Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Collection Inventory

Posted 09-02-2020 03:11 PM
    Hello Everyone,

I am the Collection Coordinator at the Zanesville Museum of Art in Ohio. We will be closing to the public this winter to tackle a complete inventory of our 8,000+ art object collection. A complete inventory has not been done for several years, so the current staff has not participated in one at this institution.

We have PastPerfect 5 and are looking into the Inventory Manager upgrade. Would this be helpful for us? 

Since we will be closed to the public, the entire 6-person staff will be dedicated to this project. How would you recommend we divide the work load? I also thought we might utilize gallery space instead of conducting the full inventory in Storage. Would this be a good idea? 

Aside from the obvious tasks of verifying accession number and location, completing a brief condition report, and photographing, are there other tasks you would suggest completing during a full inventory? We won't have this opportunity of closing the museum and dedicating time solely to an inventory again, so I want to use the time wisely and efficiently. 

Thank you for your help!

------------------------------
    Kathryne Applegate
    Collection Coordinator
    Zanesville Museum of Art
    Zanesville OH
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Collection Inventory

Posted 09-03-2020 10:28 AM
    Hello Kathryne,  I do not have suggestions for you about inventory, but I think the more you plan the better it will be.   I am the Collections Team Leader for the Museum of the Peace Corps Experience.  We are a new start-up museum and are evaluating software for cataloging our collection of about 350 items.  We are looking at Past Perfect.  We want to be able to exhibit our item on our website, virtually.  Past Perfect does have a module for that.  You wouldn't happen to have or use it??  How do you like Past Perfect?  You'll probably know better after the inventory!

https://www.museumofthepeacecorpsexperience.org/cpages/home

Debbie Manget
    debbiemanget@yahoo.com

Deborah Manget
    Collections Team Leader
    Museum of the Peace Corps Experience
    Conyers GA

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Collection Inventory

Posted 09-03-2020 10:59 AM
    Hi Vanessa, 

I am almost finished with completing inventory at my institution (about 1,700+ objects), and I thought I would pass along a few things I included in my project. Besides verifying location and accession number, I also did the following:

1. took measurements of our objects
    2. noted and photographed any signatures/maker's marks/dates on the objects
    3. created a list of objects that need to be conserved and then divided that list by priority
    4. created a list of "found in collections" objects with as much information about them as possible 
    5. added identification tags to permanent collection objects

Our institution has a small staff, and therefore, our PastPerfect files are rather incomplete. Before I began inventory, our curator expressed to me her frustration at not being able to create virtual gallery layouts since she couldn't look up the sizes of the artworks. I would talk to your curatorial staff and see if there is any information they need that you might be able to provide through inventory. 

Best of luck to you!

Caitlin Clay
    Art Museum of Southeast Texas
    Beaumont TX

• 4.  RE: Collection Inventory

Posted 09-03-2020 11:18 AM
    Hello Kathryne,

What an exciting project! We have been undertaking a wall-to-wall inventory over the last several years that will continue for several more years. We have around 30k objects and have done it piece meal as staff time allows (usually no more than 2-3 staff and/or interns working at a time just a few hours a week). It may be useful for you to know that it takes us about 300 staff hours to complete 1000 objects. We are having to create Past Perfect catalog records in most cases, though, so most of the inventory manager features are not yet useful to us. 

One thing we are newly implementing in our process from the Inventory Manager suite, however, is generating barcode labels. You can also get this upgrade separately, I believe. Our hope is that barcoding the items will make a for swifter future inventory projects but it definitely makes for better object labels. Each label include a thumbnail of the object image, the object name as well as the object ID. You can also edit these fields so, for example, if you wanted the painting title in place of the object name, you can do that (that is what we do with our photograph collection so those labels are more meaningful). This improves legibility of the object IDs and reduces the chance for human error in generating the object labels. It's something to consider if that's not the method you already use. We generate them as hanging tags for 3D objects and acrylic adhesive-backed labels for photograph folders. 

If you do plan to do some of the inventory in a gallery space and you have not managed to complete the inventory before you reopen, consider making the inventory the exhibit in that gallery. We did this in another museum I worked at and are considering it when we get to our upstairs galleries here. This was partly out of necessity, but it is also a great way to engage with visitors about collections work. If you want to know more about how and why we did that, feel free to contact me directly.

Best of luck with the project and have a good winter!

Michelle Nash
    Elkhart County Historical Museum
    Bristol IN

• 5.  RE: Collection Inventory

Posted 09-03-2020 11:26 AM
    Edited by Shaleigh Howells 09-03-2020 11:28 AM
    Hello Kathryne!

What a feat to complete! Our institution has been working on an inventory project for two years and will be extending that project in the near future. We have a much larger collection than yours (1.6 million objects) and three different collection departments.

First, I would really encourage you to evaluate goals and outcomes of the project, especially on such a tight deadline. I would focus on staff strong suits when delegating tasks. In addition to the items you listed above, I would strongly recommend an evaluation of your current storage and reviewing objects for deaccession (ex. items that no longer fit your mission; hazards in/to the collection; extremely poor condition).  Be sure to read up on your state's FIC listing procedures for anything found in collection and have a numbering system in place ready to use. 

In regards to gallery space vs. storage for inventory, the most important piece here is the safety of staff and the objects (both on display and being moved). If objects don't need to be removed from storage for a proper evaluation, then don't move them. Of course, there will be large format items that need to be evaluated and space will need to be created for that. Unless you are replacing or re-configuring storage units I would recommend moving as little as possible out of storage areas. 

I hope this helps, but feel free to reach out with any questions!

- Shaleigh 

Opinions are my own and not the views of my employer.

Shaleigh Howells
    Assistant Registrar
    The Valentine
    Richmond VA

• 6.  RE: Collection Inventory

Posted 09-04-2020 04:04 PM
    Here is some food for thought:
    Can you do some random checks of what was inventoried last time to verify it is accurate? If the last inventory is determined to be up-to-date, then where it ended is the place to start. If it's not accurate or you are adding a subset of new data to the records, then starting from scratch may be the best option.
    > Consider working on the newer collections first to get comfortable with the full inventory process. When that is done, you can dig into the older records and look for "holes."
    > You know the old adage "measure twice, cut once?" If you can avoid moving a collections item more than once, you will save yourself a lot of time, not to mention risk of damage by mishandling.
    > Draft a step-by-step process that will be used for each artifact from the moment it is taken out of storage or off the floor to the time it is put back in the proper place.
    > Can you work in parallel, where one team is inventorying "cabinet 1" while another is doing "cabinet 20" so you aren't crossing paths and getting in each other's way?
    > Does your museum have trained volunteers who can help with photography or measurements? That would free up staff for more critical actions.

As an aside, this is also a good time to think about using your digital photographs of the collections for public access. (That's a long-term project I'm coordinating here, even though the medium for public access hasn't been resolved. I've had volunteers photograph a big chunk of our 2,000+ geological collection - which requires multiple angles to get the accession number in at least one shot.)​

Alan Goldstein
    Interpretive Naturalist
    Falls of the Ohio State Park / Interpretive Center
    Clarksville IN

• 7.  RE: Collection Inventory

Posted 09-04-2020 09:03 PM
    Kathryne,
    Congratulations on undertaking this great project! It's a task of the utmost importance that SO many museums defer unto eternity.

You've already gotten some great suggestions. I don't disagree with anything except the idea of getting full cataloging information for each object as you go. Below, I'll explain how I recommend simultaneously getting a fast and simple count AND a slow proper cataloging.

Thirtysome years ago when I was new to the field, I participated in the first inventory project ever to reach completion at the Atwater Kent Museum of Philadelphia History. The museum was well over 100 years old at the time, and no prior inventory attempt had ever been finished. We were starting from a catalog in the form of 5x7 index cards, some handwritten and some typed, going back to the founding of the museum and covering at best 70% of the collection. By the time we were done, the museum's brag list had to be amended from "over 100,000 objects and documents" to "over 125,000 objects and documents." We did this at the time that the first Windows-based collection software was becoming available and we were the beta test institution (though the software company never admitted it nor gave us a discount for the hundreds of hours we spent troubleshooting with them).

There are things I learned on that project that have served me through all the years, all the different museums and their different collection topics, and all the evolution of software. I'll try to list some constants for you:

1) Now is the time to get your location coding right, before the first object gets inventoried or else you'll wind up doing a lot of re-working in mid-inventory. Every shelf in every storeroom, every exhibit gallery, every staff office, every hallway and loading dock where collections objects may sit for even one overnight needs a location. NEVER name a room for who works there or similar, you're creating a system to last as long as the building. Standardize a location code for N, S, E and W walls within rooms and hallways. Standardize a code for resting on the floor and a code for hanging from the ceiling. Standardize whether shelving unit numbers start from the left or the right as you enter a room.Standardize whether shelf 1 is the top shelf or the bottom shelf and what shelf number is the exterior top of every cabinet where someone will inevitably store something someday. Standardize a shelf number for the floor in front of a shelving unit because things will wind up there, too. My storeroom codes usually look like Room;Unit;Shelf so an object in basement room 2, unit 7 shelf 4 would have location 002;07;04. A painting on the East wall of the director's office on the 3rd floor would look like 304;EW;00. When every spot in the building has a location code, you're ready to start inventorying objects.

2) Get The Powers That Be on board with your Found In Collection plan. You don't want a debate around that to derail your inventory while underway, you want to tag objects and move on, and deal with the unidentified objects once the inventory is done. I like to give objects a distinctive number that indicates when the object was found, like FIC2020.01.01 or 9920.01.01 if your year field has to be 4 numerals. Give each "find" or "find group" a donation group number so you can track what was found together in case one clue reveals the origins of the whole batch.

3) Get serious about standardizing object descriptions. Chenhall's Nomenclature is the old standard, and it works for a lot of kinds of collections but isn't great for art museums. Whatever you decide upon, be vigilant that every staff member uses the system the same way. If one person is going to list an object as a Watercolor and another would call it a Painting, your inventory is doomed.

4) Get the critical data and then worry about the details. Depending upon the expertise of your staff, you might want to divide up into teams that do quick and dirty counting and teams that gather details. Here's an example of how I would do that using a paper preliminary inventory that would be data-entered either after completion of the paper inventory or by a separate data entry team. Of course, if you've got networked laptops or tablets you can adapt this to your system: The Quick and Dirty team consists of non-Collections staff. They go room to room and fill in location sheets. Every shelf, drawer, wall, ceiling, etc. gets a sheet or sheets upon which they record the accession number and a rough description (not worrying about official nomenclature) of every object in that location. They place a colored post-it on each shelf to indicate that it's finished either with 100% clearly numbered objects, or complete with some unidentified objects. When they finish a chest of drawers or a wall or whatever, they affix the rough sheets for each shelf, drawer, etc. to the storage unit and move on. They will finish fairly quickly and then either support the detailed team or return to their usual duties. The details teams consist of the collections professionals, each leading an assistant, forming as many teams as possible. They go behind the Q&D team and verify their work. They check each object against the catalog information already recorded for that accession number as they enter its location into the catalog. They then correct the object description, measure, photograph, and otherwise record details about each object as needed to complete its catalog entry. They label unlabeled objects where possible, and tag FIC numbers onto unidentified objects before entering their location and descriptive information into the catalog under the FIC number. They remove the post-its for 100% complete shelves as they go, but leave the post-its for shelves with FIC to aid followup after the inventory. This work will take about twice as long as your worst-case scenario. But you'll have the basic "what is where" from the quick and dirty team, which should give you an accurate list of every object in the building (many mis-named, but it's a start) and where to find them. A data-entry intern can turn the sheets into an Excel spreadsheet to use until the detail team verifies the work and enters it in the catalog.

I hope that's helpful.

Adam Zuckerman
    Principal
    A-Z Museum Services
    Sandy Hook, CT
    AdamZ@A-ZMuseumSvc.com