Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Volunteer Training Book for Cataloging

Posted 05-31-2017 01:02 PM
    Hello Friends,

I have been asked to create a little booklet or step-by-step sheet on how to accession and catalog artifacts, particularly into PastPerfect. I have been told to "dumb it down" because most of the people are seniors with very little computer experience. I plan to take a lot of screen shots of PastPerfect and put arrows where to go. I guess does anyone have any advice or any examples?

------------------------------
    Jakob Etrheim
    Collections Assistant
    Kandiyohi County Historical Society
    Willmar MN
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Volunteer Training Book for Cataloging

Posted 06-01-2017 07:35 AM
    Edited by Colin Windhorst 06-01-2017 08:00 AM
    This is a great idea to help volunteers over the "learning hump" in getting onto database entry in Past Perfect, or similar programs.  The company inspired training sessions are invaluable, but even these can be a little daunting for seniors who are unsure of themselves when faced with a computer.  Their online classes would make a great basis for such a guide, and I believe the company may have done some of the work already in their training materials.  A very simple user guide, such as you describe could be quite useful, though frequent repetition will always make process come alive for volunteers.  Please keep us posted.  I would be glad to participate.

Colin Windhorst PhD

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Volunteer Training Book for Cataloging

Posted 06-02-2017 11:57 AM
    Jakob,

If you email me at equinnva@ci.lacey.wa.us, I'd be glad to share with you the training tools I've developed for PastPerfect for just this issue. 

Erin

Erin Quinn Valcho
    Museum Curator
    Lacey Museum
    Lacey WA

• 4.  RE: Volunteer Training Book for Cataloging

Posted 06-01-2017 09:05 AM
      |   view attached
    Hello Jakob,

I've attached an example here that is much like you are describing. The whole thing (from working out the steps to taking the screen shots to writing and testing/editing) took about 2 days. The first half are directions on using our scanner and software but the second half (starting page 6) is about working with Past Perfect. I find it is still necessary to walk volunteers through the process a couple of times but I think they feel more comfortable knowing the guide is there, even if they don't end up needing to refer to it much once you have shown them the steps. Hope this helps. Good luck!

Michelle Nash
    Elkhart County Historical Museum
    Bristol IN

Attachment(s)

• 5.  RE: Volunteer Training Book for Cataloging

Posted 06-02-2017 05:18 PM
    For those who might be interested there is a Past Perfect Users Google Group: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/past-perfect-users-google-group.    If you share your question there, there are over 100 PP users who might be able to help.

Janice Klein
    Executive Director
    Museum Association of Arizona
    Tempe AZ

• 6.  RE: Volunteer Training Book for Cataloging

Posted 12-29-2017 01:11 PM
    I can't find the google group for PastPerfect mentioned in the previous post. Is there an updated link? I've been searching for a PastPerfect users group as we just acquired the program and I'd like to shorten the learning curve. I'm working my way through the manual and it's pretty involved. I'll be training some senior volunteers at some point--- no way I can do all the cataloging myself. :) 
    Thanks.

Rick McGill
    Vice President
    Granite County Museum & Cultural Center
    Philipsburg MT

• 7.  RE: Volunteer Training Book for Cataloging

Posted 01-01-2018 10:02 AM
    I believe this group is active.

https://groups.google.com/forum/m/#!forum/past-perfect-users-google-group

Craig Niemi
    Executive Director
    Cincinnati OH

• 8.  RE: Volunteer Training Book for Cataloging

Posted 01-01-2018 09:16 PM
    Yes it is.  I just joined it today. Thanks. Between there and here I'm sponging up all I can about PP5.... :)

Rick McGill
    Vice President
    Granite County Museum & Cultural Center
    Philipsburg MT
    rmcgill@blackfoot.net