Open Forum

View Only

Tweetchat about the future this Thursday

• 1.  Tweetchat about the future this Thursday

Posted 03-27-2018 08:12 AM
    Hi, all. I will be moderating a CFM tweetchat this coming Thursday, March 29, from 3 – 4 pm ET, hashtag #Museum2040. Your crowdsourced input will be used to build out the world the AAM community began to describe last fall in Museum 2040. You can read more about the chat, and how to participate in this blog post.

I'll be lobbing the following questions to the Twitterverse (see examples of the kinds of answers I'm hoping to draw out of the crowd). If you'd rather contribute some thoughts here on the forum, that would be great!

Q1: What's a headline you can imagine reading in 2040, that captures an important aspect of this future?

Example A1: In This Small Town, Most Toddlers Attend Preschool in the Local Museum

Q2: Tweet something you overhear in 2040: could be in the board room, in the exhibit gallery, online. (OH is tweet-speak for "overheard.")

Example A2: OH this morning in the coffee shop "I told my doctor I was feeling down all the time. He prescribed 3 hours a week at the art museum. So I'm asking my insurance company to cover it…"

Q3: @adamrozan's article in Museum 2040 envisions the rise of "hybrid organizations" that incorporate elements of museums, schools, wellness centers, eldercare, social service providers, houses of worship, and more. What real-life museums are already exploring this "hybrid" future?

Example A3: The Museum of Street Culture in Dallas runs a homeless services agency called the Stewpot.

Q4: @sarahsutton's article in Museum 2040 sees a future in which museums are major influencers when it comes to climate resilient. What real-life museums are already helping their communities plan how they will adapt to climate change?

Example A4: The @museumofnaz devoted several of their Future of the Colorado Plateau Forums to community discussions of climate change, including water needs and impact on tourism and recreation.

Q5: @oeatonmartinez' article in Museum 2040 explores museums' role in truth and reconciliation in the US. What real-life museums are fostering dialogue around the US's history of oppression?

Example A5: the @EJI_org's new Legacy Museum:  From Enslavement to Mass Incarceration, explores the evolution of racial terror lynchings and legalized racial segregation and racial hierarchy in America. 

------------------------------
    Elizabeth Merritt
    VP Strategic Foresight & Founding Director, CFM
    American Alliance of Museums
    Arlington VA
    ------------------------------
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more