Open Forum

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Lookiung for AAM Session Co-Facilitators - "Truth" in museums

• 1.  Lookiung for AAM Session Co-Facilitators - "Truth" in museums

Posted 08-21-2017 10:48 AM
    ​​Hello!

I am looking for co-facilitators for a roundtable session I am proposing to the 2018 AAM Conference on the subject of what we choose to present as "truth" in our museums.

For decades studies have repeatedly found that people trust museums to tell the truth.  Yet, at a time when traditional media have been marginalized as sources of accurate information, can museums be far behind? 

Facilitators will lead discussions and encourage participants to consider questions such as:

> Are our museums vulnerable to claims of presenting "fake" information?
    > Do we deserve the public's trust?
    > How is the content of our museum biased?
    > What perspectives are we missing?
    > Are we telling the whole truth? (Why or why not?)
    > What steps can we take to ensure we do not break the trust of our visitors?

Ideal facilitators will not only have experience leading energetic, inclusive discussions, but will also have grappled with such questions in their own museums.

------------------------------
    Elizabeth Chilton
    Manager of Curatorial Affairs
    Arab American National Museum
    Dearborn, MI
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Lookiung for AAM Session Co-Facilitators - "Truth" in museums

Posted 08-22-2017 08:14 AM
    Hi Elizabeth,

I am very interested in this topic, and would like to talk to you about it further. Perhaps over email?

Sincerely,
    Laine Snyder
    Executive Director
    Zanesville Museum of Art
    Laine@zanesvilleart.org

Laine Snyder
    Executive Director
    Zanesville Museum of Art
    Zanesville OH

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Lookiung for AAM Session Co-Facilitators - "Truth" in museums

Posted 08-22-2017 10:40 AM
    I too am very interested in this topic and would like to be considered. My email is aalbright@clintonhousemuseum.org.

Angie Albright
    Director
    Clinton House Museum
    Fayetteville AR

• 4.  RE: Lookiung for AAM Session Co-Facilitators - "Truth" in museums

Posted 08-23-2017 03:46 PM

Thanks for your interest in helping to facilitate the session I am proposing.

Hoping you can tell me a little bit more about some of the ways you have grappled with these issues in your role. 

Also - do you have experience leading discussions with 5-10 people?

-Beth

Elizabeth Chilton
    Dearborn MI

• 5.  RE: Lookiung for AAM Session Co-Facilitators - "Truth" in museums

Posted 08-23-2017 04:07 PM

I'm happy to!

I am the director of the Clinton House Museum. Bill and Hillary Clinton were married in this house and started their professional careers here. Their early lives, the period we cover, is straightforward and easy to talk about. Their later years require some delicate truth telling. Some of the struggles of the Clinton White House directly affected many area residents, some in positive ways, and some others very negatively. We work all the time on how to tell the more sordid stories while not inflating them in a way that takes over the actual period of the house. We also don't want to be just a Church of Clinton either. One of the other challenges in our truth-telling is that the subjects of our museum are still living and still have thriving careers, so the story and truth is always shifting.

I was an English professor for nearly 20 years and I provide nonprofit training and workshops. I'm a dynamic, experienced presenter and speaker, and I'm an excellent discussion leader! In fact, I miss that part of teaching very much.

Angie

Angie Albright, Director

Clinton House Museum

930 W. Clinton Drive

Fayetteville, AR 72701

479-444-0066

www.ClintonHouseMuseum.org

• 6.  RE: Lookiung for AAM Session Co-Facilitators - "Truth" in museums

Posted 08-23-2017 09:28 AM
    What a great topic for discussion.  I have long said that museums are in the truth business...the question is who's truth...?  I think the public holds museums in high esteem regarding the concept of truth because of our collections.  We preserve evidence as proof of some truth or another.  Visitors assume that what they see in our galleries is what we say it is - be it a Van Gogh painting, a moon rock, or, the chair Lincoln was sitting in at Ford's Theatre when he was assassinated.  It is why museums avoid acquiring fakes and are quick to correct the record when one is discovered to have been accessioned.

The veracity of our collections is powerful.  It is why the only thing that makes museums different from other entities is the real thing.

Love this subject!

Steve

Steven Miller
    Executive Director
    Boscobel House and Gardens
    Garrison NY

• 7.  RE: Lookiung for AAM Session Co-Facilitators - "Truth" in museums

Posted 08-22-2017 10:12 AM
    Hi Elizabeth,
    I would be very interested in participating as a co-facilitator. As someone who has made documentary and museum films for many years (see www.bluebearfilms.com) and who teaches film and media arts at American University in Washington D.C., the question of "truth" is at the forefront of most discussions. When we turn a lens on the past, whose stories are we representing? From what perspective? Based on quantitative or qualitative sources? I recently presented a paper about "The Greeks: Agamemnon to Alexander the Great" - an expansive traveling exhibition for which I designed and produced the films and immersive media - at the International Society of Arts in Paris. The collaborative process among curators, designers, researchers, across 22 Greek museums and 4 North American museums, pivoted frequently around these questions. How are we conveying the past to today's audiences? It's a great topic for an AAM Session.
    Maggie Burnette Stogner
    President
    Blue Bear Films

Professor, Film & Media Arts
    American University, Washington D.C.

maggiestogner@me.com
    571-331-8007

Maggie Stogner
    Blue Bear Films
    Annapolis, MD
    maggiestogner@me.com
    571-331-8007

• 8.  RE: Lookiung for AAM Session Co-Facilitators - "Truth" in museums

Posted 08-22-2017 11:17 AM
    Hey Elizabeth, 

This is my 47 year working in and with Museums, the last 20 at the Smithsonian.  Truth-telling or even truth determining is a political and ethical act.  At the SI, it was heavily influenced by politics and the primary source of funds; everything from climate change to colonialism, and racism were regular professional debates.  Now that I have formed my own museum consulting firm, Chora, we are involved with clients confronting the issue of truth and whose truth is to be represented.  One current project involves the Lumpkin's Slave Jail Project in Richmond.  Richmond was the national hub in the domestic slave industry, a history that has been repressed for 150 years and now is to be told.  Even the name of the Jail is in debate as current residents do not want the name of this cruel and inhuman man to be perpetuated in the museum interpreting this historic site.  Whose truth is to be told, what truth is to be told, what is to be remembered, what is to be forgotten;  all these issues are being discussed at community consultation meetings and in professional workshops.  The removal of the Civil War monuments in Richmond compounds the issue of what constitutes history, what constitutes memory, and how we socially deal with collective trauma.  It is a vital discussion for museums today.  I have no clean answers, but I think I know some of the good questions to ask...cheers, Sully

Robert Sullivan
    Partner
    Washington DC

• 9.  RE: Lookiung for AAM Session Co-Facilitators - "Truth" in museums

Posted 08-22-2017 06:14 PM
    Edited by April Slabosheski 08-22-2017 06:17 PM

Greetings Elizabeth,

What a great idea for a roundtable. "Truth" in museums is something I've thought about a lot and would very interested in co-facilitating a roundtable with you. These are questions we are considering from an education perspective at the Oregon Jewish Museum and Center for Holocaust Education with regard to Holocaust history, Jewishness, and also with regard to local histories of discrimination and resistance. At OJMCHE we strive to present knowledge/"truth" from a curatorial perspective while making space for the creation of knowledge through visitors' perspectives and meaning making. Our approach to student visits centers on exploring primary sources in our core exhibits - propaganda, discriminatory measures, objects of cultural history and Holocaust history, among others, to actively engage students in critical inquiry toward cultivating media literacy skills. I've been thinking a lot about the role of multiple truths in a museum setting especially in our current climate of fake information and think the questions you present are essential for museum professionals right now. I'm especially interested in exploring the imperative to incorporate visitors' perspectives while navigating the potential limits of meaning/"truth" making in the museum space. I'll be co-facilitating a panel on meaning making and incorporating multiple perspectives at the Oregon Museums Association conference this summer and I'd love to keep engaging museum professionals on this topic at AAM. (I'm also an experienced conversation facilitator and work as a conversation leader with Oregon Humanities' Conversation Project program, this is one of my favorite things to do!) I would love to talk more about these issues if you're interested. Shoot me an email - I'd love to connect! 

aslabosheski@ojmche.org

All best,

April

April Slabosheski
    Manager of Museum and Holocaust Education
    Oregon Jewish Museum and Center for Holocaust Education
    Portland, OR

• 10.  RE: Lookiung for AAM Session Co-Facilitators - "Truth" in museums

Posted 08-23-2017 12:53 PM
    Elizabeth,

This is an excellent concept for a facilitated discussion session.

As someone who has spent many hours developing conceptual frameworks, themes and sub-themes for exhibits, then also worked to develop marketing approaches for the very same exhibits, I have had broad exposure to the related issues and ongoing questions. I am a proponent of the idea that museums choose which stories to tell, and they also choose the objects that illustrate the desired/chosen concepts. Having real objects indeed is central to what makes museums special (as Steven Miller has noted), but we sometimes can and do have our own prejudices involved when adopting desired learning outcomes and the like.

When the artifact/topic/subject matter itself is already politically touchy, I believe we must avoid the temptation to take the "easy way out" by choosing a particular point of view because of political expediency and/or correctness, or the desire to somehow avoid all conflict. Instead I have attempted in my team-focused work to showcase two, three or more perspectives in these kinds of exhibitions, held together by a common theme, and then left it up to viewers to determine what they find useful or compelling to take away as a learning outcome.

My museum background includes railroads and the California Gold Rush (think big business, labor unions, government regulations, workforce safety, environmental issues, immigration, and the list of politically charged topics goes on) and more recently, military aviation (even more interesting in terms of the touchy subject matter involved, and currently rather politically charged in ever-changing and sometimes unexpected ways). I'd be delighted to participate in and/or assist with this roundtable if you think my presence could be helpful.

Paul

Paul Hammond
    Executive Director
    March Field Air Museum
    Riverside, California

• 11.  RE: Lookiung for AAM Session Co-Facilitators - "Truth" in museums

Posted 08-23-2017 12:57 PM

Hi Elizabeth, 

I think that "truth" in the museum is a very interesting, relevant topic. As someone who works in a science center, my first thought was actually about how we work with cultural and community partners to diversify the faces, voices, and knowledge presented in the museum. We have co-developed several projects with cultural curators, and at ever step we have to address what truth to tell and how. And, when we present an understanding of the sky, the environment, or similar topic using a lens other than a familiar interpretations of Western science, people in and outside the museum can get very uncomfortable. People always say, "But that's not science! That's not the truth. Should that be in our museum?" 

Thank you for bringing this topic forward. If this is an angle that you're interested in including in the session/discussion, please be in touch.

Best, 

Kyrie

Kyrie Kellett
    Senior Exhibit & Program Developer
    Oregon Museum of Science and Industry
    Portland OR

• 12.  RE: Lookiung for AAM Session Co-Facilitators - "Truth" in museums

Posted 08-25-2017 11:51 AM
    Elizabeth,

Your session proposal promises a needed platform for this timely debate. As an archivist concerned with social justice issues, one question I have been grappling with is whether museums and libraries as institutions with broad public trust can infiltrate information bubbles, breaking the flow of online content to introduce multiple perspectives. The core structure of the internet is a linked archive, so when content posted to radicalize opinion get clicks, likes, and shares, it leads to more of the same. What role can museums play in encouraging reflective discourse using digital records of their collection to intercept these threads? Additionally, by sharing collections in new online spaces there is potential to use this exchange to incorporate a wiki-model for descriptive metadata. In turn, would adding crowd sourced content to collections records encourage a more democratic, inclusive, and "truthful" record of the history we preserve and record?

I'd love to explore these questions and more by participating in this conversation!

Kara Jefts
    Collections Assistant, Jane Addams Hull-House Museum, Chicago, IL
    kjefts@uic.edu

Kara Jefts
    Art Historian, Archivist
    Jane Addams Hull-House Museum - University of Illinois at Chicago
    Chicago IL

• 13.  RE: Lookiung for AAM Session Co-Facilitators - "Truth" in museums

Posted 08-29-2017 07:10 AM
    Hi everyone:

thank you all for your interest in taking part in this session!

I have lined up facilitators for this discussion. I hope the session we are proposing is chosen by the AAM do we can all meet in Phoenix and talk in person!

- Beth

Elizabeth Chilton
    Dearborn MI