Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Accessibility maps for house and garden

Posted 04-18-2017 11:19 AM

Hello –

I work at a house and gardens with eight acres of land and nine buildings.  Build in the 1940s there are several sets of steps scattered around the site, which can pose a problem depending on a guest's mobility.  The map we hand out does show steps if you are looking for that but not the path to take if you would like to avoid them.  Our gardens are self-guided so at times this can lead to some frustration on the part of the visitor.

Does anyone have a wonderful map they would like to share that I can send to our graphics people for ideas to update our map?  Right now, our solution is to have the ticket office employee mark the map up with a pen, which is not always easy to see, and depending on the person, they can at time forget spots.  Also, if you know of any other type of accessibility beyond mobility that should be addressed I would greatly appreciate your suggestions.  It might be easier to send maps to me directly by email - lcosta@longuevue.com

Thank you,
    Lenora

------------------------------
    Lenora Costa
    Curator
    Longue Vue House & Gardens
    New Orleans LA
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Accessibility maps for house and garden

Posted 04-19-2017 03:45 PM

We create mobile tour guide apps that visitors download on their own phone or rent a tablet tour guide that has the app pre-downloaded. A typical app has a full navigational map of the mansion as well as a GPS sync map of the garden. In both cases, the map shows the path to visitors, highlights the points of interest on the path, gives an audio tour of each point of interest, shows a script and allows to share on social media. It is a very successful approach - also a modern, mobile and personalized.

We offer these tabs and apps in a method where there is no investment from your side and we just

Snehal Shah
    Action Data Systems, LLC
    Barrington RI

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more