Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Engagement numbers from Social Media

Posted 04-15-2020 10:14 AM
    Since museums are not open to the public and engaging with their community through social media platforms, can you tell me if you are capturing those analytics? Will you consider those numbers a certain segment of attendance in your reporting? Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks

------------------------------
    Kelly Bradshaw
    Administrative Associate
    Oklahoma State University Museum of Art
    Stillwater OK
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Engagement numbers from Social Media

Posted 04-16-2020 10:22 AM
    Following. I have similar questions.

Akane Henriquez
    Systems Manager
    Chicago History Museum
    Chicago IL

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Engagement numbers from Social Media

Posted 04-16-2020 11:13 AM
    Hi Kelly,
    We are capturing those numbers, both reach and views, for all our digital posts/offerings. We are reporting/sharing those numbers with our board, donors, sponsors and funders, and using them to inform decisions about future posts/offerings. Funders in our area are particularly interested to know if our social/digital tours and activities are meeting a need in the community or if they are just things we thought we should do. The numbers help us demonstrate that there is both an interest and a need, especially when coupled with community and teacher survey responses.

Best,
    Keni

Keni Sturgeon
    Executive Director
    Wenatchee Valley Museum & Cultural Center
    Wenatchee WA

• 4.  RE: Engagement numbers from Social Media

Posted 04-16-2020 12:02 PM
    Hi Kelly,
    We have expanded our online offerings considerably, with very positive results with both media and our followers, including a lot of new followers. I think that Keni's response summed-up our process perfectly in describing ours as well!
    Cheers,
    Ted

[Ted] [Huetter]
    [Sr. PR and Communications Mgr.]
    [The Museum of Flight]
    [Seattle] [WA]
    [Ted]

• 5.  RE: Engagement numbers from Social Media

Posted 04-16-2020 06:13 PM
    LONG MESSAGE -- 

Kelly, I'm definitely capturing key analytics from our social media since our temporary closure started March 17. There's been no indication yet from leadership whether they will count the social analytics toward our attendance totals, but we are definitely using them to demonstrate that we're meeting the terms of certain grants. 

The social analytics that are most meaningful for our Museum are engagements, shares, and comments/questions. Of course, we're also keeping an eye on number of followers because the Board always wants to know that's increasing. 

Here's an example of how I'm tracking our analytics on a spreadsheet (very quick-and-dirty, but it gets the job done when everything is so crazy right now!):

Date Topic Video (Y/N) Live or Recorded Facebook
    17-Mar St. Patrick's Day do-at-home science experiment Y Recorded 63 engagements
    4 shares
    2 comments/questions
    18-Mar Manatee Mondays - minute of manatee zen Y Recorded 1,152 engagements
    106 shares
    26 comments/questions
    19-Mar "Mars Curiosity Rover Snaps Its Highest-Resolution Panorama Yet" - curated from NASA N N/A 102 engagements
    10 shares
    4 comments/questions
    20-Mar Collie's release and manatee care Y Live 2,300 views
    18 shares
    49 comments/questions
    20-Mar "Collie the manatee returns to the wild" N N/A 571 engagements
    32 shares
    2 comments/questions
    21-Mar Tales Under the Tree virtual story time - "At Home with the Gopher Tortoise" by Madeleine Dunphy Y Recorded 258 engagements
    18 shares
    2 comments/questions

I hope this helps!

Remi Gonzalez, APR
    Director of Communications and Brand
    The Bishop Museum of Science and Nature
    Bradenton FL