Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Donor information on labels

Posted 04-27-2021 04:34 PM
    Do you include the donor information on your museum labels?   We always have but I know a lot of museum's don't, choosing to focus more on the content.  I'm just curious as to what others are doing.

------------------------------
    Rachelle Meinecke
    Director
    Lowell D. Holmes Museum of Anthropology - Wichita State University
    Wichita KS
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Donor information on labels

Posted 04-28-2021 08:22 AM
    Edited by Ellen Endslow 04-29-2021 12:36 PM

At Chester County History Center we generally include the donor's name because it often relates to the provenance of the piece. Examples include artifacts, photographs, or manuscripts that descended through a family. However, we give the donor the option of choosing to remain anonymous when the Donor Agreement is signed. And if any designation changes, we readily update the donor record.

Ellen E. Endslow

Director of Collections/Curator

Chester County History Center

225 N. High Street

West Chester, PA  19380

610-692-4066 x257

Visit the History Center website, Facebook and Instagram pages to schedule your visit!

Virtual Book Discussions - Reply to this e-mail for the Zoom links

May 13, 10 a.m. Biographies of Woodrow Wilson (readers' choice)

July 15, 10 a.m. Lost Prophet: The Life and Times of Bayard Rustin by John D'Emilio

www.ChesterCoHistorical.org for details

CCHS inspires, informs, and builds community identity by preserving and sharing

the remarkable story of Chester County and its people. 

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Donor information on labels

Posted 04-28-2021 09:23 AM
    When I started doing exhibits at the Logan Museum of Anthropology many years ago, I stopped including donor or collection information and I'm not sure my co-workers even noticed, let alone the visitors. My thinking is that it's interpretive noise and anyone wanting to know about donor or collection is probably savvy enough to know who to call and ask.

Dan

Dan Bartlett
    Curator of Exhibits
    Elmhurst History Museum
    Elmhurst IL

• 4.  RE: Donor information on labels

Posted 04-28-2021 09:39 AM
    At the Phila. Sports Hall of Fame's museum Preview Gallery, our exhibits consist of Hall of Fame sourced items as well as donated and/or loaned items.  We prefer to acknowledge anyone or any organization that contributed to a given exhibit but always ask if the donor or lender wish to remain anonymous.

Hope this helps, Ken

Ken Avallon
    Philadelphia Sports Hall of Fame
    kavallon@phillyhall.net

• 5.  RE: Donor information on labels

Posted 04-28-2021 04:38 PM

As a former exhibition designer and executive director for over 25 years we always credited loans to either an individual or an institution.

Object donors, however, we generally did not put on interpretive labels. Most exhibitions we mounted had a separate "acknowledgement" panel that listed financial supporters, sponsors, loans and (sometimes) object donors.

Hope this helps.

Courtney B. Wilson
    Museum Consultant and Retired Executive Director
    Courtney B. Wilson & Associates, LLC
    Saint Augustine, FL 32080
    410-340-4226

• 6.  RE: Donor information on labels

Posted 04-29-2021 06:02 AM
    Edited by Laura Vookles 04-29-2021 06:02 AM
    I am interested in the thread of this question. For one thing, I wondered if Rachel meant simply, "do you use a credit line?", which I could not imagine not having, but we are an art and history museum, not an anthropology museum, which perhaps has a different label culture. So I wondered if the question was, "Does the story of the donation of the gift, or the donor's life (perhaps as a scientist collector), feature as part of the label's narrative?" That would be much less common in our labels, depending on the context of the display. For example, we just had our centennial, and several objects were highlighted throughout the year with labels that explained, among other things, some details of their donation.

We always include the credit line, unless it's an "found in collection" object and we don't know. Even if it was given anonymously, then we say that. We also have the year given. We used to stop there, but our current contact manager also puts the accession number in parentheses. I have to agree that it can be helpful, if only for our own institutional archives record, for some types of historical materials. For documentary photos, which may vary in title used according to context, it might be difficult for future curators to know exactly which one was used. Another example: we have a large cane collection from one person. If an old checklist just had the credit line, "Gift of Mrs. Witte, 1951," it might be hard to figure out which one they meant.

Laura Vookles
    Chair, Curatorial Department
    Hudson River Museum
    Yonkers NY

• 7.  RE: Donor information on labels

Posted 04-29-2021 07:16 AM
    I like this question - It made me think about what we actually do.  I also like the term "label culture" or perhaps "design culture."

For starters, our credit lines are linked to accession lots which are linked to objects.  This is particularly useful when an accession lot has over 2000 objects in it.
    The credit line appears in virtual exhibits since the information pulls from the collections database. Credit lines also appears in Exhibition catalogues when we do them. In both cases, you get much more information about any given object than you do in an actual object label.

As for credit lines in live exhibitions, well that really depends on the designer and their vision versus the curator and their vision. Normally we go with variable size text panels and basic object labels without credit lines.  But we also have themes that require using credit lines if not on the object level, in a dedicated panel.  Examples:  The new acquisition case always credits the donor.  In addition, we have panels crediting and/or documenting  the Museum's archaeological or ethnographic expeditions.  If a significant portion of the objects come from one or two sources, they may be singled out for 'profiles.'

Chrisso Boulis
    Registrar Records
    Penn Museum

Chrisso Boulis
    Registrar, Records
    Penn Museum - University of Pennsylvania
    Philadelphia PA

• 8.  RE: Donor information on labels

Posted 04-29-2021 11:59 AM
    Yes at the Museum of Texas Tech University, just as they do in Chester County, we  include donor information on the labels. This is a very nice way to honor the donation and I think people like to be recognized for their contributions.  On our gift agreements the donor has the option to tell us how they would like the text to read and if they prefer to be anonymous

Marian Ann Montgomery PhD
    Curator of Clothing and Textiles
    Museum of Texas Tech University
    Lubbock TX

• 9.  RE: Donor information on labels

Posted 05-24-2021 01:10 PM
    At the Crocker Art Museu, in Sacramento, CA we do indeed put the donor's name on the label unless they ask us not to, then we say "gift of anonymous donor".  I think donors like seeing their names, and thus people are more willing to give us cool things. People like seeing their names and being seen. I can't say when and how that decision was made way back when, but I can say that it does help with our collection.

Matthew Isble
    Exhibit Designer & Founder of MuseumTrade.org
    misble@crockerartmuseum.org
    Crocker Art Museum
    Sacramento CA
    misble@crockerartmuseum.org