Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Young Professionals Fundraiser

Posted 06-28-2018 12:51 PM

Hi everyone, 

After a lot of research, my Museum gave me the green light to create and promote a fundraiser aimed at young professionals. This fundraiser will target guest, members and potential funders and members under the age of 40. However, there will be no age restriction and the community at large will be welcomed to participate and support the Museum. The theme for the evening will be "Games and Gaming from past to present" and will feature a variety of 80's and 90's throwback / retro games for the guests to enjoy. The atmosphere will be casual and relaxed and will include our collections-based exhibits and displays, casual fare, special formulated activities, and we hope to have several other fundraising opportunities.

Usually, our past fundraisers have mostly been really formal Galas with the guest list being over 50 years old, and though we do bring in some funds, we get complaints from the community that the ticket prices are too high for them to attend (Usually around $500 per seat). So a few other "younger" museum team members and myself came up with this fundraiser. This event is extremely different from what we usually do, and we feel like we are taking a risk. The tickets will be $30 general attendance and $50 VIP, with $5 off if they are purchased before the month the event is scheduled for.

This is the first large event me and my makeshift team have been responsible for, and we are excited! However, we are also nervous because we hoped to hit a goal of $30 K for this event and since the tickets are fairly inexpensive, we wont hit the mark with ticket sales alone. We thought about a raffle, but we cant seem to locate anything that we could raffle off that would have the draw necessary for guests to purchase the amount of tickets we'd hoped. Realistically, we hope to raise $15 k and keep working on making this event larger and more popular every year, but I cant help but to think that we could raise more.

So, two inquiries:

1) Does the price point seem realistic? or too high or low for the target demographic? 

2) Anyone has any other "inside the event" fundraising ideas that could raise funds that wont cost us a large chunk of our revenue? We are thinking about a silent auction, but the items donated are not as impressive as we had hoped. 

Any feedback and advice would be greatly appreciated! 

------------------------------
    Luis Cortes
    Executive Assistant
    Fort Worth Museum of Science & History
    Fort Worth TX
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Young Professionals Fundraiser

Posted 06-29-2018 08:46 AM
    Hi Luis, 

As a young professional $30 is a great price for an evening event--you could increase the tickets slightly the night of the event to try and capture additional revenue from walk-ins. For some auctions, we have offered exclusive behind-the-scenes tours of the museum or experiences with our scientists. Those experence packages generally sell better than items. If your scientists, curators, collections manager are amiable I would suggest tapping into their expertise.

Good luck!

Caitlin O'Brien
    Manager, Special Projects
    Academy of Natural Sciences of Drexel University
    Philadelphia PA

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Young Professionals Fundraiser

Posted 06-29-2018 09:17 AM
    Hey there! I worked in development for a few years and I think you can certainly charge more without it being too high, maybe $50 with an early bird of $40 and a VIP of $75 (though you'll need to figure out what he VIP perks are to warrant a higher cost).

Also look into a silent auction to raise some additional funds. 

Hope thats heloful! Let me know if I can be of further assistance!

samantha

Samantha Hirsch
    Education Director
    Poster House
    New York NY

• 4.  RE: Young Professionals Fundraiser

Posted 06-29-2018 09:29 AM
    At the last museum I worked at, we relied heavily on others in the community to support events like these to ensure that low ticket prices still equaled revenue for the museum.  Local grocery stores would contribute food, breweries and liquor stores would contribute beverages, etc.  We would even run a whale watching tour, and the tour company donated their services so that ticket sales went to support the museum.  We often did have auctions to supplement the events and local artists would sometimes contribute a piece, others would donate antiques, we even had an old record auction once that was really fun and successful.  Other nonprofits in the town had dessert auctions at dinner events that went over great.  Dinner was provided, but tables had to bid for their desserts, with some fetching hundreds of dollars each in the name of supporting an organization.  Desserts were all provided by local bakers for no cost.  We even started a brewfest that made significant profits for the museum.  Brewers donated beer, local hotels donated nights so that we could bring in out of town brewers, and local bands often performed at reduced rates.  This approach fostered amazing relationships between the museum and other organizations and individuals in the community (and they could it off as in-kind donations to the museum) and worked wonders to ensure that we could offer affordable events for the public.

Kristy Griffin
    Museum Registrar
    Wyoming State Museum
    Cheyenne WY

• 5.  RE: Young Professionals Fundraiser

Posted 06-29-2018 11:30 AM
    Hi Luis,

Good luck with your event! I work with a YP group at the Denver Art Museum called CultureHaus. They have their own YP board, which is great because they come up with new ideas each year that they know their demographic will be likely to respond to. So my first thought is that a larger committee or something outside of the "younger" group you already have could be helpful.

In response to your questions:
    1) That seems like a reasonable price-point to me but the question is - what does it include? Our group has been charging $85+ successfully but they are more established with a strong network and email list. They also offer an open bar and have all donated alcohol, which helps increase the value of the ticket price. You could always include a certain amount of drink tickets if you don't want to have a full open bar, but showing the value is generally important to this group. I agree that starting out at a lower price point makes sense to get the event started, although it also might make it more difficult to increase the price in the future.
    2) One fundraising vehicle CultureHaus has had a lot of success with has been a "blind-buy" in which there is a wide range of donated prizes at a range of values. Guests donate $20-$35 and they might get a high value "prize" (like an expensive bottle of wine or a night at the Four Seasons), or might get a prize slightly less than the value they donated, knowing that it is a risk. This has been very popular and sold out quickly each year - especially with a few high value prizes that can be promoted. 

Feel free to reach out with any other questions you might have!

Mary Beth Polce
    Major Gifts Officer
    Denver Art Museum
    Denver CO

• 6.  RE: Young Professionals Fundraiser

Posted 06-29-2018 01:49 PM
    Thank you for the feed back! This event has a drink ticket included in the ticket price with a lot of activities planned. We have karaoke, video games and a giant board games. This is the first attempt to reach into the YP crowd, with the hope that as they become more successful they will continue to contribute and advocate for us. The VIP ticket is going to feature a private lounge with nice seating options, their own cash bar in order to avoid the lines and their own activity. We are testing the waters with this event, but will be heavily advertising it internally and through social media and the community.

Luis Cortes
    Executive Assistant to President
    Fort Worth Museum of Science & History
    Fort Worth TX

• 7.  RE: Young Professionals Fundraiser

Posted 07-02-2018 09:42 AM
    Hi Louis,

I've enjoyed reading everyone's responses. There are some great ideas in there (I especially liked the dessert auction!). I just wanted to also suggest a 50-50 raffle as an additional fundraiser option on the night. In my experience these don't garner huge sums - I think the most I've seen was $800 (so $400 for the organization and $400 for the winner) but it requires basically no up-front costs or donations to make happen. All you need to do is have raffle tickets and a way to take cash. It usually helps to have price points that encourage greater ticket buying as well, e.g. 1 ticket for $1 but 10 tickets for $5, etc. It's also good to periodically announce the current total and prospective winnings. I would check your state laws about gambling since the prize is money but in most cases, non-profits are exempt as long as the amount is under a certain sum. Finally, I've never tried this, but I suppose you could bring it into the 21st century by using PayPal rather than taking cash. Lots of people don't really carry cash anymore, especially younger people (I know I don't), which could be a barrier to participation.

I hope it's a great success; I always like to see organizations who give adults license to play!

Michelle Nash
    Elkhart County Historical Museum
    Bristol IN