Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Mobile Museums

Posted 03-10-2019 03:17 AM

My name is Lisa Weiser and I am a volunteer writing on behalf of the Midwest Office of the Simon Wiesenthal center.  We are in the process of researching an RV or bus to build-out as an educational mobile museum. Any experience or information anyone has would be truly appreciated.   I can be reached on my mobile at 847-687-3066 or at my gmail address lisabweiser1@gmail.com

------------------------------
    Lisa Weiser
    Simon Wiesenthal Center Library and Archive
    Los Angeles CA
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Mobile Museums

Posted 03-11-2019 08:00 AM
    This sounds like a fun/cool project! It makes me think of the trend that's caught on where folks are converting vans in to small living spaces. Looks a few companies have sprung up that do the conversion for you. They're keen eye on how to make a lot with a little space may be the ticket for your mobile museum. Would love to watch this progress. Best of luck!

Robert Hamilton
    Design Manager
    Museum Arts, Inc.
    Dallas TX

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Mobile Museums

Posted 03-11-2019 11:22 AM

Hi, Lisa -

I suggest contacting Bolortsetseg Minjin about this.  She and her crew created a mobile museum out of a bus in Mongolia and have had good success with it.  "Boldra" (as her friends call her) is really nice and very enthusiastic.  :)

For the vehicle conversion, you could contact Sprinter-Tech.  They specialize in vehicle conversion (based on the Sprinter van platform but with experience on other vehicles as well), and are quite good with integrating technology into their builds.  (Full disclosure:  The owner is my cousin.) 

Cheers! 

Michael

Michael Holland
    Principal/Owner
    Michael Holland Productions

Redmond, WA USA

• 4.  RE: Mobile Museums

Posted 03-12-2019 09:06 AM
    HI Lisa,

HealyKohler Design has worked with 1220 Exhibits to design and produce several exhibits in retro-fitted Winnebago. Contact Valerie King at 1220 Exhibits in Nashville. 

Karen

Karen Jabo
    Business Development
    HealyKohler Design, Inc.
    Washington DC

• 5.  RE: Mobile Museums

Posted 03-13-2019 07:47 PM
    Hello, Lisa.

You should check out this initiative: Field Trip to Mars.

Cheers,

Farah Ajami
    Executive Director
    Fundacion Botanica y Zoologica de Barranquilla
    f.ajami@zoobaq.org
    +57 (5) 360 0314
    Barranquilla, Colombia

• 6.  RE: Mobile Museums

Posted 03-21-2019 03:24 PM

This is a company to consider.

http://gomra.com/

Jo-Elle Mogerman, PhD.

Pronouns:  she/her/hers

VP of Learning and Community

John G. Shedd Aquarium

1200 S Lake Shore Dr

Chicago, IL 60605