Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Museum touch screen systems

Posted 06-19-2017 11:33 AM
    Our museum (a sports museum) currently has 7 touch screens throughout our gallery spaces that will be getting an overhaul this summer. Right now they house information about each teams history, lists of folks who lettered in a sport, team photos, etc. Our IT folks asked us to come up with any and all ideas as they prepare to revamp the kiosks. What's the best touch screen experience that you have at your museum or that you've seen at others? What's the worst that we should avoid?

Thanks!

------------------------------
    Aimee Brown-Shadduck
    Programming/Education Coordinar
    Penn State All-Sports Museum
    University Park PA 16802
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Museum touch screen systems

Posted 06-20-2017 08:52 AM
    Hi -

There was an excellent discussion and thorough response in the Museum Junction in January.  Search for "Videos in Galleries," or the following link may work.
    Videos in Galleries  

Greg Moss
    Museum Planning Committee
    International Society of Antique Scale Collectors (www.isasc.org)
    Pittsburgh, PA

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Museum touch screen systems

Posted 06-20-2017 10:12 AM
    Very old example but still works. The touchscreen along the timeline at the National Constitution Center, Philadelphia. Visitors answer a few simple question to find out if they can vote during a particular time period in America. There is a touchscreen every time the laws have changed along the timeline. It is a very revealing experience. Simple and fast educational take away. The graphic design has much to be improved, yet the experience and how ties to the rest of the exhibit is good.

Mariano Desmaras
    Creative Director
    Museum Environments LLC
    New York NY

• 4.  RE: Museum touch screen systems

Posted 06-20-2017 10:51 AM
    Edited by Raymond Stivala 06-20-2017 11:00 AM

What you need to know is the size of the touch screen that you are looking to have in the gallery. This will make a big difference on what type of devices you should use.  Anything larger than 12" tablet I would recommend ELO touch screens with Intel NUC computers, they are small and we have them installed without issue for about 8 months now.  Our biggest issues were visitors accidentally turn off the monitors.  I taped over the power button and this solved the issue.

If you are looking for 12" size tablets I would recommend either Microsoft Surface Pro 3 or 4 also if you want a 10" tablet you can use the Microsoft Surface 3 (Note, no "PRO" in the name) or the Samsung Galaxy <g class="gr_ gr_60 gr-alert gr_spell gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim ContextualSpelling ins-del multiReplace" id="60" data-gr-id="60">Tabpro</g> S which is a 12" tablet that I just started using this and they are much cheaper (these are all Windows 10 tablets).  I don't recommend iPads as they are expensive and would require expensive development costs and you are stuck in the App world.

I have written software for our Windows tablets to use the camera to detect motion.  This allows me to dim the screens and lower the volume which allows the tablets to stay cool and conserve power.  As soon as a visitor walks in front of the tablet it brightens and raises the volume and is ready for use after about a minute of inactivity the tablet will rest to the homepage and dim the screen.  Also with Windows tablets development cost is much cheaper, I installed Windows local web server (IIS) and build most of my interactives using HTML 5 CSS3 with Jquery and display it using Google Chrome.  I also wrote code with AutoHotKey to lock down Windows (no need for expensive fancy programs) and I have the computers reboot every night and email me a notification that they booted.  If I don't get an email I go and check the tablet to see if anything is wrong.

Also using Windows tablets and running a local web server your development costs are much lower because you just have to hire a web designer that can design for fullscreen interactives.  You can also use programs like WordPress and Google Analytics.

I have uploaded some images of what I have done.  They include the ELO with the NUC computer, the Magic Mirror, and some of the tablets I have developed.  In the picture, you can see one tablet is dimmed while the other has brightened because the one tablet has detected my motion but the other did not.  I also developed an Android App (Coburn.jpg).  If you would like to see more pictures let me know and I will upload more images.

I hope this helped and if you have any other questions please let me know.

Raymond Stivala
    Manager of Web/Multimedia Development
    The Newark Museum
    Newark NJ

• 5.  RE: Museum touch screen systems

Posted 06-20-2017 11:07 AM
    I find there are four significant issues in developing gallery tech that
    are rarely handled well, but make a big difference when they are:

1) User testing the interfaces. Visitors--who have no opportunity to get
    used to unexpected controls--often find them more difficult to use than
    we expected (that's more or less true of everything that isn't
    user-tested first).

2) Estimating maintenance effort. Broken technology in galleries is common.

3) Working the interactive experience into the flow of the gallery. If
    it takes too long to experience the device, then only a fraction of
    visitors can use it, as most visitors will see an occupied chair or
    screen and just pass by.

4) Acknowledging the social nature of museum visits. How much gallery
    technology works well for a couple or a family? Not much.

I don't want to share specific examples! But I think all of us recognize
    these as pretty common issues, and I've certainly built some that had
    problems in one or more of these areas. If you can think about some of
    these in your planning, you'll end up with a better product.

Good luck,
    Matt

• 6.  RE: Museum touch screen systems

Posted 06-20-2017 12:22 PM

I take the "KISS" approach to my interactives.  If you look at some of the images the menus are simple and big. What I have done is to take a picture of the objects in the case then display the case on the tablet, this allows the user to find what they are looking for quickly.

These tablets are all in the same area and the interface is the same on all of them so when a visitor uses one tablet in one area the experience is the same on the others which <g class="gr_ gr_1209 gr-alert gr_gramm gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim Grammar multiReplace" id="1209" data-gr-id="1209">helps</g> to reduce the learning curve, again KISS.

I have tablets that have been in use for over 2 years and are just now showing signs of problems (Screen burn).  With my new software that dims the screen, this should reduce this issue and allow the devices to run cooler and in turn run longer.

The devices do get a lot of activity and I have had comments from visitors (who were museum people watching visitors use our tablets for their own research) say people had no issues using them and the kids felt it was like a game. (which was not my intention but I guess that's a good thing).

The devices do go down sometimes but I would say the same thing about lighting in the museum, sometimes a light burns out and you need to fix it.  For the most part, the tablets work and what I feel is the most important part is the design of the interactive.  You can't design them like a website you MUST Keep It Simple Stupid (KISS) so the visitor can access the content quickly and easily and if the visitor wants they can find more information.

Raymond Stivala
    Manager of Web/Multimedia Development
    The Newark Museum
    Newark NJ

• 7.  RE: Museum touch screen systems

Posted 06-21-2017 12:29 PM
    The most important things for the visitors are -

1. Interact with stationary touch screens
    2. Walk around with a fully guided tour on mobile device (their own or rented or free pick up at the gate)
    3. Take the story home
    4. Share the story with friends and family

We have created a platform that allows museums to do all of the above things without writing any code at all. Since the platform is ready and proven with millions of visitors using it, the costs are very low. You may want to check it out. Mobile Tour Guide App Platform for <g class="gr_ gr_1301 gr-alert gr_gramm gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim Style replaceWithoutSep" id="1301" data-gr-id="1301">Museums,Walking</g> Tours, Driving Tours, Visitor Attractions-ActionShow App
    Actionshowapp remove preview
    Mobile Tour Guide App Platform for <g class="gr_ gr_1302 gr-alert gr_gramm gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim Style replaceWithoutSep" id="1302" data-gr-id="1302">Museums,Walking</g> Tours, Driving Tours, Visitor Attractions-ActionShow App
    A platform for attractions to create Apple & Android apps that visitors download on their own phones to use as tour guides. Low cost, sets up in weeks and replaces audio guides.
    View this on Actionshowapp >

Snehal Shah
    Action Data Systems, LLC
    Barrington RI

• 8.  RE: Museum touch screen systems

Posted 06-22-2017 09:20 AM
    When designing you should carefully consider accessibility at the outset of design to make sure the experience can be accessible to as many visitors as possible. There are various ADA guidelines for Kiosk design that should be followed. Also if the experience is solely visual the museum should think about an auditory option/compliment for visitors with vision impairment. 

Some references below:

ADA kiosk
    Kiosk Industry remove preview
    ADA kiosk
    Regulatory agencies have a profound effect on the business of self-service. The kiosk industry group monitors the development & implementation of regulatory bodies and, where possible, we participate in the regulatory process by educating and informing agencies regarding our members & businesses. Question For Day - Are kiosks installed prior to 2010 ADA regulations subject to 2010 regulations?
    View this on Kiosk Industry >

1. Ahlstrom, V., and Longo, K., Human Factors Design Standard (HFDS), Washington, D.C.: Federal Aviation Administration, 2003.
    2. Bullinger, H., Kern, P., and Muntzinger, W.F., Design of Controls.  In Salvendy, G. (ed) Handbook of Human Factors, John Wiley & Sons, New York, NY, 1988.
    3. Drury, C. G., Task analysis methods in industry, Applied Ergonomics, 14.1 (1983), 19-28.
    4. Drury, C. G., Paramore, B., Van Cott, H. P., Grey, S. M. and Corlett, E. N., Task analysis.  In Salvendy, G. (ed) Handbook of Human Factors, John Wiley & Sons, New York, NY, 1988.
    5. Dumas, J. S., and Redish, J., A Practical Guide to Usability Testing, Ablex, Norwood, NJ, 1993.
    6. Fain, W. B., & Folds, D. J., An approach to measuring accessibility of office automation equipment. In Proceedings of the Human Factors and Ergonomics Society 46th Annual Meeting. Santa Monica, CA: Human Factors and Ergonomics Society, 2002.
    7. International Organization for Standardization, Guide 71: Guidelines for standards developers to address the needs of older persons and persons with disabilities, ISO/IEC, Geneva, Switzerland, 2001.
    8. Mercinelli, M., Accessibility Requirements for New Telecommunications Equipment, A COST 219bis Guidebook, COST 219bis, European Commission, 1999.
    9. Microsoft, Microsoft Windows guidelines for accessible software design, 1999.  (No longer available.)
    10. MIL-HDBK-46855a, Human Engineering Program Process and Procedures, Washington, D.C.: Department of Defense, 1999.
    11. National Council on Disabilities, Design for Inclusion: Creating a New Marketplace. Washington, D.C, 2004.

Mark Osterman, Ed.D.
    Adult Learning and Engagement Manager
    Vizcaya Museum and Gardens
    Miami, FL 33141