Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Tracking Digital Program Metrics

Posted 05-06-2020 05:11 PM
    ​Colleagues,

Greetings from Madison! I'm writing to see how others track impact on social media with the content that is shared. (Apologies for any duplication.)

Currently we track in-person attendance, in-person program numbers, and in-person outreach numbers (where a staff member goes off site to give programs) as well as tracking off-site visitation to traveling exhibits or interaction with travel trunks in schools. However, as we are moving to more and more digital programming, including live programs and as we see in the future our in-person programming might be supplemented by live streaming of the same event, we're looking to our peers about how they track the numbers of participants in their programs at a distance. How do you track your social media, video sharing, and website engagement?
    Some scenarios that we are debating how to count them:

I. We offered a Drink and Draw program in-person for a few years and this Friday we are going to go on-line with it. We have over 100 people signed up for it and expect more and the reach is much farther than our local audience. Because of this, we will probably keep the on-line component even when we return to in-person programming. How would you count and track the event participation in this case? Some is digital, some is in-person and the two together is total participation. If you were to report this in an attendance number for over all visits to the museum, how would you report it?

II. You create a video story about an artifact your collection. You put it up on Facebook as an ad, which means it gets served to a wider audience than your FB page with some money behind it. Is this considered a program? An educational activity? How would you count the reach and interaction on this particular video?

III. You post about photos in your collection three times a week. Where would you count the engagement with that photo? As an education program? As digital outreach? As an online exhibit?

IV. You have a virtual exhibit tour on your website. You get pageviews from Google Analytics. How would you count those numbers? As an outreach activity? As a digital outreach activity? You also have traveling exhibits that have people visit them in other communities. Do the numbers for the virtual exhibit get included with the traveling exhibit numbers because they are all outreach?

V. Staff participates in presenting online workshops, speeches, panel discussions, and other outreaches - many of them events that normally would be (and have previously been) done in-person. What numbers do you track, and what category (digital outreach, advertising, outreach, other) do you put them in?

I appreciate any and all perspectives.

------------------------------
    Christopher Kolakowski
    Director
    Wisconsin Veterans Museum
    Madison WI
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Tracking Digital Program Metrics

Posted 05-07-2020 11:37 AM

Christopher, 

I am so glad you posed this question. Unfortunately I don't have expertise to offer but I have tried to pose questions like this for different webinars I've been seeing pop up. I haven't seen any answers come up yet. I would love to follow this thread and learn more. 

Best, 

Sara

Sara Arnas
    Grant Writer
    David & Alfred Smart Museum of Art - University of Chicago
    Chicago IL

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Tracking Digital Program Metrics

Posted 05-08-2020 10:45 AM

Christopher, 

Thank you for posting about this, as we have been wondering how to accurately track digital engagement as well. 

We already keep track of our social media numbers, so information about people engaging with posts about collection objects or boosted posts that become ads are recorded in the analytics section of each social account. We keep this data in a spreadsheet so we can compare across fiscal quarters and years. We keep track of posts and "engagement" (which is defined slightly differently on each site, but is essentially likes and comments). 

We are keeping track of virtual program attendance the same way we keep track of in-person programs - we record the number of people who join the webinar, whether it is a workshop or lecture, and this is relatively easy to do with Zoom or similar systems. Where this is trickier is with Facebook/YouTube/Instagram live, where people drop in and out rapidly. That's where our confusion comes in - can we could everyone who viewed it, even for a few minutes? Pre-pandemic, we recorded everyone who came into our museum, and to be honest we are a small historic house museum and people spend anywhere from 10 minutes to 2 hours inside. That could be somewhat analogous to someone only watching 2 minutes of a 45 minute program, no? 

Another tricky platform is Instagram Stories - we have a baking program that has been really popular, but the # of people who view the first story in the series can differ by 50 from the # of people who view the last story in the series. Which do we record? 

I'll be following this thread closely and any suggestions are welcome! ​​

Sheridan

Sheridan Small
    Education Manager
    Dumbarton House NSCDA
    Washington DC