Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Social Media Engagement in during the Pandemic

Posted 04-20-2020 09:50 AM
    Greetings,
    As a Curator that started in my position (my first out of Grad School) on basically the first day of the pandemic lockdown in my state, I wanted to find a way to connect with the public and keep the museum active in the times we currently face. So on April first, I started a 30 journey through our Collection's most interesting and beloved artifacts with the hashtag #SASM30DaysOfAviation. I have found this to be well received and the museum's Social Media is seeing solid and consistent activity. That said, my first project is now about to come to an end as April wraps up and I was wondering what other ways you all have been engaging with your communities and Social Media followers. Any advice for an excited rookie would be welcomed!

Cheers,
    Jeremy

------------------------------
    Jeremy Davis
    Curator
    Stafford Air & Space Museum
    Weatherford OK
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Social Media Engagement in during the Pandemic

Posted 04-21-2020 08:09 AM
    Jeremy, I love your #SASM30DaysOfAviation idea! What's worked extremely well for our museum is developing a regular social media schedule that's connected to our mission, and sticking to that every week so people know what to expect. 

We're a natural history museum with a planetarium and a manatee rehab facility, so the weekly schedule I developed is Manatee Mondays minute of zen, Star Talk Tuesdays, Wow Wednesdays, "In My Backyard" on Thursdays, and Meet the Manatees on Fridays. All of those post at noon every day. On Saturdays we do a kids' story time called Tales Under the Tree, which always posts at 3. Most of these are long-form videos -- around 5-10 minutes. In normal times that would be way too long, but now that people are stuck at home desperate for ways to entertain and educate themselves and their kids, these work extremely well. Our engagement is way up!

Hope this helps!

Remi Gonzalez APR
    Director of Communications and Brand
    Bishop Museum of Science and Nature
    Bradenton FL

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more