Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Museum capital and business plan

Posted 02-07-2022 02:04 PM
    Hello everyone,

My organization (Futures Without Violence) is in the process of developing a museum as a public education program in the Presidio National Park, to engage visitors in a learning journey to inform and equip them with tools to rethink violence and advance concrete change.

This is a new venture unlike any other programs that we have done.  I would love to hear and learn from your experience around developing a business plan and financial management. 

Please let me know if you're available for a conversation.

Thank you.

Minjung

------------------------------
    Minjung Kwok
    COO/CFO
    San Francisco CA
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Museum capital and business plan

Posted 02-08-2022 10:45 AM
    Edited by Guy Hermann 02-08-2022 11:17 AM
    Minjung--

My company, Museum Insights, specializes in just this kind of preliminary planning work for museum development projects. I'd be happy to talk with you about what's involved in conceiving, planning, funding, designing, and building a new museum. It can be a daunting task!

The most important question to ask is: "Is a museum the best tool to reach the people we want to reach and share what we have to share?"

If the answer is yes, then you need to ask: "Is there a sustainable business model for making that museum thrive? (Is it feasible)" (It sounds like this might be where you are).

And if that answer is yes, you can get into the details: What's the best location? What kinds of spaces do we need? Can we raise the money to build those spaces?

I am happy to talk informally about the project. It sounds like your organization is doing very important work.

Guy

Guy Hermann
    Museum Insights
    Master Planning for Museums
    http://www.museuminsights.com
    guy@museuminsights.com

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Museum capital and business plan

Posted 02-08-2022 01:45 PM
    Hello Minjung,

I have worked with Guy Hermann who responded to you below and have worked with him (among others in the field) and have had good experience with him. If you need other recommendations, email me through my website and I will try to help.

I have done a lot of work with museums in the bay area, including start-ups like yours. I am also happy to discuss our areas if helpful.

Best regards,
    Art

Art Manask
    Principal
    Art Manask Consulting
    artmanask@gmail.com
    818 358-3588