Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Visitor Journey Mapping

Posted 10-30-2018 10:24 AM
    Hi folks,

Have any of you conducted a visitor mapping study of your museum or outdoor site?

My organization consists of multiple sites (historic, public gardens, recreational, agricultural) and I am looking for recommendations for vendors and researchers who could help conduct and analyze how visitors navigate and circulate through our properties. I am currently applying for a grant to support this, so I am specifically looking for cost estimates that could then be applied to an RFP should the grant be approved.

Feel free to email me directly at: dsteinmann@thetrustees.org

Many thanks!
    Danielle

------------------------------
    Danielle Steinmann
    Director of Visitor Interpretation
    The Trustees of Reservations
    Boston MA
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Visitor Journey Mapping

Posted 10-31-2018 09:56 AM
    I do this informally by using The Museum security cameras. Whenever we make a change to our exhibits I review the cameras in the area by looking at recordings before and after the change. It is very enlightening. It is amazing how much visitor engagement can be affected by lighting, object placement, and interpretive materials.

John Jenkins
    President & CEO
    SPARK Museum of Electrical Invention
    Bellingham WA

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Visitor Journey Mapping

Posted 11-02-2018 12:22 PM
    Hi everyone,

My experience has been that zoos and aquariums are really at the forefront of this work in the cultural sector. Here in Chicago, I know the Lincoln Park Zoo, the Shedd Aquarium, and Brookfield Zoo all do some variation of journey mapping.

Would love to hear more about other types of museums that do!
    Elena

Elena Gonzales
    Independent Scholar, Curator

• 4.  RE: Visitor Journey Mapping

Posted 11-05-2018 01:25 PM
      |   view attached
    Vizcaya conducted a study of mapping how visitors explore the grounds. This was accomplished with a map-based mapping app (Trails) running on mobile devices. We created this study by modeling it on the study done by the Morris Arboretum at the University of Pennsylvania which piloted this for one month in summer 2015. This study was developed by Stacey Kutish, Digital Interpretation Strategist Morris Arboretum of the University of Pennsylvania.

This worked very well for us and we were able to obtain interesting data. Attached is a brief presentation of the study. Attached is a basic overview presentation of the study. 

Mark Osterman, Ed.D.
    Adult Learning and Engagement Manager
    Vizcaya Museum and Gardens
    Miami, FL 33141

Attachment(s)

pdf
    Visitor Mapping Overview.pdf   851 KB 1 version

• 5.  RE: Visitor Journey Mapping

Posted 11-07-2018 09:52 AM
    Thank you, all, for your comments and wisdom.
    Cheers,
    Danielle

Danielle Steinmann
    Director of Visitor Interpretation
    The Trustees of Reservations
    Boston MA