Open Forum

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Looking for examples of how museums fulfill their civic mission

• 1.  Looking for examples of how museums fulfill their civic mission

Posted 03-18-2019 07:39 AM
    Hello everyone,

I am working on writing a piece on museums and their civic mission, and am really looking for some interesting case studies on how museums work with their visitors/ audience/ community to:
    1. Build civic knowledge
    2. Foster a civic mindset
    3. Help cultivate a civic skillset
    4. Encourage civic action

Ideally I'd love to explore a broad diversity of institutional size, location, focus, mission, etc...

If your museum is doing great work in one or more of these areas, I'd love to chat with you.

Thank you,

------------------------------
    Anthony Pennay
    Chief Learning Officer
    Ronald Reagan Presidential Foundation
    Simi Valley CA
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Looking for examples of how museums fulfill their civic mission

Posted 03-19-2019 02:04 PM
    The Wing Luke Museum of the Asian Pacific American Experience does incredible work in centering the community in everything they do. I strongly recommend reaching out to them.

Mamiko Carroll
    Public Information Officer
    Hawaii State Art Museum
    Honolulu HI

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Looking for examples of how museums fulfill their civic mission

Posted 03-20-2019 11:25 AM
    For a thoughtful objective discussion, check out Chet Orloff's  "Should Museums Change Our Mission and Become Agencies of Social Justice?"
    at  onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/pdf/10.1111/cura.12189

Regards,
    Joe

Joe Elliott
    PhD student
    Galveston TX
    jmelliot@utmb.edu

• 4.  RE: Looking for examples of how museums fulfill their civic mission

Posted 03-20-2019 06:58 PM
    I heartily endorse speaking to Brooklyn Historical Society about the myriad ways they engage with their communities to raise awareness of and encourage active participation in history. They have a great track record raising funds from national orgs to individuals in support of this mission-based work. Brooklynhistory.org. 

Deborah Howes
    President
    Howes Studio Inc.

• 5.  RE: Looking for examples of how museums fulfill their civic mission

Posted 03-21-2019 05:36 PM
    Hi Deborah,
    Do you have a recommended point of contact at the Brooklyn Historical Society? Would love to reach out.

Anthony Pennay
    Chief Learning Officer
    Simi Valley CA

• 6.  RE: Looking for examples of how museums fulfill their civic mission

Posted 03-28-2019 02:02 PM
    I'm hoping my book Exhibitions for Social Justice will help provide some examples for you. It'll be out in July from Routledge's Museum Meanings series. 

All best,
    Elena Gonzales
    elenagonzales.org

Elena Gonzales

• 7.  RE: Looking for examples of how museums fulfill their civic mission

Posted 03-28-2019 04:03 PM

Hello Elena,

If you have some time, I would love to chat with you about your book and about some of the examples that might shed light on the work museums are doing to fulfill a civic mission. Sounds like it will be a great book!

• 8.  RE: Looking for examples of how museums fulfill their civic mission

Posted 03-21-2019 05:33 PM
    Hello Mamiko,
    Thank you- do you have anyone in particular you would recommend as a point of contact? 
    Tony Pennay

Anthony Pennay
    Chief Learning Officer
    Simi Valley CA

• 9.  RE: Looking for examples of how museums fulfill their civic mission

Posted 03-20-2019 08:36 AM
    I would be happy to share the work of Illinois Holocaust Museum. Through our exhibitions, including our ground-breaking Take A Stand Center, and our educational and public programming we work toward empowering our audiences to civically engage in their areas of passion and use their voices and choices to take a stand for humanity.

Kelley Szany
    VP, Education and Exhibitions
    Illinois Holocaust Museum and Education Center
    Skokie IL

• 10.  RE: Looking for examples of how museums fulfill their civic mission

Posted 03-21-2019 02:57 PM
    Anthony please feel free to contact me about our STEAM works initiative with underserved schools. Its an unusual program for a campus museum. 
    My direct line 305 348 1808 
    mmachado@fiu.edu

Miriam Machado
    CURATOR OF EDUCATION
    Frost Art Museum
    Florida International University

Miami FL

• 11.  RE: Looking for examples of how museums fulfill their civic mission

Posted 03-21-2019 08:21 AM
    Hello--
    Not sure if you're only looking at the US, but you may want to reach out to this organization: http://www.creativeeuropeuk.eu/funded-projects/reshape-reflect-share-practice-experiment?fbclid=IwAR2TX2zW4qBu6x8OHsDewpDhzCKwKxy5oLcokQmy1lcQMrVJg73nGONg1m4. One of its tenants is "How to upgrade audience development by practicing citizenship together?"
    Good luck,
    J. Baldwin

Joan Baldwin
    Curator-Special Collections - The Hotchkiss School
    Lakeville CT

• 12.  RE: Looking for examples of how museums fulfill their civic mission

Posted 03-21-2019 11:30 AM
    We've just redone our interpretive plan, and it will move us much more into the civics space. I'd be very happy to talk with you about that process offline.

Sarah Jencks
    Director of Education and Interpretation
    Ford's Theatre Society
    Washington DC

• 13.  RE: Looking for examples of how museums fulfill their civic mission

Posted 03-22-2019 11:18 AM
    If you are open to including Aquariums in your piece, we have several community-focused initiatives at the National Aquarium.  These programs connect guests, students and the community with their local environment, environmental careers and concrete opportunities to take both independent and collective conservation action in their communities. Our conservation-focused exhibitions also inspire and provide the tools for guests to take collective action to improve the health of their communities.
    I see our exhibitions and programs meeting all four of your examples: building citizen knowledge of their local environment; fostering a civic mindset--together we can make a difference in the health of our communities; cultivating a civic skillset by providing a range of concrete conservation actions and connections to other community conservation organizations; and encouraging civic action by communicating what the Aquarium is doing in our own "backyard," encouraging others to take similar actions in their own "neighborhoods," and spreading the word on social media. 

Happy to share more information or provide contacts,

Robin Faitoute
    Senior Exhibit Developer/Writer
    National Aquarium
    Baltimore MD