Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Explorer Bag Checkout Process

Posted 05-02-2017 01:52 PM
    Hi all,

We have a self-guided backpack program for walk-in visitors to explore campus. Each backpack has tools and supplies that need periodic replenishing (i.e. paint supplies, bird seeds, etc). The backpacks are also seasonal, so our desk staff might only check out a bag two months out of the year. 

Currently our backpack checkout is in a binder, with details on what materials need to be checked. (Our bags are sold as tickets through Altru, but I don't think that has any sort of check out system.) I have found, though, staff often get in a hurry to check out and rush through the binder, missing a few points to check off. Then, when I go back a month later, part of the bag is missing or empty. Any recommendations on helping the check out process run more efficiently, so staff can complete the transaction quickly without forgetting to mark off items on the list?

Thanks for any advice!

------------------------------
    Allison Clark
    Visitor Experience Manager
    Minnetrista
    Muncie IN
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Explorer Bag Checkout Process

Posted 05-03-2017 08:22 AM
    Hi Allison!! :)

When I interned for MOHAI (Museum of History and Industry) in Seattle, they also had explorer packs that visitors could check out. I was responsible, in part, for the management of the backpacks.

The system was pretty simple; the front admissions staff would have two big plastic bins for the backpacks, one for "new" and one for "used". Once a visitor finished using the backpack, they'd return it to the front desk and they'd chuck it into the "used" bin. Once it filled up, I'd take the "used" ones to the back and sort through them, clean the materials and double check them for all the supplies. If anything went missing, I had a stock of extra items to replace it. Only after this process was complete, the packs could go back on the floor to be checked out again by visitors. 

I think this would help at Minnetrista a lot because it takes a lot of strain and stress off the staff renting out the bags, they just have to hand it over to the visitor and mark that it's been checked out. :) 

Claire Aldenhuysen
    Museum Educator
    National Model Aviation Museum, Academy of Model Aeronautics
    Muncie IN

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more