Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  museum remodel recommendations

Posted 06-27-2018 03:07 PM

Soldiers & Sailors is undergoing a complete remodel of our museum display cases.  I have wonderful specs provided by Heritage Museum Services and now I am looking for recommendations to get free estimates for museum quality  glass, display hardware, humidity controls and lighting.  I am not sure if there is one company or I have to look for four different companies. So, any recommendations will be gladly accepted.

Thank you for your help!  

------------------------------
    Lisa Petitta
    Historian
    Solders & Sailors Memorial Hall & Museum
    Pittsburgh Pa
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: museum remodel recommendations

Posted 06-28-2018 10:15 AM
    Our museum is also in the same situation, and in the past we have used Gaylord Archival for display hardware, etc. It has helped us decide on what types of displays, etc. that we would like to use. They seem to have a pretty good selection that can serve a range of budgets. 

I am also interested to learn if anyone has any recommendations for companies to purchase these items from in bulk when undergoing a complete remodel such as Soldiers & Sailors.

Sarah McDonald
    Executive Director
    Shelby County Historical Society and Museum
    Harlan, Iowa

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: museum remodel recommendations

Posted 07-02-2018 10:27 AM
    Our company specializes in the engineering and fabrication of museum quality display cases and supporting products such as reading rails, etc. All of our cases use a proprietary framing system and provide a  safe and secure environment for the display of valuable objects. You may see our work and download a catalog at Artifact Cases from Proto Productions, Inc.. Our staff frequently consults with curators and designers about how to best display particular objects and collections. We would be pleased to hear from anyone looking for new casework.

Steve Meyer
    Artifact Cases by Proto Productions
    Addison Illinois
    630-628-6626
    steve@protoproductions.com

• 4.  RE: museum remodel recommendations

Posted 07-11-2018 12:20 PM
    Hi Lisa,
    Congratulations on your remodel!  10-31 Inc and Art Display Essentials <g class="gr_ gr_303 gr-alert gr_gramm gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim Grammar multiReplace" id="303" data-gr-id="303">has</g> been providing conservation grade glass museum display cases for years.  We would be happy to answer any questions you may have and get you some estimates.  You can find more information here on our website: 10-31 | Custom Art Mounting, Acrylic Displays and Custom Cabinetry You can also email me at eloisew@artdisplay.com

Best of luck!

Eloise Wierzbicki
    Customer Service and Sales Representative
    Art Display Essentials
    eloisew@artdisplay.com
    www.artdisplay.com
    www.10-31.com
    www.museumrails.com
    www.easelsbyamron.com
    2 West Crisman Road
    Columbia, NJ 07832
    USA

Attachment(s)

• 5.  RE: museum remodel recommendations

Posted 07-20-2018 09:42 AM
    Luxam Museum Lighting would love to assist you with your case lighting needs.

Benjamen Salata
    Project Manager
    Luxam Inc.
    Coral Springs FL
    ben@luxam.com

• 6.  RE: museum remodel recommendations

Posted 07-23-2018 11:01 AM
    Edited by Taylor Kite 07-23-2018 11:01 AM
      |   view attached
    Another direction is to have a Preparator with some cabinetry background to build custom casework. I've worked for two museums now and this has been part of my job. The tools and machinery aren't cheap but they quickly pay for themselves even with a single case heavy exhibit. I've even fabricated some casework with humidity control. The most expensive part (after putting together a museum wood/frame shop) is the plexiglass vitrines, not that your not paying for that already going elsewhere. And all this is assuming you have the space for a workshop which I realize isn't the case often enough. 

Attached is a picture of some casework I just got through making for our Greek and Roman collection.

Taylor Kite
    tgkite@olemiss.edu
    Preparator
    University of Mississippi Museum and Historic Houses
    University MS