Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Mammal mount protection

Posted 03-16-2018 06:30 AM
    I am looking for recommendation for a product to cover our mammal mounts when they are in our storage area. Some of the mounts are too large to fit in the storage cabinets. I'm looking for something like large bags or sheets of material that can be draped over the mounts to prevent dust or water damage.

------------------------------
    Beth Erikson
    Collections Manager
    Oakes Museum of Natural History
    Mechanicsburg PA
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Mammal mount protection

Posted 03-19-2018 07:38 AM
    Hi Beth, 

Take a look at STASHc.com (Storage Techniques for Art, Science and History collections). Sponsored by FAIC and created in association with SPNHC, the site presents the compendium of storage solutions gathered together in a 1992 publication - Storage of Natural History Collections: Ideas and Practical Solutions (edited by Carolyn Rose), and new solutions presented by colleagues who work in a wide range of collections care roles. The site is organized by storage mode - to encourage browsing and spark innovation. Please explore; there are several solutions for the storage/protection of large mammal mounts up there! 

Best wishes, 

Lisa (Goldberg) 
    STASHc editor

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Mammal mount protection

Posted 03-28-2018 08:27 AM
    ​Thank you for the suggestion.

Beth Erikson
    Collections manager
    Oakes Museum of Natural History
    Mechanicsburg PA

• 4.  RE: Mammal mount protection

Posted 03-29-2018 09:33 AM
    you are more than welcome; please feel free to contact me if you need specific advice or help designing something after you have looked at the STASHc examples!

Best wishes,
    Lisa
    lgoldberg@stny.rr.com

Lisa Goldberg
    Independent Conservator
    Corning NY