Open Forum

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Sand or dirt alternatives

• 1.  Sand or dirt alternatives

Posted 08-26-2019 06:05 PM

I manage the Nebraska History Museum and we are interested in adding a small dig pit for kids to explore in our upcoming archeology exhibit.  We reached out to another museum in the area and they gave us a great recommendation to use rubber playground mulch, which we were totally game to do.  We then reached out to our conservators who were concerned with the off-gassing that the rubber mulch would do and gave us some interesting alternatives.  Does anyone have any advice for safe alternatives to rubber mulch for our dig pit activity?

------------------------------
    Amanda Pinkelman
    History Nebraska
    Lincoln NE
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Sand or dirt alternatives

Posted 08-27-2019 07:50 AM
    Hi Amanda:  Many years ago a site I worked at did an "archeology" interactive and used cocoa shells for the "dirt" . I think you can also use crushed walnut shells. Both of these are much less messy than dirt. However, there is a big chocolate and tree nut allergy risk.  You might also consider sourcing tiny plastic balls - i think they're called Poly Pellets. Much like the contents of bean bag chairs, but not styrofoam.  Good luck!

Erin Richardson PhD
    Principal
    Erin Richardson Consulting
    Cooperstown NY

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Sand or dirt alternatives

Posted 08-28-2019 10:26 AM
    Dear folks:

I believe "sand box" simulation is a poor activity.  I believe there is a much more accurate approach to simulating archaeological excavation processes.  The Archaeological Institute of America used to recommend "less mess, more thinking."  I believe the following follows that direction by eliminating the mess.

You may want to investigate the following simulated archaeology excavation programme descriptions:
    Since entire reality cannot be effectively reproduced, I strongly recommend shifting the emphasis toward having participants do exactly what archaeologists do in the field once a square has been perfectly excavated.  Paper levels are the answer.  Teaching troweling in a sandbox is miseducational in my view.

Contact me if you wish further information on this programme process developed at The Sam Waller Museum, The Pas, Manitoba, Canada in the early 1990s.

Respectfully yours

Paul C. Thistle

Paul C.Thistle
    Director/Curator (retired)
    Stratford, Ontario

• 4.  RE: Sand or dirt alternatives

Posted 08-29-2019 09:43 AM
    Thank you Paul.

What does digging stuff out of a sandbox really teach people about archaeology except to suggest that anybody with a shovel can dig stuff up? There's never any corresponding mapping or recording exercise. Just a treasure hunt. For every hour in the filed, archaeologists spend three hours in the lab sorting, identifying, analyzing, and interpreting what they found. They do this in reference to the careful records created during excavation. They don't just randomly dig in a hole, collect what they find, throw it in a box, and move to the next hole.

If the intent is to understand what archaeologists do, you'd be better off creating a station where visitors try to identify fragments of brick, concrete, stone, bone, glass, etc in relation to complete examples, or figure out what certain lithics are by comparing them with exhibited pieces or pictures, or providing a microscope though which they can look at objects that do and do not show use wear, or identify features in a simulated profile wall, or look at a collection of objects and come up with ideas about what they are and why they were all found in one area. You'd have activities that better simulate archaeology with far less mess.

I'm not sure Paul's dig simulation would work as an unmoderated, unstructured gallery activity, but at my last museum we used it extensively with people from middle school through college to teach excavation. It is an excellent model. I would check out his links and excavate them for ideas to create a better archaeology activity than a sandbox. And you won't have to worry about shredded rubber versus, walnut hulls, versus real sand, and how to contain the mess.

db

Dan Bartlett
    Curator of Exhibits
    Elmhurst History Museum
    (630) 833-1457 ext 6450

• 5.  RE: Sand or dirt alternatives

Posted 08-29-2019 10:27 AM
    We have a dig activity in our Mound Builder program that won the state's
    award in Education from the Kentucky Historical Society. This program
    studies the indigenous people of our regions. Our dig (for 4th and 5th
    grade students) uses scientific method and the dig boxes are divided into
    grids. This is important as the students are learning about grids in those
    grades. They use the same type tools and process used during real
    excavations. They learn that what is found in the box can tell the story
    about what happened back during the Mississippian era. (example: if they
    find charcoal, that is evidence that there was a fire in that location) They
    record their findings explaining how the artifact may have been used. They
    label all artifacts found. Prior to the dig, they learn about everything
    from the types of Mounds, to various types of arrowheads and their different
    uses, mica, a mineral used by those people and still used today and much
    more. The dig allows them to learn the process of identifying artifacts,
    and learning how their uses played an important role in the sustainability
    of their communities. Our digs are much more than a treasure hunt.
    Teachers appreciate us using project based learning and say our content is
    very tied to the curriculum with some questions on testing related to their
    visit here.

• 6.  RE: Sand or dirt alternatives

Posted 08-28-2019 10:38 AM
    As an artist and former Artists in The Schools mask and puppet maker in Alaska, and as someone with experience packing sculpture, I have had experience with tiny plastic pieces. They have a habit of clinging to fabric, hands, shoes etc and are very hard to control. We are already hearing of micro plastic in the ocean and the atmosphere, and the great Pacific plastic whorl.  I feel that using a material that is bad for the environment, can be blown around by the movement of people and would be harmful if eaten by small children, is not a good idea. Museum janitors would hate it. Nice clean sand properly contained would be better, and when no longer needed it can be recycled outside or kept in a container for later use. No gases, no allergies, no environmental dangers. Be sure to build a good container for it so it doesn't scratch the floor.

Denise Lassaw, archivist
    Ibram Lassaw Studio
    Bellingham, Wa

Denise Lassaw
    Bellingham WA

• 7.  RE: Sand or dirt alternatives

Posted 08-27-2019 10:17 AM
    You could cover it in a soft plaster. Then they truly would have to dig it out. You would need to vacuum daily though.

Betty Brennan
    President
    Taylor Studios, Inc.
    Rantoul IL

• 8.  RE: Sand or dirt alternatives

Posted 08-27-2019 11:07 AM
    I have seen ground black walnut shells used for this kind of activity. Check with your conservators but I think it is safe. Though I am not sure if it is an allergy trigger for those allergic to tree nuts.

Jenny Yearous
    Curator of Collections Managem
    North Dakota Heritage Center
    Bismarck ND

• 9.  RE: Sand or dirt alternatives

Posted 08-27-2019 11:58 AM
    We used ground corn cob, which is sold at pet supply stores as animal bedding or kitty litter. This is light, easy to clean, and inexpensive to refresh.

Felicia Van Stolk
    Education Director
    831.420.6115 x 17
    Available Tues.-Sat.

Connecting people with nature and inspiring stewardship of the natural world.
    For more information go to www.santacruzmuseum.org or find us on Facebook

• 10.  RE: Sand or dirt alternatives

Posted 08-27-2019 03:47 PM
    Edited by Randal Powell 08-29-2019 12:31 AM
    In retrospect, I see that my prior response missed a few marks on this subject. Sand was not among the desired options. Plus I somehow conflated kids and the Nebraska History Museum to errantly address my response in the context of children's museums.

• 11.  RE: Sand or dirt alternatives

Posted 08-29-2019 09:15 AM
    Hi Amanda, 

The Think Like an Archaeologist (TLA) program, which is a partnership among the Rhode Island Historical Society, RISD Museum, the Haffenreffer Museum of Anthropology and Joukowsky Institute for Archaeology and the Ancient World, has used buckwheat hulls for the program's simulated dig for about 10 years. Buckwheat hulls are light, easy to clean up, and cost-effective. In my four years with the program, I've only seen one person have an allergic reaction to the material. 

TLA is an outreach program, so I'm not sure how your conservators would feel about its use in the museum. The schools we work with have never expressed any concerns with buckwheat hulls, and the kids love it! 

You can find out more about the TLA program at https://sites.google.com/a/brown.edu/think-like-an-archaeologist/

Best of luck!

Leah

Leah Burgin
    Manager of Museum Education and Programs
    Haffenreffer Museum of Anthropology, Brown University