Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Free admission for other local museums

Posted 03-15-2017 08:39 AM

Does anyone offer free admission and other perks to the staff of other museums in their regional area?  If so, does it include just regular admission, admission to special exhibitions, discounts to café/gift shop?  Any help is greatly appreciated.

Lisa A. Macioce, CPA, MBA

Chief Financial Officer

THE FRICK PITTSBURGH 

7227 Reynolds Street

Pittsburgh, PA 15208 

Direct dial: 412-342-4068

LMacioce@TheFrickPittsburgh.org

www.TheFrickPittsburgh.org 

FCollects_Stacked_4C_FA_400w

The Frick Collects: From Rubens to Monet

Through May 14, 2017

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Free admission for other local museums

Posted 03-16-2017 08:54 AM
    I actually don't know what my own museum's policy is, but I know that when visiting any other museum, anywhere, I definitely try "I work at a museum" and show my business card and ID. It gets me in free almost everywhere - definitely big museums. Usually it gets in one guest of mine too, but sometimes just me. I can name on one hand the places it didn't work - usually very small regional museums. 

This is may be outside your inquiry, but do you know about NARM? North American Reciprocal Museum Association. If you're an institutional member, you can offer as a perk to your members free admission to any other museum in the network.

------------------------------
    Andrea Rosen
    Curator
    Fleming Museum of Art
    Burlington VT

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Free admission for other local museums

Posted 03-16-2017 09:44 AM
    We offer free admission to all museum professionals from anywhere, as long as they show membership in AAM, AASLH or NEMA (or other are professional assn).  I think we're great advocates for our partner institutions, and I want to encourage that. The Essex National Heritage Area also has a program that provides free admission for volunteers to other sites in the region.

Susan Goganian
    Director
    Beverly Historical Society
    Beverly MA

• 4.  RE: Free admission for other local museums

Posted 03-16-2017 09:59 AM
    We offer free admission to our local Boise Museum Association members' volunteers and staff (volunteers must have 60+ annual hours and employees must be full-time). You really have to evaluate how dependent you are on revenue. Your bottom line could be different than other museums that rely more on annual giving or endowments, etc. It's okay to not offer it to "everyone" in the museum business if it impacts your ability to keep the doors open. We, for example, are nominally priced and offer free admission days several times a year anyway. 

Hope that helps!

Amber Beierle
    Sites Coordinator
    Old Idaho Penitentiary
    Idaho State Historical Society
    Boise ID

• 5.  RE: Free admission for other local museums

Posted 03-16-2017 12:01 PM
    We offer free admission for local Museum professional only after they show work ID. Family and friends will pay regular admission price.

Shannon Stout
    Membership Manager
    Museum of the American Revolution
    Philadelphia PA

• 6.  RE: Free admission for other local museums

Posted 03-16-2017 05:21 PM
    Lisa,

The museums and historic sites on the Virginia Peninsula and in South Hampton Roads offer reciprocal admission to staff of member museums and, depending on the museum, to volunteers and, in some instances, a guest. Only 2 of them offer a discount for their gift shops. You can find out more by contact the Secretary of the South Hampton Roads Museums Forum, Emily Kilgore, who is assistant curator of history at the Portsmouth (VA) Museums.

Hope this helps.

Martha Katz-Hyman
    Williamsburg VA

• 7.  RE: Free admission for other local museums

Posted 03-20-2017 03:53 PM
    We're part of SCFD (Scientific and Cultural Facilities District) in Denver and have access to a number of other local museums and cultural centers with our Staff Badge.  Usually it includes admission for just me to the regular exhibits.  If there's a temporary exhibit with an added cost, then I have to pay that.  I'm pretty sure we can also receive discounted theatre tickets at the Denver Center for the Performing Arts.  But, the reciprocity varies, depending on which tier the organization falls in.  

Amber Parham
    Museum Educator/Performer
    Denver Museum of Nature & Science
    Denver CO

• 8.  RE: Free admission for other local museums

Posted 04-04-2017 10:18 AM
    We extend free admission to museum employees and just ask that they show a business or membership card.  And, my experience mirrors those of others chiming in here--I ask about reciprocity for museum employees any time I visit another institution and have never been turned down.  

Robin Sarratt
    Vice President
    LancasterHistory.org
    Lancaster PA