Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  hooks for paintings, seismic

Posted 04-10-2019 04:20 PM

Good afternoon.  I am currently part of a team designing a curatorial centre to accommodate a large, diverse collection.  Our design will include mobile paintings racks.  Since we are zone 4 in terms of seismic activity, we are designing with that in mind.  I was hoping to hear what kind of hooks people use to attach paintings to mobile racks particularly if you are in a seismic area.  I'd love to know what worked & what didn't.

Thank you.

Susan Maltby, Conservator

Maltby & Associates Inc.

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: hooks for paintings, seismic

Posted 04-11-2019 08:39 AM
    In 1995 Kobe, Japan experienced an earthquake registering 7.3 on the Richter Scale. In the local art museum there were many paintings hung on movable racks with S-hooks. Some of the S-hooks were made of mild steel, some of them were made of stainless steel. A number of mild steel S-hooks failed during the earthquake, straightening to such a degree that they no longer served to hold paintings. None of the stainless steel S-hooks failed.

--
    Guardian Fine Art Services
    Robert Sieger
    1635 W. St. Paul Ave.
    Milwaukee, WI
    414-252-0677 Ex. 113 office
    414-218-4865              cell

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: hooks for paintings, seismic

Posted 04-11-2019 09:21 AM

Thank you Robert. 

Sue

• 4.  RE: hooks for paintings, seismic

Posted 10-20-2023 12:56 PM

Hi Susan - 

Were you able to land on a suitable hook for your needs?

I'm looking for some better hooks for our system in San Francisco.

Kind regards,

Zachary Harper
    Collections Manager
    Asian Art Museum

------------------------------
    Zachary Harper
    Collections Manager
    Asian Art Museum of San Francisco
    San Francisco CA

• 5.  RE: hooks for paintings, seismic

Posted 10-20-2023 01:51 PM

Yes, I did.  I got a recommendation from a colleague in Victoria, BC - they are the same seismic zone that I'm dealing with.  She uses Takiya Muse hooks.  The Takiya rep. I was dealing with was in the US.  I'm not sure if he still is the rep, but here is his contact info:

JEFFREY ISAACSUS Representative - TAKIYA14507 Drexmore RoadShaker Heights, OH  44120email: jeff.us@takiya.com(c) 216 403-9162http://www.takiya.com/en/

He was very helpful sending several samples & a print catalogue.

I'd be happy to chat further, my email, susan.maltby@utoronto.ca, is the best way.

Take care.

Sue

Sue Maltby, Conservator
    IIC Fellow
    Maltby & Associates Inc.
    Adjunct Faculty, Museum Studies Program/Faculty of Information, University
    of Toronto
    174 Spadina Ave., #508
    Toronto, Ontario
    M5T 2C2
    416-921-2877
    Canada

• 6.  RE: hooks for paintings, seismic

Posted 10-20-2023 02:06 PM

Hi Sue - 

This is great tip, thanks so much!!

Zachary

Zachary Harper
    Collections Manager
    Asian Art Museum of San Francisco
    San Francisco CA