Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Oral History Conversions - from audio to Text

Posted 01-24-2017 06:12 AM
    Hello,
    I have hours and hours (at least 120 hours) of oral histories to go through to pick relevant snippets out of the speaker's thoughts to add context to a gallery subject (i.e. the importance of education in the African American community).  We will make these audio snippets available to guests via Blueraven Studios Sensory Pen playback devices in the galleries.  My question is:

Is there a quick and easy (read: not hugely technical) way to convert the audio to text for speedier review?
    If not converting to text - is there a speedier way to review these besides in real time, taking notes, noting the timestamp?

Thanks for your creative ideas!
    Mary Anna

Mary Anna Murphy
    MAM Exhibit Design
    727-204-3617

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Oral History Conversions - from audio to Text

Posted 01-25-2017 10:05 AM
    Hi Mary Anna,

I'll pass along what I know from our Oral History department, but you might get better advice from reaching out to a local college or university that has an oral history program. 

For transcription, we have used transcription services. These services usually charge by the hour (eg flat rate per hour of time spent transcribing) or by the length of transcript. Length of transcript is usually the better option. 

For searching, we've used OHMS: Oral History Metadata Synchronizer: OHMS: Oral History Metadata Synchronizer - Louie B. Nunn Center for Oral History, University of Kentucky Libraries

It's an open source software that allows you to sync transcripts to timestamps. You can see an example of what the final product looks like on one of our oral history websites, Home | Crossing Borders, Bridging Generations
    Brooklynhistory remove preview
    Home | Crossing Borders, Bridging Generations
    View this on Brooklynhistory >

Oralhistoryonline remove preview
    OHMS: Oral History Metadata Synchronizer - Louie B. Nunn Center for Oral History, University of Kentucky Libraries
    The Louie B. Nunn Center for Oral History at the University of Kentucky Libraries has created a web-based, system called OHMS (Oral History Metadata Synchronizer) to inexpensively and efficiently enhance access to oral history online. OHMS provides users word-level search capability and a time-correlated transcript or indexed interview connecting the textual search term to the corresponding moment in the recorded interview online.
    View this on Oralhistoryonline >

------------------------------
    Alexander Tronolone
    Manager of Teaching & Learning, Grades 6 - 12+
    Brooklyn Historical Society
    Brooklyn NY
    ------------------------------

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more