Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Vendors for Museum gift shop

Posted 08-10-2017 12:24 PM

Looking for a suggestion of vendors for purchasing gift shop items for our museum gift shop.  Wanting to be able to purchase quantities under a 100.  Thanks

--
    Barbara Grasse Leiby, Secretary

The Spirit of '76 Museum
    201 North main Str.
    P.O. Box 76
    Wellington, Ohio   44090

440-647-4367

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Vendors for Museum gift shop

Posted 08-11-2017 05:59 AM
    The greatest concentration of vendors, who represent museum-quality products and understand the need to purchase limited quantities and other inventory challenges associated with smaller museums, are those exhibiting at the Museum Store Association annual Retail Conference and Expo. The next conference will be April 27 - 30, 2018 in Washington, DC. More information is available at www.MuseumStoreAssociation.org. While on the topic, don't forget Museum Store Sunday is November 26, 2017.

------------------------------
    Andrew Andoniadis
    Andoniadis Retail Services
    Andrew@MuseumStoreConsult.com
    (503) 629-9279
    Museum store consultants since 1992

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Vendors for Museum gift shop

Posted 08-11-2017 12:35 PM

It is difficult to answer this question without knowing what your museum is about, collection, mission, who visits, etc. It's hard to suggest suppliers.  

Recommend you go to a large trade show that has a museum merchandise section.  Suggestions would be:

1-Atlanta Gift Show

www.americasmart.com

2-Las Vegas Mart

http://www.lasvegasmarket.com/gift

3-New York International Gift Fair

www.nynow.com

There might be others (,i.e., shows better suited for kids museums, military museums),  but again, not knowing the museum focus hard to recommend beyond this.  

Hope this is helpful.
    Art

Arthur Manask
    Principal
    Manask & Associates
    Burbank CA

• 4.  RE: Vendors for Museum gift shop

Posted 08-14-2017 10:43 AM
    I echo the suggestion that you go to a large trade show.  For some items, like tshirts, you might do just as well through one of the many online vendors.  Keep in mind that you pay more for a smaller quantity, and if the items aren't well-priced they won't sell.  So consider a lower margin if you need to.  If you're looking for custom, a name drop is less expensive than a fully custom product, but may not be as saleable.

Sue

Susan Goganian
    Director
    Historic Beverly
    Beverly MA

• 5.  RE: Vendors for Museum gift shop

Posted 08-18-2017 12:00 AM
    Another resource is "Museums & More" magazine -- http://museumsandmore.com

• 6.  RE: Vendors for Museum gift shop

Posted 08-16-2017 10:40 AM

Hello Barbara,
    I echo the comments of all three previous responders.  

However, each gift show has it's own strengths as far as types of merchandise (jewelry, gifts, housewares etc). 

Also, as Andrew mentioned, the Museum Store Association has many vendors members that would probably work for you, both of stock items and of product that could be customized for your museum store.  As well, these vendors are accustomed to working with museum stores, unlike many vendors at the larger gift shows.  

So, it might be worthwhile for you to visit one large gift show and to connect with the Museum Store Association and attend their meeting next year.   If you join, you'd have access to the list serv where you could ask for vendor suggestions from other museum stores.  

I run a museum store in Washington, DC, and am well versed with many of the gift shows, including the MSA Expo.  Please feel free to contact me directly if that's helpful - 202-243-3931 or lsalazar@hillwoodmuseum.org.   I'd be happy to help.

Best,
    Lauren Salazar

Lauren Salazar
    Head of Merchandising
    Hillwood Estate, Museum & Gardens
    Washington DC