Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Pests!!! Experience with live insect exhibits??

Posted 06-28-2019 04:16 PM
    Hello again!

This forum has been a wealth of knowledge, so I'm hoping to get some help with what might be a unique issue.

The Exhibits building of my institution is historic and old, which is to say it is not a purpose-built exhibiting building.  It's got cracks, gaps, and weird dead spaces from decades of renovations and add-ons that we're currently working on sealing up, but this will be a years-long project.

In the meantime, we have an ant formicarium exhibit that is very cool and popular.  Unfortunately, due to the nature of our building, the formicarium has caused pest issues already.  I need some creative solutions that will help make sure the formicarium doesn't become a pest attractant while still making a healthy environment for the ant colony on exhibit.

My major concern is trying to mask the smell of food and water from would-be invading pests (especially Odorous House Ants).  Any suggestions?  Anyone facing/has faced a similar problem?  ALL suggestions are welcome, no matter how off the wall they may be!!

Best,

------------------------------
    Catherine Bollich
    Museum of Northern Arizona
    Flagstaff AZ
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Pests!!! Experience with live insect exhibits??

Posted 07-01-2019 02:50 PM
    Years ago, the Natural History Museum at Harvard (also located in an old building) had an entire exhibition on ants including a live colony of leaf cutter ants. The ants were separated from the rest of the exhibition by Plexi panels with obvious gaps where they met.
    I asked the exhibition person how they kept the ants in check, and that person told me they had a grad students (from the zoology dept. I assumed) use a pheromone that the guard ants of the colony would exude to warn the other ants. They apparently frequently coated/painted (?) the potential exit points with the pheromone, and the ants stayed inside!
     I do not know if this is a readily available substance, but you might want to contact the Museum of Comparative Zoology at Harvard, one of the Museum's parent institutions, about how this was managed, or perhaps they have another good suggestion.

Regards.

Shelley Monaghan
    Instructor Museum Studies
    Harvard University

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Pests!!! Experience with live insect exhibits??

Posted 07-02-2019 10:07 AM
    Hi! are you able to post pictures? I could have our insect people at our invertebrate zoo take a look and give suggestions.

Parker McMullen Bushman
    Vice president of Programs, Interpretation and Exhibits
    Butterfly Pavilion
    She, Her, Hers

pmcmullenbushman@butterflies.org

Parker McMullen Bushman
    She, Her, Hers
    Vice President of Programs, Interpretation, and Exhibits
    Butterfly Pavilion
    Westminster CO
    pmcmullenbushman@butterflies.org

• 4.  RE: Pests!!! Experience with live insect exhibits??

Posted 07-09-2019 03:59 PM
    Hi Parker,

Unfortunately, the donor has already dismantled the original formicarium that was invaded.  Would your contacts at the invertebrate zoo be open to my contacting them for help and advice?  This is quite a unique situation for me!

Thank you!

Catherine Bollich
    Flagstaff AZ

• 5.  RE: Pests!!! Experience with live insect exhibits??

Posted 07-01-2019 07:59 PM
    Sounds like an interesting exhibit. However the attraction to unwanted guests is a little scary! Before I retired we did not have problems with ants in the museum, but I have had problems with ants in my house - especially in and around the cat's food bowl. I do not like to use lots of chemicals so have been experimenting with herbal products. What I use is powdered cinnamon - the cheapest one you can find. I sprinkle it along the ant trail and around the food bowl or whatever they are getting into. It messes with their ability follow the trail scent and coats them so they die. After a couple days i vacuum up the cinnamon and it usually ends the problem. You can sprinkle it in cracks or where ever the little beasties are coming in at.  Diatomatious Earth also works, but since it is white is really stands out and the cinnamon smells better!

Beth Sennett Porter

• 6.  RE: Pests!!! Experience with live insect exhibits??

Posted 07-02-2019 11:59 AM
    Hello, we fabricated an Ants exhibition featuring a live colony at the temporary location of the California Academy of Sciences in San Francisco in 2005 working with their Curator of Entomology Brian Fisher . The colony was collected in Costa Rica. I believe the ants made a break for it one night causing the museum to close temporarily. I would encourage you to reach out to Brian to discuss successes and pitfalls of displaying ants! I've attached two photos but couldnt find documentation of the enclosure itself. 

Basil

Basil Katz
    CEO
    Cinnabar
    Los Angeles CA

• 7.  RE: Pests!!! Experience with live insect exhibits??

Posted 07-09-2019 04:00 PM
    Basil,

Thank you for the contact!  I will reach out to him.

Catherine Bollich
    Flagstaff AZ