Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Disciplinary Actions for Docents

Posted 07-27-2017 02:57 PM
    Hello Everyone,

I had a question about how other museums go about warning and disciplining docents and volunteers. We have had some issues lately with tardiness, as well as fairly obvious lack of motivation to perform daily duties. One such problem is the outright refusal to wear uniform shirts with our logo, name tags, and membership buttons when interacting with our visitors and the public. I've also noticed a "forgetfulness" about putting the sign outside advertising that we are open during the day. We are a small museum that only employs about 5 docents at a time. A few docents have been working here for multiple years, and I believe it has instilled in them an illusion of leeway that they think they have due to seniority. My director and I have bounced around using a points system for infractions of dress code and other actions outlined in the docent manual. What does your museum do as far as encouragement towards following new rules, and have you found a plan that works well?

------------------------------
    Victoria Copenheaver
    West Overton Museums
    Scottdale PA
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Disciplinary Actions for Docents

Posted 07-28-2017 08:26 AM
    Hi,
    You use the word "employ" to describe your relationship with the docents.  Are they salaried workers or volunteers?  If the former, then they are not doing the job for which they are paid and should be formally reprimanded (with a paper trail created) and if they do not improve, fired.

If they are volunteers, the situation is a bit different.  How easily can they be replaced?  Why are they not performing as you wish them to?  Were their work responsibilities made clear to them?  Can you modify your requirements and still keep the standards you want?

What benefits to volunteer docents get?  Perhaps offering more incentives (e.g. free parking, free admission for docent guests, etc.) would attract a more motivated volunteer.

Alan Steinfeld MD
    New York Botanical Garden
    Bronx NY

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Disciplinary Actions for Docents

Posted 07-28-2017 08:56 AM
    There is no one answer for this, but I think it is important that volunteers understand that the relationship between volunteer and museum needs to be of mutual benefit and meet each participants needs. When particular tasks are not done or certain policies and procedures are not adhered to the museums needs are not being met and the relationship is unbalanced. It might be worth having a talk with particular volunteers in this context.

Secondly, I would certainly recommend a small series of workshops to reset the group and use it as a training opportunity for basic tasks, policies and procedures and visitor services issues. You might consider bringing someone from outside of the institution for one of these workshops. They should be framed as continuing education/training. 

Mark

Mark Osterman, Ed.D.
    Adult Learning and Engagement Manager
    Vizcaya Museum and Gardens
    Miami, FL 33141

• 4.  RE: Disciplinary Actions for Docents

Posted 07-28-2017 09:11 AM
    As a former director of volunteer educators, I would counsel you to look inward first. What is your attitude toward your staff of docents?  What are they picking up on that makes them less engaged? Have you ever had a conversation with them to discuss their needs and those of the museum? Are they invested in the mission of the organization? Just some things to ponder before you charge ahead with behaviorial demerits and other actions which could, in the longer term, be more harmful to the institution's relationships with its many publics as well as your staff.

Maribeth Flynn
    Museum Education Consultant

• 5.  RE: Disciplinary Actions for Docents

Posted 07-28-2017 10:34 AM
    I have to say I agree with the other poster's comments, an organization should not be asking volunteers to do jobs that are the duties of staff members. Placing signs out and other daily type duties should be the responsibility of staff not a volunteer member. Tardiness is an issue that should be addressed but along with that I suggest you make a 'job description' of sorts laying our clear expectations of what your organization expects of its docents.

Jessica Strom
    San Antonio, TX

• 6.  RE: Disciplinary Actions for Docents

Posted 07-28-2017 09:11 AM
    ​This is a thorny issue, especially for smaller institutions where it might not be easy to replace docents. Volunteers/docents who have been in place for a number of years can be resistant to change. Seems like you have some ammunition in that you have a docent manual that outlines what is expected? Sitting down and reviewing this with docents might be an important step. In joining the docent program they must have received a copy of this but may not have looked at it for a long time. It is important - obviously - that they agree that following rules serves a useful purpose... the "whys" of wearing a uniform, showing up on time, etc. If they understand the negative impact that has on the museum's operation and image, then that might spur some action. It is important to be flexible, but volunteers and docents should be willing to be professional and take pride in that.

If addressing the problems verbally is not working, then put it in writing (and what you address verbally should be documented so you can show that you made efforts to address problems). If second and third requests for improvement do not work, then you might consider dismissing the docent. Does the docent manual outline how a dismissal process works? i.e., steps taken to address issues before a docent is asked to leave? Obviously you don't want to dismiss anyone if you can avoid it. Those who have been "slacking off" for a while will not understand why suddenly their behavior is not acceptable if they have been able to slide in the past.

Appealing to the positive is good. Those docents who have been around for a long time should be serving as role models for others. When some volunteers/docents are allowed to do whatever they want, others surely feel a bit demoralized when they try hard to follow procedures. Maybe an appeal to team spirit?

Good luck with this. I hope others will contribute some more useful suggestions.

Lois

Lois Kuter
    Manager of Volunteer Services
    Academy of Natural Sciences of Drexel University
    Philadelphia PA

• 7.  RE: Disciplinary Actions for Docents

Posted 07-28-2017 11:30 AM
    You have to treat them just like any other employee.  When you notice a problem bring the person in and privately explain to them what the issue is and what has to be done to make it right.  Remind them that the rules are in their manuals and that everyone has to follow them.  If the person continues to ignore the requirements then you fire them.  You may be concerned about the response of the other volunteers if you have to take that step, but in my experience the response is generally, "It's about time."  If you have noticed an issue then the other volunteers have noticed it too and are probably even more frustrated about it than you are.

James Stemm
    Director of Collections and Aircraft Restoration
    Pima Air & Space Museum
    Tucson AZ

• 8.  RE: Disciplinary Actions for Docents

Posted 07-28-2017 04:16 PM
    Volunteers are giving us a very precious commodity--their time.  In order to get such a precious gift those of us working with volunteers have to make sure it is a two way street.  For the time they give they should be doing something they enjoy.  

I often alter volunteer assignments to fit the desires of the volunteer.  

If they don't want to wear the uniform maybe there is something behind the scenes they can do that doesn't require the uniform. Or maybe the uniform is just too hot or in some other way uncomfortable.  

Regarding tardiness, you have to be prepared for Plan B when they don't show.  I emphasize with my volunteers and staff that unless they are on the emergency room table they need to contact me if they are going to be late because I worry.  I don't really worry that much, but they get the message.  If tardiness is a problem because they are staffing the museum and you are relying on them to open it then you might spend some time discussing why they are tardy.  Was it an emergency or were they late because no one would notice, i.e. there aren't that many visitors at that time, etc.  Can staff open the museum and the volunteers take over at a more convenient hour?  Is the tardiness a temporary problem, i.e. they have a sick family  member at home to care for or are they just not interested in volunteering anymore and tardiness is their way of communicating that?

I would never institute a demerits system for the infractions you have listed.  Giving out incorrect information is another matter, but you didn't mention that.

I know that working with volunteers takes a lot of our time, but in my 30+ years in the museum business the efforts have produced invaluable results.  Yes, I often don't get much else done when they are here, but their hands extend ours and they can either promote a positive image of our institution in the community or a negative one depending on their experience.  Long time volunteers can be tricky, but as others as recommended, please sit down with them in a non-threatening environment and discuss what is going on that results in those behaviors.  Remember they are your community for better or worse and they may likely be there long after you have moved on to another job.  Good luck :)

Marian Ann Montgomery PhD
    Curator of Clothing and Textiles
    Museum of Texas Tech University
    Lubbock TX

• 9.  RE: Disciplinary Actions for Docents

Posted 07-30-2017 10:59 AM
    Years ago i was a volunteer for the ABA in Siberia and my sponsor the USAID tried to tell me what to do, etc. d I pointed out that I was a volunteer and they could….if it conflicted with my ethical and legal duties as an attorney, or just made no sense in the circumstances I was working under.  Of course I won, and that only points out that volunteers are exactly that, volunteers, not employees, not servants,etc. no matter who, what or where you are.
     I would first, try to talk to the errant docents.  If they will be candid, you can probably explain why you think certain activities and dress are important.  They may also tell you why something doesn't make much sense, at least to them.  Many museums have exagerated ideas as to what docents should do and training programs that are overly rigid and frankly counter productive.  I am a docent at a museum that does not do that and actively interacts with volunteers and docents to craft programs that work for all of us.  The key isn communication as it always is.  Sometimes long term docents and volunteers do think they know better than the active management and that requires the letters patience and tactful confrontation.  Sometimes its a question of physical abilities and changes due to age, health etc., which require perhaps a redefinition of there role.
    I don't have any magic bullet answers, just some thoughts…thanks.

Kenneth Fenner
    DOCENT
    Albuquerque NM