Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Insurance

Posted 03-15-2017 07:09 AM
    Hello--we are a relatively small nonprofit operating two museums--our local insurance agent and carriers are self-admittedly unfamiliar with insuring museums...is there a national insurance company with experience in our area? Thanks! Rick Plummer

Sent from my iPhone
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Insurance

Posted 03-15-2017 06:15 PM

I would encourage you to look at Philadelpia for your insurance as they handle a number of non-profits, but most importantly is to find the right broker. I just switched brokers to someone who is familiar with non-profits and it is wonderful. I am not sure where in the country you are, so I am unable to recommend, but if you wish to connect with me privately, I would be happy to help.

Barbara Elfman

Executive Director

Metropolitan Waterworks Museum

617-277-0065

2450 Beacon Street

Boston, MA 02467

Barbara.Elfman@waterworksmuseum.org

@MetroWaterworks

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Insurance

Posted 03-16-2017 11:00 AM
    Museum non-profits need specialized insurance that local agents are unfamiliar with, particularly for collections.  There are few different insurance brokers (two that I can think of and there are probably a few more) that attend the annual AAM meeting every year.  I strongly encourage you to look at who participates in the Museum Expo.  You can find this information on line and from the AAM staff if you aren't able to attend the annual meeting.  These brokers will get your institution good rates with prime insurers to cover you because they do it everyday and they understand terms like wall-to-wall insurance.  While local agents want the museum's business they don't have the expertise to properly care for us.  

------------------------------
    Marian Ann Montgomery PhD
    Curator of Clothing and Textiles
    Museum of Texas Tech University
    Lubbock TX
    ------------------------------