Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Interpretation and Design

Posted 07-31-2017 06:33 PM
    What are some great examples of museum interpreters working with exhibitions or graphic designers to create amazing museum experiences?
    Interpretation is an inextricable part of the design process, especially in the early conceptual phase. I'm curious to learn about how other designers partner with museum interpreters and educators in a meaningful way, so I hope some of you will share your success stories of collaboration. Thanks all!

------------------------------
    Skye Malish-Olson
    Exhibition Designer
    Dallas Museum of Art
    Dallas TX
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Interpretation and Design

Posted 08-01-2017 08:24 AM
    Good question, Skye. I would recommend that you speak with Richard Rabinowitz of American history Workshop in NYC, whose N-Y Historical Society show on African Americans in colonial New York was excellent. See his book, CURATING AMERICA. Ken Yellis, in Newport, RI has done some excellent shows, notably at the Peabody Museum (Yale). Marvin Pinkert, director of the Jewish Museum of Maryland, worked on the outstanding show at the National Archives Experience. And I've had some good experience with designers, most notably at the Boott Cotton Mill Museum at Lowell National Historical Park (NPS) and the Louisville Slugger Museum and Visitor Center.

Avi Decter, Managing Partner, History Now
    Author, INTERPRETING AMERICAN JEWISH HISTORY AT MUSEUMS AND HISTORIC SITES

Avi Decter
    Managing Partner, History Now
    Philadelphia PA

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Interpretation and Design

Posted 08-01-2017 12:28 PM
    ​I heard a fantastic presentation by member of the Museum of Science and Industry in Boston a few years ago at AAM. They overhauled their design process so that content producers (editorial/curatorial/education) worked with designers at an earlier stage in the process to create more labels with visual material. In other words, what information originally conveyed textually could be represented in a timeline, a map, a graphic of some kind. It was fantastic.
    Victoria

Victoria Lyall
    Curator, Frederick and Jan Mayer Curator, Pre-Columbian Art
    Denver Art Museum
    Denver CO