Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Volunteers and proof of vaccination

Posted 09-03-2021 10:17 AM

Is anyone requiring volunteers to show proof of vaccination?  We haven't been told we should, however we do have volunteers asking if other volunteers are vaccinated. Our staff have to show proof, however there isn't a mandate yet that volunteers need to.  It would be great to hear what others are doing.

Sincerely, Alison

Alison Bruesehoff (she/ her)

Executive Director

Direct Line: 562-206-2044

RLC_175logo-rectangle

4600 Virginia Road, Long Beach, CA 90807

Open to the public Wednesday through Sunday from 1:00 pm to 5:00 pm

680331_official-facebook-icon-png     instagram-png-instagram-png-logo-1455     twitter-logo

Sign-up for our e-newsletter here!

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Volunteers and proof of vaccination

Posted 09-03-2021 10:50 AM
    Morning! Washington National Cathedral's leadership is strongly considering proof of vaccination for volunteers, they announced requirement for staff this week. The Cathedral has multiple layers of consideration, including 3 schools on our campus and being the seat of the Episcopal Diocese of Washington. Many volunteers have expressed support for a requirement.
    I'm most interested in how organizations are managing (or thinking about managing) the process and tracking proof of vaccination, including updates with booster shots. We're still mostly closed so collecting proof would primarily need to be done securely on-line (and thinking many of our volunteers are comfortable with low-tech).
    Lots to think about!
       Jenn

------------------------------
    Jennifer Michaelree Squire
    Interim Director of Visitor Programs
    Washington National Cathedral
    Washington DC

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Volunteers and proof of vaccination

Posted 09-06-2021 07:52 AM
    I am a volunteer at the New York Botanical Garden and they are requiring proof of vaccination from all volunteers.  I believe that staff are also required to show such proof.

Alan Steinfeld MD
    Bronx NY

• 4.  RE: Volunteers and proof of vaccination

Posted 09-06-2021 11:46 AM
      |   view attached

We are having people sign a form that they are either vaccinated or being tested weekly and that they will not show up for volunteer shifts if they aren't feeling well. Here's what our county provided.

Dr. Elisabeth I. Ward

Executive Director

eward@losaltoshistory.org

(650) 948-9427 x 10

Attachment(s)

• 5.  RE: Volunteers and proof of vaccination

Posted 09-07-2021 12:57 PM

Hi Alison, 

I'm at The Huntington Library in San Marino, CA, and we are requiring volunteers to show proof of vaccination. We are collecting the info via an online attestation and then asking them to show their vaccination card to prove their status. Those who are unvaccinated as of today will not be able to volunteer on site until they are vaccinated. We are also allowing medical and religious exemptions for volunteers by the same process used for staff (done through HR). We are not collecting copies of their vaccine cards however. While vaccination status does not fall under HIPPA protected information, we are still treating their information sensitively. Please feel free to reach out if you have more questions since we are in the same county. 

Best wishes,

Brandi

Brandi Shawn-Chaparro
    Associate Director, Volunteer & Community Engagement
    Huntington Library, Art Museum, & Botanical Gardens
    San Marino CA

• 6.  RE: Volunteers and proof of vaccination

Posted 09-07-2021 03:02 PM
    Beginning on October 18, we will require all crew and volunteers to show proof of vaccination, or have an approved exemption.  The response from volunteers has been very positive.  In less than a week since being notified of the policy, 50% of our active volunteers have already submitted their records.  Most of our volunteers scan their records or take a photo and email them to me.  We also have a locked drop box in Human Resources for anyone that wants to drop off a physical copy. 

Our Human Resources team manages collection for all employees, mostly through Dayforce, and they also manage any applications for exemption from employees and volunteers.  I manage collection and record-keeping for all volunteers.

Paul Bishop
    Volunteer Programs Supervisor
    Space Center Houston
    Houston TX

• 7.  RE: Volunteers and proof of vaccination

Posted 09-07-2021 10:14 PM
    I am now a volunteer for the Jamestown-Yorktown Foundation in Williamsburg, VA, and all volunteers were required to provide proof of vaccination by Sept. 1st, using the same procedure that employees use. This required filling out a form and either sending it plus a copy (hard copy or electronic copy) of the individual's vaccination card via interoffice mail, by postal mail, or by email to the HR department. It was accompanied by a memo from HR detailing exactly how to submit the materials to protect an individual's confidential health information. Exceptions are allowed for stated health or religious reasons; the form and cover memo explained how to do this.

Hope this helps.

Martha Katz-Hyman
    Independent Curator
    Newport News, VA