be minimized.
    • Some cultural materials require different environmental conditions for their preservation.
    • Loan requirements for all objects should be determined in consultation with conservation professionals.
    In my opinion, many museums in old buildings may have trouble meeting those criteria, but may be able to come close, with considerable work and expense. The phrase, "fluctuations must be minimized," is important, but it also suggests that fluctuations acceptable for some objects might be more liberal than those for other objects. The other two bullet points also indicate that types of objects, or even specific objects may require special conditions. 

Please excuse this extensive post, but this subject is of great importance for all museums.

Bruce MacLeish
    Curator Emeritus, Newport Restoration Foundation
    Cooperstown NY

• 4.  RE: Humidity and Temperature standards for art gallery

Posted 09-11-2018 11:46 AM
    Hello,
    Thank you Bruce, for this post.  I'm writing in support of the reference/link that Bruce gave.  The question of environmental guidelines (temperature and relative humidity) for museums has been very much debated and studied in the last decade or so.  For more background and discussion, you can also read Pam Hatchfield's "Crack, Shrink, Warp, Flake" published in Museum News about 5 years ago.

Deborah Trupin
    Textile Conservator
    Fellow, AIC
    Trupin Conservation Services, LLC
    Albany NY