Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Young Affiliate Groups - NEW IDEAS?!

Posted 12-10-2019 01:49 PM

Hi there! We are a free-admission American Art and History Museum in Georgia. I am the membership manager and currently looking at changing up our membership structure. We have one group in particular that we are at a loss with what to do with them. The group is referred to as our "Young Art Patrons" and they are an affiliate group of our membership. This means membership in that group is an "add-on" to any membership level that you choose. 

The current "mission" for that group is to "Provide culturally enriching experiences for young adults (ages 21-40's)." One of the main benefits is access to exclusive YAP socials and related programs.

How the group has been run for the past two years has been with a "board" that decides on programming and events that the group would like to host. The Idea was that those board members would invest their time and effort into making those events successful. What we have actually found is that it is VERY hard to keep that board involved and active. This has turned into a lot of time taken out of my schedule to create, promote, and execute events for this group, which have had VERY low turnout.

I am looking for ideas on how to transform this group into something more appealing to the young audience (20s-40s) that we are trying to reach!

What has your museum done for membership groups for this age range that has been successful, or what have you seen done successfully at other institutions?

Thanks in advance!

------------------------------
    Hillary Scalmanini
    Membership Manager
    Columbus GA
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Young Affiliate Groups - NEW IDEAS?!

Posted 12-11-2019 09:03 AM
    I am really interested to see what ideas result from this thread - I think we are all feeling the pressure of engaging our younger-adult audience.

My 2-cents, adults between 21-40 yrs are very likely to have a child under the age of 13 in the house meaning they are incredibly short on time. Even if they really want to attend something they just can't fit one more thing into their lives. And for those who don't have kids, they are likely also quite busy between work, classes, and all the other responsibilities. Time is harder for people to spend time than money (if you aren't reading Colleen Dilenschneider start now! https://www.colleendilen.com/2019/12/04/compared-to-money-is-time-more-or-less-valuable-than-ten-years-ago-data-update/)

Anyway - that is to say, you might want to look at a family friendly angle that emphasizes adult engagement that is still ok to bring the kids. Alternately, instead of working on a bunch of small events through out the year you just have one really big event that committee members work towards. 

I hope a lot of good ideas or at least good questions surface!

Amanda Kepner
    Senior Manager for Institutional Processes
    Columbus Museum of Art
    Columbus OH

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Young Affiliate Groups - NEW IDEAS?!

Posted 12-12-2019 10:45 AM
    Thank you so much for bringing that up!  I'm 33 and I have three kids under 7, so time is really hard to come by.  I haven't been to an adult night in a museum (that I haven't worked) in years.  I would love to see an event that starts earlier that allows for maybe a beer or two that also allows kids?  Not even sure how that would work, honestly, but it's a fantastic idea to target younger adults with children. 

Thank you!!

Simone Seagle
    Tangerine Development, LLC
    Albuquerque NM

• 4.  RE: Young Affiliate Groups - NEW IDEAS?!

Posted 12-12-2019 10:30 AM
    I am also eager to see what comes out of this thread.

One helpful bit of direction-- the High in Atlanta has a very successful young adult membership program. They may be a good and somewhat local resource for you.

Mackenzie Finklea
    LinkedIn | Website

Mackenzie Finklea
    The Bryan Museum
    Galveston, TX