Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Internship Charges

Posted 05-03-2018 06:56 AM

Colleagues,

Kindly advise if any of your museums charge an administrative fee to host interns?  If your museums administers a fee please give me an indication of how much you levy?

Thank you

Rooksana Omar (Ms)

Chief Executive Officer: Iziko Museums of South Africa

25 Queen Victoria Street Cape Town

PO Box 61 Cape Town 8000 South Africa

tel: +27 (0)21481 3832

fax:+27 (0)21481 3994

Email: romar@iziko.org.za

DISCLAIMER: This E-mail and any attachments contain confidential information for the addressee only. If you are not the intended recipient, please forward it to info@iziko.org.za with the subject line "Received in Error". If you are not the intended recipient you may not use, disclose, copy, print, distribute or rely on this email or any transmitted files. Iziko Museums of South Africa cannot accept any responsibility for the completeness or accuracy of this message or guarantee that the communication is free of errors, virus, interception or interference. The views and opinions expressed in this e-mail are those of the sender unless clearly stated as being those of Iziko Museums of South Africa. Iziko Museums of South Africa accepts no liability whatsoever for any loss whether it be direct, indirect or consequential, arising from information made available and actions resulting there from.

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Internship Charges

Posted 05-15-2018 07:43 AM
    I am not aware of any institutions in the US that charge interns for an internship.   In fact, museums and historic sites should be paying internships some kind of stipend and/or supplying housing.

------------------------------
    Kathryn Boardman
    Principal
    Cooperstown Graduate Program - SUNY at Oneonta
    Cooperstown NY

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Internship Charges

Posted 05-16-2018 08:35 AM
    ​While I'm not aware of any hosting institutions which asses a fee for administering internships, some colleges charge students tuition for students to receive credit for (usually unpaid) internships. Additionally (and sometimes related) some schools/programs offer an administrative "honorarium" to institutions which host their students in internships (e.g. Harvard Graduate Museum Studies.)

Herbert Jones
    Volunteer & Intern Programs Manager
    Museum of Fine Arts
    Boston MA

• 4.  RE: Internship Charges

Posted 05-18-2018 03:13 AM
    ​Thank you for your reply which helps me better understand the thinking in the US.  Interns that are hosted at Iziko are paid a stipend and we raise the funds for that purpose.  However, I was trying to ascertain if an administrative fee is levied against funds raised?

Rooksana Omar MBA
    Chief Executive Officer
    Iziko Museums of South Africa
    Cape Town