Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Ideas for Visitors Listening to Oral History

Posted 01-12-2018 07:14 PM
    I'm currently working on a show where I am interview local artists about their personal history in the arts community on this small island in British Columbia. I would like the visitors to be able to listen to the interviews during a small exhibition in the public library. The budget for this exhibition is all coming out of my own pocket, so I'm trying to keep things as cheap as possible. 

Any solutions for how visitors could listen to the oral history interview? My ideas so far have been:

-MP3 player with headphone- There is no security, so someone could easily take the player. I'm also uncertain of how to display the player. Is there a type of mount that others have used?

-Transcription- This would be a lot of work to transcribe all 10 interviews and I do not have any extra human-power.

-Playing on speakers- Unfortunately, people will be also reading panels, so the sound from the interviews might be distracting.

Any other suggestions would be welcomed, especially if anyone knows about a secure mount for a MP3 player.

------------------------------
    Regan Shrumm
    Curator in Residence at the Salt Spring Arts Council
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Ideas for Visitors Listening to Oral History

Posted 01-15-2018 09:02 AM
    What about something like this(see below)? I don't know how long the audio files are but this could play about 7 minutes of audio or about a minute and half for each button.  You can connect a headphone jack and remove the speaker.  Maybe someone in your local college or high school can do a free project to 3D print a case for you.

You can use an Arduino but this would be more involved.  If you know how to build using Arduino.  

5-button Push Musical Sound Module
    Amazon remove preview
    5-button Push Musical Sound Module
    You will get 1 Sound Module with 5 individual buttons & and ONLY one USB Programmer(regardless of quantity) SOFTWARE ONLY WORKS FOR PC, NOT FOR MAC Link to instructional video, and to download our FREE software will be sent with your order 5 buttons can play different or same music Ideal for ...
    View this on Amazon >

Raymond Stivala
    Manager of Web/Multimedia Development
    The Newark Museum
    Newark NJ

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Ideas for Visitors Listening to Oral History

Posted 01-16-2018 01:10 PM
    Perhaps you could enlist the help of a local college student to create a phone app and ask visitors to download it onto their own personal devices. That way you don't have the liability of a single mp3 player or anything like that. Similar to a historical walking tour or something like that.

You might need to have some over ear headphones available in case the visitors didn't bring along their own pair.

• 4.  RE: Ideas for Visitors Listening to Oral History

Posted 01-15-2018 11:47 AM
    At  both Ellis Island and the Arab-American Museum in Detroit, I enjoyed accessing oral history recordings through a classic telephone headset. I am not sure how the underlying mechanisms work, but they're simple and intuitive and it's possible to integrate them in design, if you care to. Perhaps those would be good places to contact. 

I have also experimented with wall-mounted focused speakers, but they clutter the room with noise and I don't think it's a strategy I'd repeat again.

Michelle Moon
    Director of Interpretation and Program Evaluation
    The Newark Museum
    Newark NJ

• 5.  RE: Ideas for Visitors Listening to Oral History

Posted 01-16-2018 09:41 AM
    ​You can always upload the interviews to YouTube, and then create a QR code from the YouTube link.  Anyone with a QR Reader app on their phone can then listen to the interviews.  You can "google" the entire process, which is time-consuming on the first iteration, but much quicker thereafter.

Up side:  this is all free and allows persons to hear the interviews even when they are not at your location (might bring in additional visitors).

Down side:  for those without a "smart" phone, this is not a viable option.

Good luck!  Let us know what you decide and how it works out for you.

Cynthia Riley
    Curator
    U.S. Army Chemical Corps Museum
    Fort Leonard Wood MO

• 6.  RE: Ideas for Visitors Listening to Oral History

Posted 01-16-2018 10:41 AM
    It can be part of a mobile tour guide app that visitors can download from Apple/Android or borrow a tablet. We have been doing these at a very low price. Let me know if you have an interest. www.ActionTourGuide.com

Snehal Shah
    Action Data Systems, LLC
    Barrington RI